Thread: intercom

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default intercom

I currently ride a GL1800 with my wife. We have driven the spyder and are considering joining the spyder group.
    My confusion is the lack of an intercom system on the RT. On wht Wing we us it not only to talk to each other
    but to listen the our ipod. Is the only way to do this on the RT is to purchase the CB system?

Spyder Garage

I too, am surprised BRP does not include an intercom as a part of the AC package. That seems like such a basic item for a "touring" bike.

To listen to an iPod, you do not have to have the CB unit installed; however, you will need the AC package. The CB is needed for the intercom. I just installed one on mine and am pretty happy with it. I need to have the tech look at the antenna, I can only seem to receive strong signals, but I seem to be getting out fine.

There are many options out there to use for an intercom. The BRP CB addition is one. The Scala G4 is the other option that I was looking at. It is a bluetooth solution and can even 'link' with other riders who have a similar unit for up to a total of 4 riders, if I remember right.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

Default Former 'Wingers

We too are former GoldWingers as well. Rather than increase the expense and complexity of an already complex machine, we stuck with the audio package as included on the RTS and went with the Scala system as well. Never have had a CB anyway so I don't miss it. If I ever fully join this century and get an iPod that's about as far as I would go audio wise on the Spyder. Besides, we spend so much time cattlesnapping while cruising along, mucic would be just more noise. Well that's my $.02 for today.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Default cb/intercom

We installed the cb/intercom after using a recharge com system that was not worth a flip, it took the sting out of the price of the brp unit to a degree,but still spendy besides we are members of a goldwing group an are able to talk an listen to the group as we travel.

Dick

got fly?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BitSlayer View Post
    .....I need to have the tech look at the antenna, I can only seem to receive strong signals, but I seem to be getting out fine.
    Look in your audio settings to see how the CB is set. On "LO" it will only receive the stronger signals. On "DX" it gets the stuff farther away.

On another note, I don't see anything wrong with BRP offering this as an accessory, instead of a factory option. In the end, the price is much the same. Having it as an accessory allows riders to have no need for it to skip it, but still get the other bells and whistles. That method also allows riders who prefer to use an alternate intercom system, or a wireless Bluetooth system, to do so without needless expense for a CB/Comm system they will not use.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Scotty,
    Intercoms are a new and complete mystery to me so I have several questions...
    My Missus and I experimented some this past weekend with a set of GMRS radios that I use during hunting season... They showed some promise, so she's given me the go-ahead to start shopping...
    1. A wireless system seems awful nice. You mentioned Bluetooth; would this allow for rider to passenger communication without any extra add-ons being needed? We don't need to hook up phones or MP3 players; whe just wants to be able to yell at me when the mood strikes...
    2. We have modular helmets; Are there system available that be mounted right to the helmet with speakers and mics permanently attached?
    Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

...The CB is needed for the intercom. I just installed one on mine and am pretty happy with it...
    Hi, BitSlayer. Could you tell me what settings you are using for the microphone and VOX settings? We're still having trouble with ours. I've turned both of the CB sliders to off (since we're not using the CB yet). I have the microphone slider up to max, and the VOX slider up about two bars or so. I can hear my wife speaking fine, but she can barely hear me at all, and we can't seem to find any way to boost my mike up more so that she can hear me. Her backseat volume controls are already up almost full, so we know that's not the issue (the radio, if we turn it on, blasts her ears).

We also tried doing this with the PPT instead of the VOX (we have the passenger PPT cord as well), but the behavior is just the same: I can hear her normally, she's only hearing me as a whisper. (Granted, she may actually prefer that sometimes, but still...)

More Sci Fi & Fantasy Artwork by me: http://www.CynthiaRadthorne.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Scotty,
    Intercoms are a new and complete mystery to me so I have several questions...
    My Missus and I experimented some this past weekend with a set of GMRS radios that I use during hunting season... They showed some promise, so she's given me the go-ahead to start shopping...
    1. A wireless system seems awful nice. You mentioned Bluetooth; would this allow for rider to passenger communication without any extra add-ons being needed? We don't need to hook up phones or MP3 players; whe just wants to be able to yell at me when the mood strikes...
    2. We have modular helmets; Are there system available that be mounted right to the helmet with speakers and mics permanently attached?
    Thanks!
    For rider-to-passenger communications, there are two basic types of communications systems, wired and wireless. The BRP system is a wired one, as are those by Starcom1, Autocom, and others. A wired system needs helmet speaker/mike installation to function, and must be plugged in each time the rider boards. These systems can also integrate music, two-way radios, cell phones, and GPS units. I have mine hooked to the Spyder audio system for music in my helmet. A complete kit will include the helmet headsets.

Wireless systems attach to the helmet, and typically use Bluetooth technology to integrate other devices. They also utilize helmet speakers, for the most part. These units will do rider-to-passenger or bike-to-bike without additional radios. The Cardo Scala and the Sena units are of this type, as are some integrated units available for high end helmets like the Nolan or Shuberth. If you have Bluetooth enabled devices like a a cell phone, iPod Touch, or some GPS units, you can integrate these devices to add features besides simple communications. Setup can be trickier than wired systems, but most people have no serious problems during setup. I personally have worries about having the comm module hung on the outside of my helmet, but that's just me. Many riders prefer these simple systems.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Intercom

I don't need a cb but would like to listen to ipod and talk to passanger through the speakers and mic in my helmet. Can this be done with
    aftermarket items or only via cb/intercom addon?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default intercom

Scotty
    Please tell me more about the system you have on your spyder. I sounds exactly what I need.

Jack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsafety View Post
    I don't need a cb but would like to listen to ipod and talk to passanger through the speakers and mic in my helmet. Can this be done with
    aftermarket items or only via cb/intercom addon?
    It can also be done with a variety of aftermarket systems, both wired and wireless.

Scotty
    Please tell me more about the system you have on your spyder. I sounds exactly what I need.

Jack
    I have a Starcom1 system on my Spyder and my BMW. The connection to the Spyder audio is something I rigged up with the help of a Hi-Lo converter and some tech assistance from some savvy SpyderLovers. The Starcom1 is available in the US from SpoiledBiker.com
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default intercom

Scotty
    Is the Starcom1 install something you could outline? Difficulty level? How does the price compare to spyder cb/intercom?

Thanks
    Jack

Spyder Garage

Every installation is different. You need an available power source, but can go directly to the battery with the included power harness if you have nothing else connected there. Having to install an auxilary fuse block complicates the installation. I put the Starcom1 Advance under my seat, but there isn't much room. On my 2010 it was placed under the glovebox, which was more complex. If you want to hook up the Spyder audio, it gets pretty complicated...at least in terms of removing the bodywork and running the wiring. If you merely want intercom, it is pretty easy...provide power and find a place to put it. Plug in the extension cables under the seat and plug those into your helmets (in which you have installed the appropriate headsets. Hooking up radios, cell phones, GPS, iPod, or the Spyder audio requires more cables (possibly isolated), and some careful routing and component placement. Some folks have had troubles with noise in some installations, but only my GPS has ever given me a "whine", requiring an isolated cable and power supply. Not hard...but not perfectly straight-forward, either...similar to quality installation of a full stereo system in a car. The MSRP for the Starcom1 Advance Kit-B is $341.94. By the time you include the helmet speakers and entertainment harness, the BRP system lists for about three times that.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default intercom

Scotty
    Thank you for your comments. Will the Wing connectors work with the Starcom 1 system. How did you route the helmet connectors from under the seat to the driver and passanger?

Jack

Spyder Garage

Scotty
    Thank you for your comments. Will the Wing connectors work with the Starcom 1 system. How did you route the helmet connectors from under the seat to the driver and passanger?

Jack
    I don't think Starcom has adapters for the Wing connectors, but I could be wrong. You'd have to look at their Website. We hook the Starcom1 coiled extension cables to the Starcom1 under the seat, then just run the cords out to our helmets. Starcom also makes a bulkhead connector if you want to get fancy. I put one on Nancy's RS, but it is still under the seat because I didn't want to drill any panels. It makes them too hard to remove when they are attached to a cable. There is a picture of the unit mounted on my RTS here.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-09-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Blue tooth option

Check out www.motorcyclecommunications.com Clay was very helpfull. Brought the Hi tech dual units for intercom for about $300 delivered. Biggest difference when compared to scal' s that these units can have the batteries changed when they stop recharging where the Scala can not- per Clay at site stated before.

Bought a Midland cb and speaker/ptt button from Bell cb for $130. Great customer service was great. They wanted overnight to check on somthing And They Called Me Back!, Will be cutting off the speakers, converting them to a 3.5m male plug and using it to hear the cb through the Hi Tech com device. my priority was passenger to driver with the cb being less important. i am having the dealer add a BRP antennia when they have the tupperware off to to install the hitch. Running the wire to the dash and putting a 12v up there also for gps etc Used Scotty's 12v pictures to show them it could be done.
    Blue 2011 RT-S: My Economic Contributions: Rt Hand Brake, RAM handle bar cup holder, Kewl Metal Gadget mount for phone/GPS, Midland CB, High Tech V2 Wireless intercom, GloRiders-Blue, BRP hitch, Bike-rack for travel duffel, Grip Puppies, Arrow mirror turn signals, RT HMT Rear light, Utopia Driver's seat back, Lamont's NBV Highway pegs, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Baker Air Wings
    Life is a matter of Prospective We create our own Prospective.

Spyder Garage

Hey RadGuy,

Here is a pic of my settings. Figured a picture was worth a 1,000 words...

We played around with our settings quite a bit before we settled on these. I still play with the intercom setting some, but this seems to have her hearing me well and I can hear her as well.

We have modular helmets in the full-face configuration. I was using the 3/4 configuration with it being so hot here in OK, but it forced the VOX to be too high and we had to yell to break the mike. With the full-face I was able to reduce the VOX to a reasonable level and we can star a conversation pretty normally.

Scotty: Thanks for the comment. I had already checked that based on another thread that was going about the CB settings and it is currently on DX. I am going to switch to LO to see if it makes any difference and then back to DX. Hopefully, it is just needs a 'bump' to get the right setting going. We have a hand held that we use when others are traveling with us in a car. Planning on using that this weekend to see if we can figure out what is going on; hopefully just a setting somewhere.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

Spyder Garage

Hey RadGuy,

Here is a pic of my settings. Figured a picture was worth a 1,000 words...

We played around with our settings quite a bit before we settled on these. I still play with the intercom setting some, but this seems to have her hearing me well and I can hear her as well.

We have modular helmets in the full-face configuration. I was using the 3/4 configuration with it being so hot here in OK, but it forced the VOX to be too high and we had to yell to break the mike. With the full-face I was able to reduce the VOX to a reasonable level and we can star a conversation pretty normally.

Scotty: Thanks for the comment. I had already checked that based on another thread that was going about the CB settings and it is currently on DX. I am going to switch to LO to see if it makes any difference and then back to DX. Hopefully, it is just needs a 'bump' to get the right setting going. We have a hand held that we use when others are traveling with us in a car. Planning on using that this weekend to see if we can figure out what is going on; hopefully just a setting somewhere.
    Thank you! Yes, we're using the 3/4 helmets too, and the VOX is basically keeping the circuit open most of the time while riding. But the real problem for us seems to be that the passenger connection's mike is working fine, but not the rider's connection in front. We've swapped helmets, and ruled out them or the mike's connected to them as being the problem. Whichever helmet is plugged into the front, the passenger can barely hear the rider, regardless of the MIC slider's setting. Whereas the rider can hear the passenger just fine, in fact quite loudly. So I'm thinking that there's a glitch in the harness or the CB/comm somewhere related to the front plug.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty! I knew that you'd be the guy to ask...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

RadGuy, Definitely sounds like you have some attenuation in the drivers mic line. Have you looked at the plug mounted on switch panel to make sure all of the contacts look OK? That would be my only other suggestion. In our setup, we seem to be able to hear each other well.

I do have a couple of questions for the others here. In the settings screen there are two sections that do not seem to be covered in the manual

1. Headset Mode
      1. Off
      2. Mute
      3. Mix
    2. Headset Front
      1. 25% up to 50%

I have played with these, but not sure what effect they are having.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

Spyder Garage

RadGuy, Definitely sounds like you have some attenuation in the drivers mic line. Have you looked at the plug mounted on switch panel to make sure all of the contacts look OK? That would be my only other
    suggestion. In our setup, we seem to be able to hear each other well.

I do have a couple of questions for the others here. In the settings screen there are two sections that do not seem to be covered in the manual

1. Headset Mode
      1. Off
      2. Mute
      3. Mix

2. Headset Front
      1. 25% up to 50%

I can return the favor, at least partially. When the dealer installed the CB Comm system, they should have given you pages 11 - 16 of the installation instructions. These have more detailed descriptions of the various settings. On page 15 is the following:

4. Headset Mode
    4.1 Off: When you do not want to hear your entertainment source in your headsets.
    4.2 Mute: When you want your entertainment source to mute in your headsets when you receive of transmit via the CB or when you receive or transmit via the intercom.
    4.3 Mix: When you want your entertainment source to play (at a reduced level) during CB receive or transmit. If the entertainment volume level is too low then it will mute instead of mix.

I'm not sure what the Headset Front is, though.

By the way, I think we finally got our intercom working, at least sufficiently for us. I did note (in these same instructions above) references to a "sidetone" which is supposed to aid in setting volume; basically I think a bit of static noise that gets louder or softer as you change the volume. In my passenger helmet, she can hear this. She can also hear her own voice on her helmet speakers when she talks on her microphone. On my rider helmet, I don't hear the sidetone or my own voice in my speakers. But in any case, on our long ride today, although the VOX kept the circuit open most of the time (with our 3/4 helmets), with the mikes pressed right up against our lips we could both converse pretty well back and forth, at least enough that we're happy with it now.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, and glad to hear you got yours working. For us, it is a necessity. If it weren't for a working intercom, my arm would be bruised after every ride from her hitting me and then pointing...
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

Spyder Garage

Thanks, and glad to hear you got yours working. For us, it is a necessity. If it weren't for a working intercom, my arm would be bruised after every ride from her hitting me and then pointing...

Spyder Garage

Default Headset Front Settings

RadGuy, Definitely sounds like you have some attenuation in the drivers mic line. Have you looked at the plug mounted on switch panel to make sure all of the contacts look OK? That would be my only other suggestion. In our setup, we seem to be able to hear each other well.

1. Headset Mode
      1. Off
      2. Mute
      3. Mix

2. Headset Front
      1. 25% up to 50%

As I understand it, the Headset Front adjusts the balance between the front and rear headsets. Call it a fader for the headsets instead of the speakers. With your problem you need to adjust the balance(fader) so that you get the proper volume in both headsets. I'm not sure, but I'd guess you need to increase this setting (a higher positive number) as opposed to decreasing it (a higher minus number).

I'm no expert and I may be all confused on this so I'd appreciate an expert's input on this matter.

Spyder Garage

Default .02c from OZ

Gday All, Have read with great anticipation that someone out there has had the same issue that Im having with the BRP genuine system and headsets. Have narrowed it down to the shift solenoids providing electrical interference in the headsets when changing gear (RTLTD SE5). Have had discussion with dealer who states that this is considered "normal" Sorry a system that costs as much as this does - thats a load of horse pucky. Especially as it is the genuine system. Currently trying to get answers from BRP Aust but to no avail at this stage. I wasnt sold the "Genuine" Accessory as a "its good but it has an electrical issue as standard". They seemed to miss that bit out at point of sale. Yes it was all fitted by the dealer and all is genuine BRP. Very frustrasted with current outstanding issue, with no feedback or acknowledgement from BRP despite me writing (very nicely) I might add to them twice. Best of luck in your endeavours to get a system that you are happy with,.
    Robby