Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT Windshield - too tall

I have come to the conclusion that my windshield is about 2" too tall, so it brings me to my next questions:
    1) I heard that the 2011 is shorter, can anyone confirm or know how much shorter? Anyone have a 2011 that would like to trade for a taller one?
    2) Where can I get mine cut and polished?
    3) I have looked at some internet resources on how to cut and polish, looks doable, anyone do it?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The 2011 is 25" tall X 24" wide. p/n 705004851
    The 2010 is 27" tall X 25" wide. p/n 705003777
    New Touring is 23" tall X 22" wide. p/n219400243 Retail is $249.99

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Yes I did it twice. First time I took 2 inches off with a 1 inch taper on both sides. Second time I took another 1 inch to suit my height. I like looking over the shield. Just tape it up and draw the line with a pencil. A jigsaw worked for me then a good sander with 80 grit paper first then 120. I finished by polishing with blue magic on 150 emery cloth. It looks great. Don't be afraid, it is an easy thing to do. By the way, I did it on a workmate bench and clamped it down but covered the windshield were it wasn't taped so not to scratch it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RTs windshield is vertically adjustable... You could just not run it all the way up while touring, yet keep that extra height available if the need arises...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've got the same problem. I NEVER run the windshield all the way up. At most, I run about 2" shy of the maximum height.
    By cutting the windshield down, I won't lose anything on the high side, and I'll gain 2" more exposure on the low side to help in the heat.

I've cut other windshields before using the method described by Tonga, except I made the cut with a Dremel, and then finished it off the way he described.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I did once run the windshield all the way up in heavy rain

but my helmet got buffetted all over the place, 2" from the top seem about right and find the top of the wind shield very distracting

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kagen View Post
    but my helmet got buffetted all over the place, 2" from the top seem about right and find the top of the wind shield very distracting
    Interesting. My head gets buffeted around more with the windshield down.

As the others mentioned, if you do cut it down, use some heavy masking tape, make your radius mark on the tape itself, and a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade, cutting through the tape will help prevent any chipping.

Or, if you are patient, there are some 2011 owners with the smaller shield wanting to trade for the larger one.

Best of luck.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

No problem with chipping even with a coarse blade. I found that 3 inches off the top and an inch off both sides work great for me I only wear a half helmet and don't find buffeting and when up all the way stay dry in the rain.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have done some some substantial trimming on an 84 -87, Gold Wing windshield for my . I started with a sabre saw but it was too slow then I went crazy and used my 4 1/2 in angle grinder with a super thin metal cutting blade. I t tends to melt the plastic so you have to go slow and stay away from your final cut line. Then I used my belt sander attached to the workbench to do the final shapeing. Then use progressively finer grades of wet sand paper [the dk blue kind ] on a rubber block. It will come out as smooth as a babby's a s. Good Luckl

Spyder Garage

I have cut down a couple of windshields ifind my band saw does a good job be sure to tape before cutting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...then I went crazy and used my 4 1/2 in angle grinder with a super thin metal cutting blade. I t tends to melt the plastic so you have to go slow and stay away from your final cut line. Then I used my belt sander attached to the workbench to do the final shapeing. Then use progressively finer grades of wet sand paper [the dk blue kind ] on a rubber block. It will come out as smooth as a babby's a s. Good Luckl
    Thin (1/32"-1/16" thick) abrasive cutoff blades are the safest way to cut plastic windscreens. As BlueKnight mentions, they tend to melt the edge as the cut progresses and significantly reduce the possibility of stress fractures that can destroy the windscreen. A small handheld high speed cutoff tool works best, as it's easier to control.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)