Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One for the books

Today my brother and his wife and I and my wife went for a short ride to go for supper. With all the trees down from Irene and electrical wires on the ground it seemed that we had to plan our ride to go to our favorite restaurant. We thought the road we picked would be open because no signs showed that it was closed.
    About two miles down the road we came upon downed wires and we rode over them. It seemed the wires didn't bother my brother. As soon as we went over the wires my wifes right leg started to tingle and on her right hand the index finger started to go numb. I didn't know this happened to my wife as she never said anything to me.
    About two miles down the road between the 3rd and 4th fingers on my left hand started to get electrical shocks as soon as I grabed the clutch. If I made a fist, it seemed to help but I had to shift. This lasted for a while. As far as the went it didn't bother the at all. Just wondering if this happened to anyone here.

Spyder Garage

Consider yourself very lucky - you could have easily been killed. We had a wind storm awhile back here in town where a woman stepped on a downed power line and died.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

You folks were lucky. They say that with rubber tires you are grounded--but it does not appear that was the case here.

Any electrical experts out there?
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You folks were lucky. They say that with rubber tires you are grounded--but it does not appear that was the case here.

Any electrical experts out there?
    Without being grounded you'll still feel it---- just probably won't kill ya....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I'm glad everyone is okay; but, what possessed you to drive over downed power lines?

Spyder Garage

Generally, the power lines that run through residential areas (that are connected to the "cans" on the poles) carry 13,000 plus volts. If the ground is damp, not wet, just damp, 20 feet away is too close. If you see wires down, don't go for a closer look, call the power company. Chances are they will already know, but safe is better than the alternative.

john

Spyder Garage

Default electrical contact

If you were in a rural setting you more than likely drove over a line that was energized at 7200 volts. That is the standard distribution voltage used in rus systems. You are very lucky it did not burn or blow the tires with instant contact. If it was a 3 phase system you may have felt what we call backfeed that is a percentage of the original, still deadly.
    If you ever get stranded in this circumstance call 911 get power co reported,stay on spyder unless it becomes on fire if that happens jump off keeping both feet together and hop from the bike like a bunny. We are dealing with equipotential issues here. This is like throwing a stone in water and watching the ripples, each ripple represents different voltages. It is the different potentials that kill you. This is why you keep the feet together.

Spyder Garage

The wires you crossed may not have been powered, they could even have been telephone or cable wires that had a powered wire laying on them somewhere. Never cross a downed wire, no matter what the apparent type, and never get within 50 feet of a downed power line. They can jump and arc a long distance, and power can come back on unexpectedly...even if they appear dead at the moment.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

As the saying goes, try playing the Lotto, because you're the luckiest guy in the world.

Or, conversely... you just used up all that luck.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!