Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Side panel went home

About a month ago while driving between Sarnia and London Ontario our side panel that covers the oil tank flew off. Unable to retreive it, it became part of the Canadian country side.

I called a local dealer to see if they could get it covered under warranty but BRP refused. Thanks to this forum I collected info regarding the panels and grommet issues. I included all this info and made my point. About a week later BRP called me say they would replace it under warranty.

After a month of people asking me what happened to the panel and me saying that it went home it's now finally back in place .

Thank you to Lamont and all the Spyderlovers for providing valuable info. Most of all to BRP for standing behind thier product and their owners.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I added velcro to both the right and left side panels to keep them from growing wings.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

A good example of how to deal with a problem. They can usually get solved when the threats and swearing are left out. You had a legitimate problem, provided them with the information, and they agreed to fix it.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BRP also replaced one of my panels under warranty with no problems. I felt like the Service Manager who filed the warranty claim knew his business and that was one of the major reasons that there were no problems. Also, this happened just about the time that BRP issued the service bulletin about gluing the grommets in place. In my case the dealer had already replaced one of my panels because it blew off just after they assembled the Spyder and they assumed responsibility for it.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Whatever happened to those clips that hook under the frame in the front to hold the panel in place ?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=damn+grommets
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 08-31-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Whatever happened to those clips that hook under the frame in the front to hold the panel in place ?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=damn+grommets

Per production and demo units did not have those and that what ours is. That along with the grommet issues was why, hopefully, BRP granted the warranty repair.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 No Front Hooks

According to the "what's new" section in the 2011 shop manual, the front clips or hooks have been eliminated for 2011 RT's. Instead, the grommets are being glued in at the factory. Sometime during 2011 production, they will convert to holding the grommets in by screws. My RT was built in April 2011 and has no front clips on the panels or screws in the grommets so I'm assuming the grommets are glued in. If anyone has a later production unit with screws in the grommets, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a photo and description. If BRP now feels that's the "best" solution, it would be an easy DIY retrofit with a couple small SS screws in the right places.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default gromets on 2010 Rt s panels

the gromets dry out and when you push the panel back into them they will push on through leaving a hole and the panel with nothing to grab onto. Mine had the little wings on the covers that went behind the frame member but were very hard to get in place. I used the Lammot method and cut the tab wings off so the panels would push in a lot easier. i found that a little 3 in 1 oil on the gromets would allow the pins to push in very well. also i added some tie wraps to the panel and through a hole on the spyder so if a panel came off it would only dangle and not "go home". When i get back from my trip (in South Dakota at the present time on the spyder) I will glue the gromets in place.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT ltd.Front grommets are bolted (can't see any part# on them) ,rear is not.(regular grommet)Have had both rear grommets(right & left side replaced by the dealer a couple of days after picking up my spyder cause both were missing.I'm going to Silicone them in.The back grommet area isn't large enough to apply the bolted type??)DSCN1118 (800x600).jpgDSCN1120 (800x600).jpg

Spyder Garage

Default 3 M is good stuff

I have used the 3 M adhesive for a number of years, this is good stuff. I have my Garmin suction cup mount glued to the bars with it and you can grab the ball mount and shake the spyder with it. It is like it is welded to the center of the bars (same position as the factory GPS mount).

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tconaagt View Post
    I have a 2011 RT ltd.Front grommets are bolted (can't see any part# on them) ,rear is not.(regular grommet)Have had both rear grommets(right & left side replaced by the dealer a couple of days after picking up my spyder cause both were missing.I'm going to Silicone them in.The back grommet area isn't large enough to apply the bolted type??)
    Silicone won't always hold. If you use it, besure to clean the panels thoroughly on both sides, removing any wax with rubbing alcohol or prepsol. Also be sure to let the silicone dry all night, before reinstalling the panels. 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive works faster and sticks better, but it still likes the wax to be removed and to dry at least an hour. It helps top wet the panel posts and the grommets before installing the panels. I use spit, but you are welcome to be more dainty.