Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry I have to vent ...

Lately around here I have seen a lot of fellow motorcyclists not giving ANY courtesy waving , nodding or anything like it used to be when I was on my 99 GSXR. It went down hill from there with my R6 and on the spyder ... I would say maybe 4 out of 10 dont even look or acknowledge you riding , even when riding on 2 wheels , and today I had some ( I cant type that here) complain that I am parking my Spyder in motorcycle parking .Now my condo building management is on my side and will just add another spot for motorcycles, because we take up so much room compared. We have 3 spots for motorcycles one normal spot no lines etc. and the other spots are split . you would think that the Harley guy who looked and moved his bike out of the bike spot for me to park mine there would have rubbed off on this Suzuki Katana driving loser . BUT really where did the love go ???? Are our own people just turning away from being respectful of other motorcyclists or do they need a whoopin to teach them the unofficial rules of being a biker ?

Can we get like 40 spyders togther to overload my parking lot and make this guy realize hes being a tool ? ;P I wish we could I just hope nothign happens to my Spyder from this guy trying to " sho0w me whos boss"

Spyder Garage

RE: the waving--It seems this year that I have received far fewer waves than in years previous.

Statistically: I have noted that only about 20% of the HD and BMW riders wave. About 90% of other two wheelers wave, and mostly every Spyder gives the wave.

My riding partner waves at all. When someone does not wave--we do a ruff, ruff, through the intercom and have a laugh over it.

RE: parking lot issues: I used to manage apartment complexes--and always experienced problems with people parking where they were not supposed to--the complaints always came to me and I was expected to solve the problems--sometimes at 3:00 AM in the morning. Be careful who you tick off--expecially if they know who you are--damage to the bike can result. Ever had 3 flat tires? It just isn't worth it to make too much noise. Some people are not very nice.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I rarely wave. I usually nod my head.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I nearly always wave and most of the time receive similar response... Must be nicer bikers in my hood
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I really noticed it since I got the Spyder, especially the HD riders. About 1/2 still wave but I think there is a bit of attitude regarding 3 wheels. I still hold a hand out but in never did like the whole inner circle bike wave thing. it is kinda like say "god bless you" after a sneeze, lol.. I do it becuase it is polite and for no other reason.

Regards,

Randy

Spyder Garage

Think it just depends... Some areas, everybody waves. Other places, nobody waves at nobody.

I wave at everybody most the time. To me, its a brother/sisterhood thing.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I get, and answer, plenty of waves from leaners but I have to agree about the majority of HD drivers being reluctant to acknowledge my presence. I've even had the middle finger shown to me and once, during a fuel stop, I've been accosted with the "Why don't you get a proper bike....three wheels fer pussies." Needless to say, you can't even attempt to try to answer something like that without compromising your dignity.
    The best reaction I had was coming back from Virginia one day....coming south the road is up and down and nice and curvy and I had a couple pull alongside me in a gorgeous Austin Healey 3000 and lady passenger was shooting video of me through these corners. I pulled into a station for gas and they pulled in beside me and my five minute pitstop turned into a two hour conversation.
    Coming home on 52 south I spotted an HD sportster parked with toung lady pilot removing helmet. I stopped, backed up and inquired the reason for stopping.......out of gas and husband is getting worried. I took her to get fuel and returned her safely to slumbering HD and waited till she got things running. She asked for my phone number and around eleven that eve I got a phone call from grateful hubby......apparently she'd been riding with other bikers and they had just left her there...!!!
    I play every thursday eve at a biker bar in the area and I've had guys (and girls) relocate their HD's to create room for Spyder. Not all HD drivers are twits and the folk whom I've taken up the road have been very positive.
    Ray

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    I get, and answer, plenty of waves from leaners but I have to agree about the majority of HD drivers being reluctant to acknowledge my presence. I've even had the middle finger shown to me and once, during a fuel stop, I've been accosted with the "Why don't you get a proper bike....three wheels fer pussies." Needless to say, you can't even attempt to try to answer something like that without compromising your dignity.
    The best reaction I had was coming back from Virginia one day....coming south the road is up and down and nice and curvy and I had a couple pull alongside me in a gorgeous Austin Healey 3000 and lady passenger was shooting video of me through these corners. I pulled into a station for gas and they pulled in beside me and my five minute pitstop turned into a two hour conversation.
    Coming home on 52 south I spotted an HD sportster parked with toung lady pilot removing helmet. I stopped, backed up and inquired the reason for stopping.......out of gas and husband is getting worried. I took her to get fuel and returned her safely to slumbering HD and waited till she got things running. She asked for my phone number and around eleven that eve I got a phone call from grateful hubby......apparently she'd been riding with other bikers and they had just left her there...!!!
    I play every thursday eve at a biker bar in the area and I've had guys (and girls) relocate their HD's to create room for Spyder. Not all HD drivers are twits and the folk whom I've taken up the road have been very positive.
    Ray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thats a awesome story . You are a good person kudos . As much as I like the Bikes I would say mainly its the HD riders that have that my bike is better than yours. I even have a buddie who got harrassed with his Honda fury. But to each their own, I appreciate the ability to let me vent . I have calmed down quite a bit , I am worried about the fool doing something to my Spyder , I guess thats why the motorcycle parking is up front so the door guy can keep an eye on the bikes, and I know my condo building has cameras . So if he does do something stupid he will regret his decision .

Spyder Garage

I wave to acknowledge the rider, not to be acknowledged. As such, my feeling aren't hurt if they don't wave back. I even wave at scooters as they share the same wanderlust of being in the wind.

I know most get tired of all the questions by the curious during fuel and food stops. If there are any kids with parents I always invite the children to sit on it and let the parents take pics with their phones. It simply makes my riding experience more fun and breaks the ice during stops.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In my area of northern Illinois the HD riders have been vary good about waving. If I good north of the state line that seems to change. I had an HD riding ahead of me and at the next light asked me to pull up next to him. If asked the required question, "How do you like the Spyder?". Then he complimented me about the bike and gave a big wave as he left the light.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patdcop View Post
    I wave to acknowledge the rider, not to be acknowledged. As such, my feeling aren't hurt if they don't wave back. I even wave at scooters as they share the same wanderlust of being in the wind.

I know most get tired of all the questions by the curious during fuel and food stops. If there are any kids with parents I always invite the children to sit on it and let the parents take pics with their phones. It simply makes my riding experience more fun and breaks the ice during stops.
    I try to wave when I safely can, and to the scooters too. My wife rydes one, and I know, she faces the same risks as the two-wheelers do. I have been fortunate that I have not had any ugly things dirrected towards me other than not being waved back to.
    Last edited by Blue Star; 09-01-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyders riders are regarded the same as scooter riders by most in the Harley world, not that any one should give a darn about it. Actually I like it I have no interest IN mindlesly waving at every bike that comes my way especially on the busy weekends.
    I'm in my own world having a great time riding my Spyder RSS and thinking how Much more fun it is than the awesome looking 2011 CVO screaming eagle street glide that I just sold. After I bought my second spyder I had no more interest in the Harley, never went near it for 2 months I had 2 people almost fighting over it they could not get their heads around the fact that I preffered the spyder.
    Last edited by 34fun; 09-01-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default wave

This morning I past by four or five GW and HD trikes and a couple of mono tracking bikes all in a row waiting for a light .I slowed and waved to each as I went by on my 1990 BMW k1 .Not a one of them noded or lifted a finger .

Spyder Garage

Huh. My anecdotal evidence is as anecdotal as everyone else's here, but around DC I find about 2/3rds of riders give me a wave, with most of *those* being the HD and touring bike riders. The sportbikers around here tend to wave a noticeably bit less.

Of course, that might be the demographics of the area: I think a lot of HD and touring bike riders around here are military or prior service-- typically a very popular waving crowd-- while the sportbikers tend to be a lot of younger kids. The "Harley culture" around here is nowhere near as pronounced as it is out in more rural areas, so I've seen a lot less of the attitude.

Really, I think I've had only two or three noticeably snobby comments or stares about the bike, and none of them were even worth quoting, i.e. they were all "to each their own" moments.

Safe riding...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I have noticed that 99% riders always wave to each other out here. Must be the air
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyder Garage

Default To Protect and Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    thats a awesome story . You are a good person kudos . As much as I like the Bikes I would say mainly its the HD riders that have that my bike is better than yours. I even have a buddie who got harrassed with his Honda fury. But to each their own, I appreciate the ability to let me vent . I have calmed down quite a bit , I am worried about the fool doing something to my Spyder , I guess thats why the motorcycle parking is up front so the door guy can keep an eye on the bikes, and I know my condo building has cameras . So if he does do something stupid he will regret his decision .
    While your Spyder is parked keep it covered. Any thing that may happen to it would be considered breaking and entering. This could help you considerably in the event something does happen. Wave at everybody, even old men on porch swings.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny1 View Post
    I have noticed that 99% riders always wave to each other out here. Must be the air
    Or maybe they are on your provinces largest export BC Bud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wave and have for years. I get a 95% return wave. I wave to say "Hey, I am having a ball, how about you?" If no wave, I think maybe they will have a better day tomorrow. I live about two miles from a very large HD dealer. On Saturday's they always have something going...free hot dogs and soda, bikini bike washes, demo rides, live music...always something. (there are two of these dealerships owned by two brothers and they promote HD!!! and they sell lots of Harleys)

They are unusual in that they are a one stop shop....they own the building, own their insurance company and finance company. Ha ha, go in, pick out a Harley, sign a paper or two and in 20 minutes you are a new Harley Guy! They sell more T-shirts than Fruit of the Loom!

I park in front with my DV license plate and am always shown respect, asked the usual questions and treated as one of the group. I used to get a little kidding when I rode my GW Motor Trike there, but with the Tri-Glides sitting next to BR1, the questions are now directed toward "have you ridden a Tri-Glide?" "What do you think of the two in front vs two in back?" and "one of these days I will get one".

One of the oldest and most "Harley Guy" of the group converted his two wheel HD to a trike....no kidding about trikes when he is around..ha ha

I tell them I come over to eat free hot dogs as the Can Am guys don't make enough money to give food away...they think that is funny...anyway, we get along very well and about 1/3 or more of my group ride Harleys. I also tell them I come here for the Bikini Bike wash because most of the Spyder Ryders in these parts are Southern Baptists and it is no fun having your Spyder washed by an old lady in a long dress...and no tattoos.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did have an odd wave the other day. I was coming out of Bandera, TX and in some sweeping curves. Several bikes went by with the usual waves and then here comes a crotch rocket...he was moving right along. I wave...He pops a wheelie and wiggles the front wheel as he went by...I nearly ran off the road watching him....

It always gets my goat a little when I am going to Bandera for breakfast (Old Spanish Trail Cafe) and running 70+ enjoying my XM radio...I look in the mirror and see lights...many lights coming...fast. I think, Oh Heck, it is the SA Sport Bike club...I pull over to the far side of the right lane and ZOOM..ZOOM..ZOOM, maybe 12-15 pass me like I was tied to a post...when I arrive at the cafe, they are half finished eating and always ask me to ride with them in the hill country...(no way) I always tell them I have a marriage between two Harley men to perform and can't ride today....now, they think that is funny....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default As one of those Southern Baptists, I'm sitting here ...

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I wave and have for years. I get a 95% return wave. I wave to say "

I tell them I come over to eat free hot dogs as the Can Am guys don't make enough money to give food away...they think that is funny...anyway, we get along very well and about 1/3 or more of my group ride Harleys. I also tell them I come here for the Bikini Bike wash because most of the Spyder Ryders in these parts are Southern Baptists and it is no fun having your Spyder washed by an old lady in a long dress...and no tattoos.

... ROFL with that mental image. You made my day again, George.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Default I truly believe times and people have changed.

I can tell you riding a 2-wheeler these days, that even I have fewer waving at me as well. Don't know what it is but OBVIOUSLY...... that's just the way it is, like it or not. Maybe just not as many friendly riders these days. It kills me when we are both riding in the same direction and I wave to them but they do not wave back. Again, I guess that is just the way it is anymore. Just have to grow a little tougher skin! I just keep on waving and I promise you, if I see a spyder, I'll wave at you too.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

In tucson, I'm hitting about 50/50. Had ac group of HD bikers at the top of the mountain that wouldn't acknowledge me, but more than half waved on the way down. Especially when there's 6 lanes f traffic, they don't always see 2 front wheels before they wave.... They just see the helmet! I have to agree, if you wave at someone, walking or riding, the polite thing is to wave back!!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I agree Dave
    I notice more sportbikes with no waves than Harleys. Around here maybe 3 of 4 Harleys wave. I met 5 bikes on the way home today. Only one didn't wave. It was a Harley. Gold Wings almost always wave. Maybe 1% don't. I don't think the Wingers have as much problem with the Spyder as other bikers.

But here is my take on it. I wave at everyone unless I just get caught by surprise. I don't care what brand they are on or even if it is a scoot. That's just the way it is for me. And here is the deal. Those guys who don't wave have no idea that I'll be the first guy to stop and give them a hand if they are broken down, wave or no wave. They don't know it but I do!

We went on a ride to benefit disabled vets this past weekend. Probably 200 Harleys and 3 Spyders. We were absolutely treated great. Of course we were all there on a common cause, but we had no issues at all.

I have never had derogatory remarks made. Not sure that I would take that too well though. I am a pretty slow guy to anger, but I definitely wouldn't take that too well at all. I'd probably have a smart @ss little comment back though (unless there were three of them and only one of me!).

Not waving is one thing. Mouthing off to someone at a gas station is another thing altogether. Glad it has never happened! Without fail, every biker I have met at a station has been pretty cool. Some ask about the RT, and some just say HI and go back about their business. I'm not too shy, so I am usually the first to say HI anyway!

So, rYde and enjoy and keep waving. Even if they don't!

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Huh. My anecdotal evidence is as anecdotal as everyone else's here, but around DC I find about 2/3rds of riders give me a wave, with most of *those* being the HD and touring bike riders. The sportbikers around here tend to wave a noticeably bit less.

Of course, that might be the demographics of the area: I think a lot of HD and touring bike riders around here are military or prior service-- typically a very popular waving crowd-- while the sportbikers tend to be a lot of younger kids. The "Harley culture" around here is nowhere near as pronounced as it is out in more rural areas, so I've seen a lot less of the attitude.

Really, I think I've had only two or three noticeably snobby comments or stares about the bike, and none of them were even worth quoting, i.e. they were all "to each their own" moments.

Safe riding...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default waving

I wave to everyone I don't mind if they don't wave back