Spyder Garage

Default Demo Ride in Wildwood, NJ

Yesterday I took a BRP demo ride. I had to fill out paper work and watch a video even though I told them I already own a 08 RS. I wanted to try an RT (sm5) without dealer hassles. We took a nice ride for about 30 min and got it up to 50+ mph. I thought we'd just go around a few blocks for a few minutes. Any way the RT was great. Soooo smooth and super quiet. I was also playing with the radio. That's a nice feature. I'm just still not sure if it's worth $28,000 +-. I'm sure those of you that have an RT will say it's with it but I'm just not there yet.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Demo Ride $28k No Thanks

I'm with you, that's nut to ask $28k for a machine that has a little v twin trying to push that much weight/ wind resistance. I think Can Am has a great idea but is just using what they have to put this machine together, problem is we have no other choice for this product. If BMW or Honda were to produce one of these, customers would be flocking to them, imagine a real motor for touring...if you ever needed any parts, just a few days and they are there. I have a backrest on order for several weeks...it's 2011 folks, once in awhile I understand but a backrest in the accessory catalog?? I just have a basic Spyder but if I had read this forum very much I would probably not made the purchase. Good news is that I still have the trusty Beemer in the garage, cruises at 70 mph @ below 3500 RPM, shaft drive with single sided swingarm-have never had to check the tension once, too bad I could not just drop that engine/driveline in the Spyder. Good luck on your decision but I would NOT do it

Spyder Garage

I don't think it will happen. Way too much money for what you get. As for parts: I had to wait weeks to get my spider fixed because as my service guy told me "you know, Canada is another country" Are you kidding me!! Isn't fed ex world wide these days. I'm sure Honda could get parts from ANOTHER COUNTRY in a few days.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Frig,
    the next time your "service" guy opens his mouth and spits out
    something that stupid... plant your foot in his butt. you might
    dislodge his pea brain!

that is a piss poor customer service response.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

My dealer manages to get parts in quickly from BRP in fact I ordered front tires on Thursday and they had them on Monday. Also, I just rode 1850 miles this past week on my RTS and it was flawless. I don't understand how you can call it underpowered. It hauled my loaded trailer and my fat butt effortlessly I was cruising along at 78 and decided to give it a little throttle up to 91 and it ran as smooth as it is at 60.

I think the RT is a much better value than the Harley TriGlide.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

What's with all the negativity?

I have a feeling the 2012's will be higher priced than the 2011's. I dont think they are going to get any less expensive.

RE: Parts--I have always had what I needed in a week or less--and I am at the "end of the world".

RE: Pricing: You do get a lot of stuff for $28K--some that is not on any other bikes. Plush as a Goldwing, which costs about the same comparably decked out.

I will give you the point about the small engine. A big improvement would be 1500 or slightly higher cc's. I am betting that will also add $1K to $2K to the price though.

IMO: Most people bought because it was different--and the entry price did not have to much to do with it. I put $1K down 6 months before they were even available here.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-13-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Proud Owner of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wattsmyname View Post
    ... that's nut to ask $28k for a machine that has a little v twin trying to push that much weight/ wind resistance. I think Can Am has a great idea but is just using what they have to put this machine together, problem is we have no other choice for this product. If BMW or Honda were to produce one of these, customers would be flocking to them, imagine a real motor for touring...if you ever needed any parts, just a few days and they are there. I have a backrest on order for several weeks...it's 2011 folks, once in awhile I understand but a backrest in the accessory catalog?? I just have a basic Spyder but if I had read this forum very much I would probably not made the purchase. Good news is that I still have the trusty Beemer in the garage, cruises at 70 mph @ below 3500 RPM, shaft drive with single sided swingarm-have never had to check the tension once, too bad I could not just drop that engine/driveline in the Spyder. Good luck on your decision but I would NOT do it
    The 990 v-twin is unbreakable. Then again, compare the value of a Spyder RT series with the other trikes. Of course you have a choice for this product. Don't buy one and sail away on your trusty BMW. But I've completed my 2d year on my RT-S, nearing 12K miles. Even with mod'd front shocks, a Corbin Seat (and backrest), ESI light upgrades and so on, I am only beginning to reach the low-end price of a Goldwing Trike conversion. That is the apples to apples comparison folks. I've had no breakdowns (yes, I realize some get unlucky); my shop has my parts when needed and with regular service, my belt tension is visually inspectable. The BMWs are beautiful bikes though ... and they do look great in garages ... gee. Well, here's an educational video for those contemplating purchase of a Beemer.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7110...-beemer-1200gs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    ...The BMWs are beautiful bikes though ... and they do look great in garages ... gee. Well, here's an educational video for those contemplating purchase of a Beemer.

Yup, that's exactly the thought process I went through when I bought my BMW GS last month! I feel better now that I've got that off my chest.
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Yup, that's exactly the thought process I went through when I bought my BMW GS last month! I feel better now that I've got that off my chest.
    Hey Dan I thought that looked like whale foreskin you were wearing at Joe's Gizzard City!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That was a funny clip, I don't ride as much as the average 20,000-24,000 miles per year BMW rider but my GS doesn't spend that much time in the garage, I live in Ft.Worth Texas, it was in Crested Butte Co. last week, then up that rocky road to Mirror Lake @11,000ft with my wife leaning against that BMW case with backrest. I do realize that BMW GS has about a 30 year head start so it better be refined by now. I think Can Am has done a good job with such a new product and am anxious to see how it progresses or if someone else introduces something like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    The 990 v-twin is unbreakable. Then again, compare the value of a Spyder RT series with the other trikes. Of course you have a choice for this product. Don't buy one and sail away on your trusty BMW. But I've completed my 2d year on my RT-S, nearing 12K miles. Even with mod'd front shocks, a Corbin Seat (and backrest), ESI light upgrades and so on, I am only beginning to reach the low-end price of a Goldwing Trike conversion. That is the apples to apples comparison folks. I've had no breakdowns (yes, I realize some get unlucky); my shop has my parts when needed and with regular service, my belt tension is visually inspectable. The BMWs are beautiful bikes though ... and they do look great in garages ... gee. Well, here's an educational video for those contemplating purchase of a Beemer.