Spyder Garage

Default Dallas, TX - Sept. 3, 2011 - rider down

My girlfriend and I were headed Southbound on 75 on Saturday, Sept. 3. We noticed a 20-30 year old guy on a red Kawasaki cutting it close to several cars. He was riding the backside of the cars in front of him and almost lane-splitting to get in front of the next cars around him. We both commented that he was riding crazy and we were concerned for his well-being. He did not have a helmet on and was wearing a sleeveless white shirt, shorts, tennis shoes and a back pack. No gloves. No protective gear, period. We lost sight of him around Belt Line (for those of you who know Dallas).

We approached 635 East bound and saw a semi-truck stopped in the right lane of the High Five overpass, which leads to 635. As we pulled around the truck, we saw the bike, laying there on its side. Since we had seen the guy riding earlier, being riders ourselves, we quickly pulled over and dialed 911. I asked an older gentleman, who had stopped, where the rider was and he pointed down.

The rider had attempted to cut-off a pickup truck on an elevated curve and lost control, hitting the wall. He was thrown off of the bike, landing some 100 feet below between the service road and the highway. He was motionless and obviously had died from the impact.

This has haunted us ever since. We don't have a name for this guy. We don't have a news story to read or hear about on the news. Nothing. Somehow, the media missed the story, so this is where it ends. We gave a police report as did the semi-truck driver. He's also a biker and saw the accident happen. All others close-by when the accident happened, did not stop... Very sad.

This photo is from my truck's rear view mirror. It's of the bike on its side and the truck. The rider was some 100 ft. below.
    Please say a prayer for him and his family. He did not make it.
    bike_down.jpg

Please, please, please wear protective gear. It sucks that we had to witness the end of this young man's life. I hope no one else has to do the same. One helmet may not have saved his life because of the fall, but riding carefully would have.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

To read reports like this always makes me sick to my stomach.... no matter of the details or how many times it happens.
    But regardless of the decisions this guy may have made, he is gone, and his family and loved ones have to live with it, without him.

So far as the gear, yes, ATGATT.
    There are no guarantees when it comes to safety, regardless how we choose to travel.
    But those of us who choose to ride can only hope to do the best we can by making good decisions and leave the rest with the Big Guy.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
    Sorry you had to experience this.

Spyder Garage

How horrible all around.

ATGATT starts with what's *in* the helmet. No amount of gear is ever going to protect you from yourself.

We have mandatory helmet laws out here, and whenever I see someone riding down the road a t-shirt, shorts, flip flops and no gloves, BUT they have a helmet on, I always think the same thing: "Congratulations, you're protecting the one thing that clearly DOESN'T work."

Me, I'm ATGATT, because I know that I'm a human being who makes mistakes, riding a vehicle manufactured by human beings, on a road built by human beings, surrounded by other drivers who make mistakes. It's no guarantee that I won't end up falling from an overpass, but it certainly helps to protect me in the other 99 things that can go wrong in my ride.

As always, to each their own...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Yes... I know... feel for the family of the rider. I do.

Darwin however comes to mind as I read your account of what happened. There is a reason many of us are still here after years of riding. We all got old enough to know the terrible difference carelessness and recklessness can make in our lives and those that love us. I may ride fast from time to time, and I may like the twisties, but I generally never do anything blatantly stupid or unsafe, and especially not in repetition.

It is a shame that accidents like this happen. It is a shame that for what ever reason he paid the ultimate price of his life. It was avoidable.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear about these accidents...ones that could have been avoided with a little thought and care. Recently, we have had several single rider deaths, loss of control, no autos involved, here in the San Antonio area. No reason other than just not taking care...and DUI. I am sorry.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Yes... I know... feel for the family of the rider. I do.

Darwin however comes to mind as I read your account of what happened. There is a reason many of us are still here after years of riding. We all got old enough to know the terrible difference carelessness and recklessness can make in our lives and those that love us. I may ride fast from time to time, and I may like the twisties, but I generally never do anything blatantly stupid or unsafe, and especially not in repetition.

It is a shame that accidents like this happen. It is a shame that for what ever reason he paid the ultimate price of his life. It was avoidable.

I can die riding my Spyder. I know there is less of a margin of safety than when driving my car. When things go wrong in a car, I have more metal and technology to protect me.

That said, I can die in my car, too. I can die riding a bicycle. I can die swimming in a pool.

One of the reasons I picked up riding again this year was, quite frankly, a morbid one: a co-worker of mine died earlier this year at the age of 48. I didn't know him very well, just a friendly guy that I liked, who left behind a wife and two young children.

But it's HOW he died that shocked me: he slipped on some sidewalk ice walking out of a 7-11. He hit his head, went into a coma for several days, then he died.

People die in the craziest of ways. We ALL die, sooner or later. Such is life.

Which made me wonder, what have I not done with my life, what have I not experienced, what have I not enjoyed? Riding was one of those things.

But just as there's a difference between avoiding risk and assuming risk, there's a difference between assuming risk and ignoring risk.

I like to think that I assess and assume the risk of motorcycling, and take reasonable precautions-- safety, training AND practice-- to enhance my safety on the road while still enjoying what makes the experience unique. Sad to say, but this late rider sounds as if he ignored the risk inherent in motorcycling, and took no precautions at all.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps there's more to this story, even if it sounds like one we've all sadly heard many times before.

Again, some people who are not fans of motorcycling at all will say that's only a difference in degree, not in kind. I'll let them judge for themselves.
    Last edited by daveinva; 09-06-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

This is a very sad story.
    It sucks when you see or hear about stuff like this happening. ugh..

Ride safe everyone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

dumbass for riding like a tool in traffic with no gear . But RIP TO our fallen brethern , I dont know what i would do if i was in you place having seen that . Maybe way up with sweats and nightmares.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    dumbass for riding like a tool in traffic with no gear . But RIP TO our fallen brethern , I dont know what i would do if i was in you place having seen that . Maybe way up with sweats and nightmares.
    It was bad the first night. Kept dreaming I was in his position, hitting the wall and flying off of the bridge.
    I've since, heard from two other witnesses. My friend's mother was driving below, when she said she saw him "fly like a paratrooper without a parachute, face down, dead" to the concrete below, beside her car. Very sad. I'm sure what she saw was a lot worse than what we could see from our position. His backpack was covering his head, from our view above.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The rider was my brother. A friend of a friend found this sight somehow I don’t know how, but it must have been God. My brother’s name is Heath. He was on his way home from work early when the crash happened. He was just 30 years old and full of life. He had an awesomely big heart and never met a stranger. We had been told bits and pieces of what happened but never had the full story. His father, my dad, was not notified except by a note on the door the next day to call the impound lot. When he called it was the Dallas City Morgue. It’s been a horrible past couple of days and to not know what happened to my brother was horrible. I’m so sorry you all had to witness this and I pray the grace of God will help you all through this. I’m thankful for knowing the story though. His funeral is scheduled for tomorrow, Friday, 09-09-2011. Please feel free to write me back if you feel. Smoore0654@gmail.com I will be praying for all of the witness as well. God Bless you! - Stephanie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Funeral Services for my Brother Heath Logan Honeycutt

My father asked that I let you all know the service information for tomorrow, Friday 09-09-2011. Hopefully this will help in some way. God Bless!

Oates DR Baptist Church
    2805 Oates Drive
    Mesquite, TX 75150

Obituary for Heath Logan Honeycutt
    http://www.newhopefh.com/ASIMAS/newh...ased_id=247391

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smoore06 View Post
    The rider was my brother. A friend of a friend found this sight somehow I don’t know how, but it must have been God. My brother’s name is Heath. He was on his way home from work early when the crash happened. He was just 30 years old and full of life. He had an awesomely big heart and never met a stranger. We had been told bits and pieces of what happened but never had the full story. His father, my dad, was not notified except by a note on the door the next day to call the impound lot. When he called it was the Dallas City Morgue. It’s been a horrible past couple of days and to not know what happened to my brother was horrible. I’m so sorry you all had to witness this and I pray the grace of God will help you all through this. I’m thankful for knowing the story though. His funeral is scheduled for tomorrow, Friday, 09-09-2011. Please feel free to write me back if you feel. Smoore0654@gmail.com I will be praying for all of the witness as well. God Bless you! - Stephanie
    Prayers to you and your family at this horrible time in life. May the Lord be with you and yours.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Very sorry for your most unfortunate loss. I'm sure it wasn't easy reading the details as described here - thank you for putting a real persons name to this tragedy. Hopefully you can find some comfort in that those who have read this story can learn from it and hopefully avoid such an accident.

Condolences to you and your family.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for your loss, Life makes strange turns.

Spyder Garage

Truly terrible, my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    How horrible all around.

ATGATT starts with what's *in* the helmet. No amount of gear is ever going to protect you from yourself.

We have mandatory helmet laws out here, and whenever I see someone riding down the road a t-shirt, shorts, flip flops and no gloves, BUT they have a helmet on, I always think the same thing: "Congratulations, you're protecting the one thing that clearly DOESN'T work."

Me, I'm ATGATT, because I know that I'm a human being who makes mistakes, riding a vehicle manufactured by human beings, on a road built by human beings, surrounded by other drivers who make mistakes. It's no guarantee that I won't end up falling from an overpass, but it certainly helps to protect me in the other 99 things that can go wrong in my ride.

As always, to each their own...
    What does the letters ATGATT mean

Spyder Garage

Thoughts and prayers go with you and your family.

Newsuan: RE: ATGATT: All the gear all the time.

Nuff Said.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So sorry for your loss, my thought are with you.

Spyder Garage

If this is true... (Sorry, I've been on the internet long enough to be somewhat suspicious) then first, let me add my thoughts and well wishes to you and your family.

Second, I sincerely hope that your dad takes action against the police department that failed to do a proper notification in a timely manner. The way that your father found out about this is horrible. It's bad enough to lose a child but for it to be handled in such a way is inhumane, insensitive and leaves me all but speechless.
    Last edited by kytten; 09-08-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thank you all. i understand the questioning.. horribly it's true... his obit link was attached. funeral is tomorrow. i hope the witness on her sees my post.....i feel horrible for him and his gf.

Spyder Garage

Hi Stephanie,
    I'm truly saddened by your loss. I am glad you found the post. I was hoping someone would have more information about your brother. We wanted to help when we saw the bike down. Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do. A doctor ran up to help as well, but even she knew we were too late.

I will say this and I hope it in some way helps:

Although I know Heath was not riding safely, when he passed us, a couple of lanes over from us, on 75, he appeared to be smiling, having the time of his life. He went doing what he loved.

I apologize that I will not be able to attend the service. I'm in day 3 of a Microsoft class this morning at 8AM.

Prayers for you and your family. Thanks so much for responding.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heath Logan Honeycutt

62940_154661791235150_100000739899511_308414_2035063_n.jpg 36063_154915327876463_100000739899511_309568_6643746_n.jpg

44680_1448340766097_1160543242_31075959_331791_n.jpgThis was Heath. Always full of life. With an amazing smile that lit up a room. He enjoyed being outdoors and was very talented when working with his hands. It's hard to believe he's gone. Thank you to everyone that took an interest in what happened to Heath. If it weren't for you we may have never known the details surrounding his death.

Thanks again.
    Melissa

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Bitten View Post
    It was bad the first night. Kept dreaming I was in his position, hitting the wall and flying off of the bridge.
    I've since, heard from two other witnesses. My friend's mother was driving below, when she said she saw him "fly like a paratrooper without a parachute, face down, dead" to the concrete below, beside her car. Very sad. I'm sure what she saw was a lot worse than what we could see from our position. His backpack was covering his head, from our view above.

Ok I had to reply when I saw this stated because there is so much irony. I served in the Army with Heath, we were both parachute riggers. I was stationed at airborne school, parachute rigger school and in the same unit with him. I am sorry to hear about what had happened, I am really shocked and can only hope he didn't suffer. To his family, I have several pictures of him I found when in the service and would be happy to share. I hope this will bring some comfort and show that the universe seems to always come together in strange ways. I was just doing laundry the other day and his name popped in my head (10 years later) and thought "hey I am going to look him up on FB and see what he's up to" only to find out the bad news. I have always known him to be a risk taker but this is such a tragedy.

i just realized: today is September 3rd....2 yrs after he passed away
    Last edited by Questions; 09-03-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Reminder to all... ride safe

Glad to see the post brought up to the top. Time to reflect on a Lost Brother 2 yrs ago. I'm sure family and friends are also reflecting back on him. Sorry for the loss of a family member and friend to many.
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6