Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I guess I was a bit generous when I called the OEM wires 7mm. But in the industry I'd say they would be considered 7mm wires. You can't really count the rubberized shielding as that only serves to protect the spark plug wire from heat and probably gives it some stiffness to help the carbon core last longer.

Normally, larger wire is to accomodate a larger electrical core. You need a certain amount of insulation and dielectric material between the electric core and the exterior to prevent leaking voltage.

If I were to put a similar rubberized sleeve on these wires they would be over 10mm.

Anyway, I got a set made for Harvey (SpyderPops) today, since he is in Emergency Mode with his stock wires. It took me too long but I wanted to be careful. I'll get faster as I go along. I am pretty happy with them.

I am interested to hear what Harvey thinks about the set he'll get. I am sure he will give me an honest (brutally so) opinion.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What about this for the outside

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I guess I was a bit generous when I called the OEM wires 7mm. But in the industry I'd say they would be considered 7mm wires. You can't really count the rubberized shielding as that only serves to protect the spark plug wire from heat and probably gives it some stiffness to help the carbon core last longer.

Normally, larger wire is to accomodate a larger electrical core. You need a certain amount of insulation and dielectric material between the electric core and the exterior to prevent leaking voltage.

If I were to put a similar rubberized sleeve on these wires they would be over 10mm.

Anyway, I got a set made for Harvey (SpyderPops) today, since he is in Emergency Mode with his stock wires. It took me too long but I wanted to be careful. I'll get faster as I go along. I am pretty happy with them.

I am interested to hear what Harvey thinks about the set he'll get. I am sure he will give me an honest (brutally so) opinion.

Hey Ron, you might want to check out this web site. www.zeusinc.com .
    I've become interested in your quest and did a Google for" hi-dielectric strength shrink tubing".
    Maybe one of their products would work as the protective covering for the high tension wire.
    Just a thought..............

bill

Spyder Garage

Ron, I sure would like to get a set of those wires before I change out the plugs in my RT.

Let me know when you can send them, or I can take a run over there and let you install them for me!

Jack

Spyder Garage

Default The wire shows 8mm, so thought it probably was.

Wan't going to give anyone the opportunity to tell me what 'assuming' will get you.

I should have checked the size, but just went with the R-8 on the wire to mean an 8mm wire. Also curious about the heat shrink tubing Bill Pitman mentioned and how it will perform.

Always good to see the experts on these subjects help those of us still learning about the Spyders and all of their quirks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post
    Wan't going to give anyone the opportunity to tell me what 'assuming' will get you.

I should have checked the size, but just went with the R-8 on the wire to mean an 8mm wire. Also curious about the heat shrink tubing Bill Pitman mentioned and how it will perform.

Always good to see the experts on these subjects help those of us still learning about the Spyders and all of their quirks.
    The only print I saw on the stock wires was under the tubing. I tried to pull that back some to see if I could expose enough to get the size from the wire. Usually the wire will give the size. R-8 should mean Risistor 8mm. Was that on the inner wire or on the outer shield?

Spyder Garage

Default Printing is on the inner wire

I had removed the outer rubber cover to see if I could get any more info including a part number. The photo a few posts earlier shows that info. I had always found that the R stood for resistor and the number was the size just as you described. Either way, I replaced them with Belken 8mm resistor wires then put extra shielding around that in the form of a rubber gas line. This combo went into the larger wire loom. The original wire loom was too small after I had added the extra shielding. Seems to work well so far and if the weather is good tomorrow, I will test it some more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    Hey Ron, you might want to check out this web site. www.zeusinc.com .
    I've become interested in your quest and did a Google for" hi-dielectric strength shrink tubing".
    Maybe one of their products would work as the protective covering for the high tension wire.
    Just a thought..............

bill
    Sounds interesting but would only add cost and labor to the finished product. I'd say the Accel wire I'm using has everything it needs. While adding another layer couldn't hurt, I am doubtful that any additional benefit would be achieved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post
    I had removed the outer rubber cover to see if I could get any more info including a part number. The photo a few posts earlier shows that info. I had always found that the R stood for resistor and the number was the size just as you described. Either way, I replaced them with Belken 8mm resistor wires then put extra shielding around that in the form of a rubber gas line. This combo went into the larger wire loom. The original wire loom was too small after I had added the extra shielding. Seems to work well so far and if the weather is good tomorrow, I will test it some more.
    Sorry, missed the picture, but I see what you mean. Maybe NGK put the number 8 there so we would assume they were 8mm. I didn't squeeze the wire at all with the calipers. I zeroed it twice and tried it twice with a slip fit and it gave the same exact reading each time. Somebody has their 'Wires Crossed Up' somewhere!

Researching spark plug wires is like trying to get solid information about oil! Everyone has their story, everyone's product is the best and everyone elses stuff is JUNK!. Not much documentation but the numbers fly as if there were charts and data all over the place! They can't all be right!

There may be better wires out there than the Accel +300 racing wire I'm using. But how far do you really want to go? This wire is designed to handle much higher voltages than we will ever see on our Spyder and continuous temperatures above 500 degrees. That should more than do the job, and if not, I'd say you have issues that wires are not going to fix.

One very nice feature I'm finding with this custome set is the spark plug boot is about 1.5" longer than the stock boot. It has a lip at the top and it is very easy to grasp and pull. It is a very high quality silicone that slides on and off like silk yet gives a very good seal in the spark plug.

The stock spark plug boot is nestled down into the plug port to where you have to bend it out away from the engine to get a good grip on it.

There are spark plug boot puller tools out there, but there isnt' much room to work. And I've done damage with those tools as well so they aren't necessarily a magic bullet.

Spyder Garage

There has been some question as to whether or not I plan to market these wire sets. The answer is yes. Now that I have the part set I want to use nailed down I have ordered more. As soon as I get these parts in I will start making sets.

I really don't think people are going to want to do this themselves. You'll need a $100+ crimping tool, the only way you can get some of the components you need is to purchase bulk amounts or pay quite a bit for a universal kit and throw most of it away.

You may be able to get oem style components and make a set that way with less trouble. But to get the kind of quality I'm looking for it just isn't sitting there in a set that you can put together.

Spyder Garage

Default Good value is always a good idea

Like most people, I do not paying fairly for a premium product. Any idea what your price points will be?

I too like the longer spark plug boot. Makes it easier to get on and off without so much chance of damage.

Spyder Garage

Sign me up. Let me know when you have supply and a price Ron.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I have not sat down and figured the price for these wire sets yet. I plan to sell wire sets and wire sets with plugs. But I think the price will be reasonable. Especially since the alternative is OEM plugs that aren't going to last.

I will let everyone know when I am able to ship some sets out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Waiting like a Vulture over a limping prairie dog over this one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I read somewhere that the 2012's are going to use the iridium kind.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I read somewhere that the 2012's are going to use the iridium kind.
    I have heard the same thing. Strange, isn't it? I've been trying to convince people to go to the Iridium for some time, (of course I sell them so my opinion is suspect, and I understand that). It's just like me trying to get people to change the transmission filter with EVERY oil change (instead of every other time as recommended by BRP). Again, I sell the filters, but my reason is not to sell more filters, but because if I owned an auto, I would certainly spend the additional $5 per change to A) get that old oil out of the transmission and B) put a fresh new filter in.

Maybe someday, BRP will come around to my way of thinking on that.

The party line from BRP has been that Iridium plugs don't make any difference. And I would tend to agree, to a point. In the first few thousand miles there probably isn't enough difference between the two to bother, especially as the Iridium is more expensive.

But after about 3,000 miles the Iridium starts to pull away. At 10,000 miles you should have changed your stock plugs and the Iridiums are still performing like brand new.

So, the Iridium plugs are actually less expensive when considering just the change interval alone, not to mention you're getting better performance and fuel mileage for several thousand miles compared to the OEM plugs.

And we have not even mentioned the additional maintenance repuired with an OEM plug. I'm really glad the BRP is coming around to my recommendation!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Waiting like a Vulture over a limping prairie dog over this one!
    SpyderPops got his Proto-Type set today. Initial reports are good. But that's only regarding how the look. (They do look impressive if I do say so myself).

But once they are installed and the tupperware is on, they only way they will impress is if they work well. That report should come soon. We are at T-Minus ?
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-28-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

.....It's just like me trying to get people to change the transmission filter with EVERY oil change (instead of every other time as recommended by BRP). .....
    BRP issued a bulletin to dealers about a year (or more) ago, changing the schedule to replace both filters at every oil change.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SpyderPops got his Proto-Type set today. Initial reports are good. But that's only regarding how the look. (They do look impressive if I do say so myself).

But once they are installed and the tupperware is on, they only way they will impress is if they work well. That report should come soon. We are not at T-Minus ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    BRP issued a bulletin to dealers about a year (or more) ago, changing the schedule to replace both filters at every oil change.
    Really! Well, shows you how much I've been paying attention to the RT. I guess if I owned one I'd be more up to date. Still, a lot of Spyderlovers are buying just 1 trans filter for every 2 engine oil filters.

Spyder Garage

Really! Well, shows you how much I've been paying attention to the RT. I guess if I owned one I'd be more up to date. Still, a lot of Spyderlovers are buying just 1 trans filter for every 2 engine oil filters.
    This change applies to both models.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Cowtown is doing something with the spark plug wires when they are doing the Performance upgrade. They change out to a hotter plug, change out the spark plug wires, install Ram Air, green air filter and Two Brothers Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

This change applies to both models.
    Sorry, I meant to say SE, not RT. Of course they would recommend the filter change in all Electric Shift models.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I meant to say SE, not RT. Of course they would recommend the filter change in all Electric Shift models.
    See what you get when you visit the forum when you are tired. No need to be sorry, I just wanted to clarify for those that aren't aware. I never understood the wisdom of filter changes every other oil change. Auto manufacturers used to specify this. How silly!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

See what you get when you visit the forum when you are tired. No need to be sorry, I just wanted to clarify for those that aren't aware. I never understood the wisdom of filter changes every other oil change. Auto manufacturers used to specify this. How silly!
    Seems like I'm always tired these days. Tired and more tired. I guess that's what they meant when they said I could Re-Tire!

Thanks for keeping me straight! We knew what we were talking about but I don't want to lead anyone else astray.

And I am with you. I never, even as a kid, changed oil without changing filters. That is just plain crazy! I understand that the Trans filter probably isn't getting that dirty. But why leave the old oil in the system? And for a few bucks you can put a new filter in anyway. Just never made sense to me.

I heard from SpyderPops tonight. He rode a few miles on the new wire set. Says so far it's really solved some problems for him. I'll let him tell the story after he gets back from his long ride this weekend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...and hoping that the news remains good...