Thread: Belt problem

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Belt problem

I went for a nice ride last Sunday (about 2 hours).  It felt a little weird on the way home.  Once in the garage I checked it out and the belt was pressed hard against the engine.  About 1/8 of teeth on inside of the belt was worn away.  Rubber all over engine near oil tank and rear sprocket.  I had the Spyder towed to dealer 1 hour away.  When they called, I was asked all kinds of questions as if I did it. He even asked if I hit something?  Wouldn't he see if I actually hit something?  I have never driven it hard or fast for that matter.  He has to contact BRP to see how to handle this since he has never seen anything like this before.  He's not sure if they will cover it and if not, it could be $700 out of pocket.  I asked why wouldn't my best coverage take care of it.  "it could be a normal wear item that BEST doesn't cover".  I'll have to wait and see.  I'm not looking forward to this.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Spyder Garage

Whoa... You are #2 to have this happen. The other guy had his belt wear a hole right through his case and requires a complete rebuild. Keep us posted.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Whoa... You are #2 to have this happen. The other guy had his belt wear a hole right through his case and requires a complete rebuild. Keep us posted.
    sledhead was the other one.; But there were more than two.

Spyder Garage

They want $700 just to replace the belt? OR was there more damage?

Here's what happened to sledhead... but he's out of his warranty. While the BELT is a wear item--- then crankcase is NOT......

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=sledhead

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

The belt started to barely wear the crankcase kind of like sled's. No other damage. And I have BEST coverage for whatever that may be worth. I'll see. Service mgr thinks engine mounts may have gone so as to tweak engine out of alignment. I pulled belt to outside of pulley against the lip. Then pushed 1 foot forward and it literally sucked it right back against the engine. I'll keep you all posted.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frig View Post
    The belt started to barely wear the crankcase kind of like sled's. No other damage. And I have BEST coverage for whatever that may be worth. I'll see. Service mgr thinks engine mounts may have gone so as to tweak engine out of alignment. I pulled belt to outside of pulley against the lip. Then pushed 1 foot forward and it literally sucked it right back against the engine. I'll keep you all posted.
    Thanks for the info... will be very interested to know if it has to do with the engine mounts.

Even with Sleds bike--- I think you can slap some JB weld on the damaged area of the crankcase and call it good......stuff works!

Spyder Garage

While it would be possible for the motor mounts to fail, allowing the engine to pull out of alignment, it would be unusual. The most common cause of this problem is front sprocket/drive shaft failure. That is the first thing to check.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default &nbsp

What is this............... &nbsp ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Frig View Post
    I went for a nice ride last Sunday (about 2 hours).  It felt a little weird on the way home.  Once in the garage I checked it out and the belt was pressed hard against the engine.  About 1/8 of teeth on inside of the belt was worn away.  Rubber all over engine near oil tank and rear sprocket.  I had the Spyder towed to dealer 1 hour away.  When they called, I was asked all kinds of questions as if I did it. He even asked if I hit something?  Wouldn't he see if I actually hit something?  I have never driven it hard or fast for that matter.  He has to contact BRP to see how to handle this since he has never seen anything like this before.  He's not sure if they will cover it and if not, it could be $700 out of pocket.  I asked why wouldn't my best coverage take care of it.  "it could be a normal wear item that BEST doesn't cover".  I'll have to wait and see.  I'm not looking forward to this.
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I love to guess!

I'd say he types on a word processor and then copies/pastes it here. The software doesn't agree and you get renderings that don't make sense. Just my .02.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Of course when I sugested that maybe a shaft drive was better everyone jumped all over me just check out the last 3 days of posts belt whine belt dressing kricket settings how to align 1/4 turn for tension yes I guess everyone is right this is way better that having to put 90w gear oil in a case and forgetting about it

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Of course when I sugested that maybe a shaft drive was better everyone jumped all over me just check out the last 3 days of posts belt whine belt dressing kricket settings how to align 1/4 turn for tension yes I guess everyone is right this is way better that having to put 90w gear oil in a case and forgetting about it
    I think what people were saying is that a properly working belt drive is much better than a properly working shaft drive. Of course any working drive is preferable to a bad belt drive, just like a properly working belt drive is better than a bad shaft drive.

if you put it in context, a belt drive is the better way to go on the Spyder. If it is a bug in design BRP needs to get that fixed. My feeling is most of the belt issues are related to improper adjustment. A properly engineered and adjusted belt drive is still superior to shaft drive in most respects, in my opinion.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess the best touring bikes in the world the K 1600 and the gold wing haven't found out all the virtues of belts and sprockets yet a properly enginered shaft elimitates the only problems which is ja king the 3 to 5 % power loss differance isn't worth the rocks in a$ 325 belt holes in crankcases kricket and alingment setting after tire changes straps getting caught in the belt sprocket wear sprocket bolt coming out belt life bearing out due to belt tension tracking of tire due to alignment haveing to carry a spare belt or being stranded again il take the put oil in it and ride and forget it shaft any time we don't have the gear change option anyway just my opinion and the opinion of 100000 mile touring riders for years of fully problem free riding

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by spyryder; 09-10-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know the makers of those top of the line touring bikes have done there marketing homework and studied the owners they want to ride on Sunday not adjust there stuff the auto mfg dumped there sprocket drive systems 80 years ago the better mfg are getting away from belt cam drives in favor of sealed run in oil systems also

Spyder Garage

yes what i dont buy the word proseser thing
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I guess the best touring bikes in the world the K 1600 and the gold wing haven't found out all the virtues of belts and sprockets yet a properly enginered shaft elimitates the only problems which is ja king the 3 to 5 % power loss differance isn't worth the rocks in a$ 325 belt holes in crankcases kricket and alingment setting after tire changes straps getting caught in the belt sprocket wear sprocket bolt coming out belt life bearing out due to belt tension tracking of tire due to alignment haveing to carry a spare belt or being stranded again il take the put oil in it and ride and forget it shaft any time we don't have the gear change option anyway just my opinion and the opinion of 100000 mile touring riders for years of fully problem free riding
    It's a moot point pertaining to shaft drive. The Spyder doesn't have it and most likely will never have it. All the complaining and arguing in the world won't change it. The number of Spyder owners with belt issues is pretty minimal overall. It's a machine ----things happen. 45,000 miles for me and no belt problems - and I run with ALL the belt protectors removed-- and I like to tear it up on gravel/dirt roads--- spinning the rear tire and throwing rocks--- never had a problem.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow shaft problems on 25 yr old goldwings that's just awful Firefly how do you get the nanny to let you spin and tear up gravel roads I run gravel to embeaded a rock as have others cost a belt and I have put on the missing belt gaurd and added a stone deflector on the top of belt that I made you. Have been lucky Im sure your right the spyder will never have a shaft belts are much less cost to build and helps keep the parts counter guys employed how soon will there be an after market belt supplyer like Harley there belts are less than 1/2 price of ours I'm sure glad we don't have to pull the swing arm to replace ours I do love the spyder we took a girl for a ride the other nite and she said that it was the first time she wasn't scared and it was so comfortable compared to the ruff ride of the harleys and the hang on for dear life of a sport bike I'm not tring to be a complainer just hoping to add to the wishlist I seem to one of the few who don't ask for more power and find the riding position just right don't find the ride to be twitchy , Im just spoiled by 35 yrs of problem fiddle free shaft bikes and having lost a sprocket and bolt at the end of a trip 600 mi from home and buying a belt over a 3/8 in pc of gravel and adjusting tracking and tension I miss the ease of shaft o well we TRIKE on
    Last edited by r1100rider; 09-10-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

It stands for Non Breaking SPace and occurs on certain typing software. It can be turned off. I know because I had to do it years ago but I don't remember how. I'll bet some one here knows. Come on experts!!

Spyder Garage

It wasn't a word processing thing. I went to preview post and changed a few things then sent post. It just happened for some reason. It's probably some html stuff that for in there somehow. Sorry!!!

John