Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Has Anyone Else Experienced this with ESI?

I know that ESI is a very popular vendor, and sponsor here, but I have a real problem with the fact that I had a defective wake-up module, which I returned for a refund, but instead received a replacement, and now that I no longer own the RS they won't let me return the item for a store credit. So now, I am forced to sell the unit for less than what I had paid for it - this is poor customer service and really ticks me off!

I have purchased around $500 worth of merchandise from ESI within the last 2 months, had planned to purchase more products for my RT-S, and can guarantee you that I will not be spending another dime with them in the future.

The replacement module they sent me is still in the package, never used, and I wasn't asking for a full refund as there are a few things I'd like to get for my RT-S. They know that I am a member of this forum as I had mentioned SpyderLovers in my email to them so I don't understand why they would take the chance on losing a lot of potential business over a $79 item. I will be sure to tell my story to anyone who asks me about my experience with ESI (including friends, family, SRA Members,....).

Has anyone else had this experience with them?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I read in the return policy that there is a 20% restocking fee. (On your $79.00 item $15.80). Also says you don't get your shipping & handling back.

It seems like a pretty stringent return policy--but that is the written form that most companies use these days.

I would hope you two parties could work something out--

You don't mention how much "negotiating" the two of you had before you started talking hard about the supplier. This probably will not go a long way towards your getting exactly what you want.

Its such a small amount of money--I can't believe the problem cannot be solved between the two parties. I won't tell ESI how to run their business--but when I was in retail--I gave a lot of refunds that were over and above the "rules of the road"--just to keep my companies reputation good. This all in spite of the fact, that my customer may have ticked me off, and was even wrong sometimes.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-06-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Thanks Lamont. I read the policy before returning the defective unit and must include that they were very quick to respond to my email and issue an RMA number and consequently send me a replacement unit - this is not where my issue lays.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I read in the return policy that there is a 20% restocking fee. (On your $79.00 item $15.80). Also says you don't get your shipping & handling back.

It seems like a pretty stringent return policy--but that is the written form that most companies use these days.

I would hope you two parties could work something out--

You don't mention how much "negotiating" the two of you had before you started talking hard about the supplier. This probably will not go a long way towards your getting exactly what you want.

Its such a small amount of money--I can't believe the problem cannot be solved between the two parties. I won't tell ESI how to run their business--but when I was in retail--I gave a lot of refunds that were over and above the "rules of the road"--just to keep my companies reputation good. This all in spite of the fact, that my customer may have ticked me off, and was even sometimes wrong.
    I attempted to negotiate by asking for a store credit since I no longer owned the RS and was expecting a refund instead of a replacement. The response I received was, "Sorry.but no you can not on warranty replaced item." I never asked for more than what I thought was fair - return defective unit for a refund (I don't think that's unreasonable) and DO appreciate ESI's expediency. My only issue is that I am now unable to return an item that has never been opened in exchange for a store credit - I'm not asking for a refund, or free shipping. I, too, have worked in retail and went over and above many times as well and understand when those exceptions can/should be made versus sticking to the "policy".

At this point, I will chalk it up to a learning experience, take a hit on re-selling it and move forward. ESI is not the only game in town, so I will take my business elsewhere in the future.

Spyder Garage

You may find a buyer for it hear on the "4 Sale by Owner" forum if you no longer have a use for it. At least you will get some of your money back.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    You may find a buyer for it hear on the "4 Sale by Owner" forum if you no longer have a use for it. At least you will get some of your money back.
    Yep, it's on there. It was only after I posted it, and got a few lowball offers, that I began to feel resentful (because I am losing money on it) and thus this thread. Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

Many vendors do not allow returns of electronic items. While inconvenient for some it's a good policy for most customers to ensure they don't receive "used" electronics. I certainly don't want someones returned electronic item sold to me as new.

It's not ESI's fault that you sold your RS and no longer need the item. Give them a break this time and sell the item here, on Craigs list, or on eBay.

Spyder Garage

Default In my opinion that return policy sucks

I own a business that does several thousand orders a month and our return policy brings us business. The return policy is easy short and to the point here it is from our web site
    " If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase within 60 days of receiving it, we'll take it back. That's it. We cover the shipping, and we offer exchanges, store credit, or full refunds. We want you to know that we are that confident in our product, and that we are committed to you, our customer."
    It shouldnt be any harder then that! Restocking fee! What a load of Harley parts!
    Our return policy has brought us customers and made life long customers because it is simple and customer centered. There is no reason customer service can't be that simple across the board, sure some will take advantage of it, and do, but that is such a slim number compared to real honest customers. Rant complete thank you for your time
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    What a load of Harley parts!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It's never about ...

... the sale. it's always about the relationship ... IMHBAO!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

I own a business that does several thousand orders a month and our return policy brings us business. The return policy is easy short and to the point here it is from our web site
    " If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase within 60 days of receiving it, we'll take it back. That's it. We cover the shipping, and we offer exchanges, store credit, or full refunds. We want you to know that we are that confident in our product, and that we are committed to you, our customer."
    It shouldnt be any harder then that! Restocking fee! What a load of Harley parts!
    Our return policy has brought us customers and made life long customers because it is simple and customer centered. There is no reason customer service can't be that simple across the board, sure some will take advantage of it, and do, but that is such a slim number compared to real honest customers. Rant complete thank you for your time
    I'm so with you on this.

I had a bad experience with ESI myself, early on, and haven't contacted them again since. It had nothing to do with their returns policy, but did have to do with their customer service.

Spyder Garage

I have heard numerous bad experiences/complaints with them and their customer service....there is plenty of other vendors out there that offer the same type of products and do have good customer service!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kytten View Post
    I'm so with you on this.

I had a bad experience with ESI myself, early on, and haven't contacted them again since. It had nothing to do with their returns policy, but did have to do with their customer service.
    Okay, now we're bashiing. Can you tell us what your problem was with customer service?

So far from what I read the original poster did not like their (ESI's) return policy, which was spelled out as Lamont posted. If you don't like their return policy, then don't buy. Someone else comes on and states his return poilicy is such that you have 60 days to return; that's a good policy for what he sells and he has his policy stated on his website. If you like what he is selling and his 60 day policy, then you buy from him.

I've always had great customer service from ESI. I called them this morning and Jodie walked me through a problem I was having.

And, remember, everyone is entitled to their opinion. JMO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Okay, now we're bashiing. Can you tell us what your problem was with customer service?

So far from what I read the original poster did not like their (ESI's) return policy, which was spelled out as Lamont posted. If you don't like their return policy, then don't buy. Someone else comes on and states his return poilicy is such that you have 60 days to return; that's a good policy for what he sells and he has his policy stated on his website. If you like what he is selling and his 60 day policy, then you buy from him.

I've always had great customer service from ESI. I called them this morning and Jodie walked me through a problem I was having.

And, remember, everyone is entitled to their opinion. JMO.
    I was not bashing anyone, thank you.

The OP asked if anyone else had had a problem with ESI. I had a bad experience with them so I said so. I also said I hadn't contacted them since (thus following your "advice" not to buy from them if I didn't like something).

I was generic in my remarks because I wasn't interested in going into a long detailed explanation here. I'm still not. If someone wants to know about the issue in question, I'd be happy to expound on it in private. That is, by the way, to avoid "bashing".

Congratulations on getting good support. I'm happy for you. It doesn't mean that everyone else gets the same, nor that they're bashing someone when they say so.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Never an issue with product or customer service. I have everything they make for my rt. A1 in my book.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I have never had a problem with ESI in any way. Both Nancy and I have several of their products on our Spyders.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My issue here is 2-fold - 1) They assumed I wanted a replacement, when in fact i did not, and before I had received the replacement had bought the RT, 2) I never opened the package, let alone install the unit, and I don't understand why a company wouldn't allow it to be returned.

Like I said in a previous post, they were very good about responding to my original email and issuing an RMA number, as well as a quick turn around on replacing the unit (even though I wasn't expecting it) - regardless of what their return policy states. The one thing that it does not mention however is that warranty replacement items are not returnable, so I could be a jerk and push the issue with them, but I'll just leave well enough alone and buy from someone else. If they have these types of 'exception' policies, i think it should be written somewhere. Every business has to protect themselves from 'cereal returners' and I respect that. I don't have to like, but I respect it.

Spyder Garage

I have done a lot of business with Them with no problems and they always answered my questions however i never had to return anything to them it seems they made an effort to make it right? I was not aware of their return policy until now. I noticed that a lot of companies in NY have a policy of replacing the item or charging you for them to put the item back on the shelf? They seem to do anything they can to keep your cash, No i'am not a fan of this but i do not have the time to track down my local rep and make him aware and have a law passed to protect the consumer and their hard earned cash. Yes i will continue to buy from ESI.

Roger

Spyder Garage

What is the name of your company?

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJ/johnnyg View Post
    What is the name of your company?
    His website address was at the bottom of his post yesterday. I went on their and looked around. I'd give you the website address; but, he must have removed it for a reason. If you're interested, I can PM you?
    Last edited by wyliec; 09-08-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have dealt with Evan and co extensively for my RS and have always found them very willing to stand behind their products and offer prompt and exceptional customer support as well as customer service. Any minor problems were quickly resolved and yes they do charge a restocking fee on returned items--many dealers will not allow the return of electronics period--this is all spelled out clearly in their web site.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it's time to put this issue to rest!
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    His website address was at the bottom of his post yesterday. I went on their and looked around. I'd give you the website address; but, he must have removed it for a reason. If you're interested, I can PM you?
    Jcsmoke.com we make juice for electronic cigarettes. I'm not sure why it went away from the signature, I would suppose Lamont took it off, or I screwed something up.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

It's always good to hear about companies who are crappy. I won't do business with them, simply based on this thread alone. ESI isn't Verizon, or some other company that the government forces us to do business with. I've ranted about ESI's crappy instructions before. As for bashing... what the heck is a negative opinion? What? You're only allowed to make positive comments? Are official sponsors immune to criticism? This is the place we come to find out who's good to do business with and who isn't. If ESI has a lousy return policy and doesn't want to change it to suit their customers, then the best thing that could happen is they go out of business and be replaced by someone who deals with their customers properly, instead of taking them for granted as ESI apparently does. BTW, who cares if their return policy is published for all to read? If it's crappy... change it, or go out of business.
    I don't consider myself a Spyder Ryder, I consider myself a Spyder Pylot!!

Spyder Garage

This has turned into a nasty thread at times. Strong opinions on both sides--good and bad. I am still suprised to see that the problem has not been solved to both parties satisfaction. We are talking about $100 bucks or so here--a lot of bad advertising has happend over this small amount.

Unfortunate situation IMHO.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red