Spyder Garage

Default Anyone have experience riding the Delaware Water Gap?

Specifically, the Old Mine Road?

I've got to go with the GF to visit her mother in lovely & scenic Poughkeepsie, NY, in mid-October. She's planning on driving, I'm planning on biking and using her as my pit car .

I've been up that way before, but I need the most scenic route possible for my Spyder. The Delaware Water Gap National Park seems like it'd be a nice ride, especially in the autumn. I'd be riding up from D.C. on a Friday, so I'd hopefully avoid the weekender leaves traffic-- figure I'd do US 15 in the morning, then super-slab it over to the park via I-78, getting me to the park before lunchtime to have a few hours to enjoy the sights and ride.

Only worry is recent reports make it sound like Irene did a number on the park. October's just around the corner, so I'll have to mind the road conditions to ensure it's in good shape (as much as I'd love an adventure touring version of the Spyder, it AIN'T an adventure touring bike ).

Anyway, any thoughts? If I take the trip, I'll definitely file a ride report with photos... need more of those around these parts!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a real nice ride... even if the roads got chopped up a bit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Yesterday i cross the Delaware [upper] At Millford Pa and Narrowsburg, then at Barryville NY. The roads weren't too bad, But i did
    encounter a few closed roads and detours, If i were you i would call the Park Service and ask about the conditions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Yesterday i cross the Delaware [upper] At Millford Pa and Narrowsburg, then at Barryville NY. The roads weren't too bad, But i did
    encounter a few closed roads and detours, If i were you i would call the Park Service and ask about the conditions.
    Yeah, I'll do that when I get closer. I *hope* by October things are cleared up, but one never knows.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Old Copper Mine Road

I agree that you should check with the Park Service before planning to use that road for your trip. The road was in poor condition prior to Irene with areas of wash out and single lane. I have not been on it since Irene, but I imagine it is much worst. It has been "closed". I have not heard that it opened. Route 209 through the Pennsylvania side of the National Park is also a senic ride running alongside the Delaware River from Bushkill to Milford.