Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Something Fiberglass Won't stick to - To help make a mold

Hi all;

I was watching a custom car show and learned something of interest. They used Aluminum Foil, like we use for cooking, as the facing for a fiberglass mold they needed. The piece they needed to duplicate was smoothed and sanded very well. Then they laid the foil in strips overlapping about 2 inches and sealed the seam with 2 inch masking tape. Laid down the fiberglass mat material and put the resin on. When it cured they had a male mold of what they needed. I suppose that making a female mold would follow the same procedure. Custom width and length fenders might be within the reach of anyone willing to give it a shot.

Haven't tried it yet, but I know I will now.

Hope this helps a Garage Gladiator for their next project.

Buck1234

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip. I have a kayac in need of some repair, I think that I'll try it out on that first.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's a new one for me. I was raised in the fiberglass industry. There are a number of Parting Agents or Mold Release materials that are painted onto the master, then the mat and resin applied over it. Often an air hose is used to separate the two pieces. This in particular goes for a gelcoat finish in almost all cases.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    That's a new one for me. I was raised in the fiberglass industry. There are a number of Parting Agents or Mold Release materials that are painted onto the master, then the mat and resin applied over it. Often an air hose is used to separate the two pieces. This in particular goes for a gelcoat finish in almost all cases.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards
    Sounds to me like they were trying to cover the plug to keep from damaging it making the mold. Seems like there would be a lot of finishing involved afertward, to clean up the mold and all the wrinkles, overlaps, and tape marks.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having built many show vehicles yes that is one thing we/they use . Good find though what show was this on ? I may have to start watching it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    Having built many show vehicles yes that is one thing we/they use . Good find though what show was this on ? I may have to start watching it
    West Coast Customs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sounds to me like they were trying to cover the plug to keep from damaging it making the mold. Seems like there would be a lot of finishing involved afertward, to clean up the mold and all the wrinkles, overlaps, and tape marks.
    Checked with a Glass expert 35 years of show corvettes. He said that there is never a perfect mold, all of them have to be tweeked to perfection. Air bubles, small seams ect. That's why he uses skimming bondo on almost all of his molds for the "Perfect" finish. If he does it, it must work. Then for the final piece proper temperature and first class mold release and a careful sanding job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by buck1234 View Post
    Checked with a Glass expert 35 years of show corvettes. He said that there is never a perfect mold, all of them have to be tweeked to perfection. Air bubles, small seams ect. That's why he uses skimming bondo on almost all of his molds for the "Perfect" finish. If he does it, it must work. Then for the final piece proper temperature and first class mold release and a careful sanding job.
    Yea. they're all a bear. Preparation is everything, just like in other bodywork. The big difference is that with 'glass, you have to do the work twice.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yeah Agree with the above post . But its soooo much fun working with fiberglass.