Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First post...looking at RT SM5 2011 and 2011 RT S SM 5.......

Hi all!

I've been lurking for a few months but now am seriously looking at a RT SM5 and a RT S SM5 both 2011's. I'm in central Va with access to the Blue Ridge Parkway only 3 miles away so most of my ryding would be day trips on it. My first bike was a Ninja EX 500...... 20 years ago.... I never felt safe on two wheels so I sold it and have not been on one since. The Spyder design took away my uneasiness of being on 2 wheels and put my back in a comfortable position.

Listening to music in my car is very important to me but on a Spyder it is not as critical. So the RT without the radio is ok with me but I'm wondering about resale, but on the other hand the RTS has so much more to break....

Any opinions as to which one?

Thanks

Greg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought the SE5 as all of my bikes have been manual, as with most of us. I decided to try the "paddle shift" and see how it went. You have to learn how to use it...feathering the throttle just a little for smooth shifts. (some won't agree, but ya pays your money and takes your chances) I love the SE5 and miss it when I ride my Gold Wing trike. Forget resale, it won't make $100 worth of difference after four or five years of great Spyder ownership. Buy, ride and enjoy.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

If you are not going to use the extra features you would pay for on the RTS, then the standard model is a good choice. Yes, resale value is less, but so is the purchase price. On the other hand, if you have a need or desire for heated grips, heated passenger grips, electric trunk release, electric rear suspension, foglights, LED accent lights, analog gauges, and/or extra chrome trim, the RTS is the answer. The RT A&C is somewhere in between. I think if you like tunes while driving, you will find them nice when riding. I find they make a long trip go faster.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Scotty. Of course I'm partial since I have a 2010 RTS

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a gently used 2010 RTS posted on the 4 sale forum. This maybe what your looking for and it includes the trailer and some upgrades. About 5 K + less than what you would spend on new. Whatever you do ryde safe, Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you are not going to use the extra features you would pay for on the RTS, then the standard model is a good choice. Yes, resale value is less, but so is the purchase price. On the other hand, if you have a need or desire for heated grips, heated passenger grips, electric trunk release, electric rear suspension, foglights, LED accent lights, analog gauges, and/or extra chrome trim, the RTS is the answer. The RT A&C is somewhere in between. I think if you like tunes while driving, you will find them nice when riding. I find they make a long trip go faster.

My RTS SM5 PE is such a dream to ride and having tunes while riding makes the moles fly by. Of course the Elka shocks have made it even more a pleasure.

Spyder Garage

I drive a 2010 RTS with all the bells and whistles--and I like it a lot.

You should test drive the models you are interested in to see what you like best. If you accessorize a lesser model--you will end up paying more in the end for your .

Resale is not a good selling point for the but it is the same for most other brands of motorcycles too. If you keep them a few years its not quite as bad. I would not let resale be a deciding factor in a purchase of a .

The is a great ride if you are not into two wheels any more. The stability and safety features abound on this machine.

Let us know what you decide to do.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you for your time and opinions.

I guess my reason for leaning toward the non "S" is the idea that less systems result in less problems . But I may be wrong(I usually am).

Not having an on board radio would not bother me too much.. I really don't like really loud bikes with even louder radios blaring past me in my car....so I doubt that I would use the speakers much.

I would add the fog lights for better visibility to others.

Needing a new helmet I ordered a Schuberth C3 which has not arrived yet but an integrated Bluetooth/FM/Comm unit is available for it. I could use my itouch and cell phone at the same time and connect with friends that have compatible units. $400 and I have music and phone.....

I spent an hour this morning rearranging the garage so that the Spyder would fit behind the MINI ......

Now all I need to do is convince my wife that a Spyder would be therapy .

Thanks again

Greg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Thanks to all of you for your time and opinions.

I guess my reason for leaning toward the non "S" is the idea that less systems result in less problems . But I may be wrong(I usually am).
    As an RS owner, I can only speak from observation on the RT, but my understanding is that all the extra gadgetry on the RT works well enough, i.e. the things you're likeliest of running into trouble with aren't the extra options, it's all the stuff that comes standard.

My dear departed dad used to have the attitude about car options, "Just more to break," so I get the fear. In the case of the Spyder, I wouldn't worry about the add-ons, they'll only make you feel better (and like others have said, it's more of a pain to buy and install something you want AFTER the fact than get it stock on the bike from the dealer. Ask me how I know this ).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well I did it! Called my dealer and made a deposit on the RT SM5. I could not justify the additional $5000 for the RTS.

Since I will be out of town and the dealer is +75 miles away I will pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the information on this site and input from my questions. I'll be here often for tips and answers.

Greg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

any Spyder will give you hours and hours of pleasure..