Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Pulling a trailer with a RS

I think that I would like to pull a small cargo trailer with my 09 RS SE5. What are the pros and cons? What brands of trailers out there would be best suited? Any and all advice would be really appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Piggybacker and Harbor Freight Tagalong, are 2 that come to mind, there are many others out there. The things to look for are light weight, low tongue weight, and for me, wheel size. Most of the hitches want 20 pounds max for tongue weight, and with a 400 pound gross weight, the lighter the trailer, the more stuff you can take. I've had some interesting things happen with 8 inch wheels, so 12 is as small as I'll go.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Towing with an RS/GS????

I know that the RTs have a trailer-towing setting that can be accessed and implemented when needed. Do the RS/GS models have any of this capacity? I they don't, how might that impact the ability to tow safely?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've got over 5,000 miles on my Harbor Freight Tag-a-long with no problems. It's not the prettiest, but at $400, the price is right. It holds quite a bit and keeps the cargo dry.

Yes, it has 8 inch wheels and I've heard good and bad stories about them. I put RideOn in them when I bought the trailer and they've been fine. I do carry a spare tire just in case.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have an 09 RS and pull a Aluma trailer with it...over 1200 miles no issue. I have a BRP hitch and a Hopkins converter for wiring. Any other questions you can PM me.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 with 35000 km sorry that I explain in km im canadian I must of did with my trailer 17000 km with it and have no problem at all. I am pulling a forest green laugage hauler with a brp trailer hitch, the only problem sometimes i forget that im pulling it
    JOE
    Very Happy Owner
    2008 (SM5)#1256 RSXXX
    Black&Red&Silver&Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have been pulling an Escapade LE trailer with my 2008 GS almost from the beginning. I have 24k miles on the Spyder and about 8k of those miles are two-up pulling the trailer. I have a custom made rear axle mount hitch and did not use any sort of converter for my electrical connection. I did use a five prong trailer plug, so I have separate lines for the Left and Right turn signals. Here is a link to a page that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about motorcycle trailers. Good Luck http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-trailer/
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have this America's Best Tailer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail...item3cbb815e49
    I also have this hitch. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-A...item4cf46de40e
    Both work just fine. The trailer is 20 cu. ft. They make a smaller one. The hitch is similiar to the BRP hitch. It fasten to the swing arm. I also use a hopkins converter for the wiring.
    I've been very pleased with everything so far. I've only pulled it about 3000 miles but it pulls behind my 08 GS just fine.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have a very old Lil' Caboose trailer

I bouht my trailer from a fellow Spyder lover in Virginia who had bought an RT with the new trailer. He did quite a lot of work on it and I have put new wheel bearings in the hubs. It too has 8" wheels but they are the 500 series. He had put around 1,000 miles on the tires before I bought it and I must have put nearly another 10,000 miles on those same tires and have had absolutely no problems with tires, bearings or anything pulling the trailer and I have been 75-80 MPH for extended periods of time with it. The tires look as if they can go at least another 7000 to 8000 miles before I will need to replace them. I have the Corbin bags so I bought the Corbin hitch and is working great also. I have a 2008 RS with 54,000 2 up miles on it and and it pulls the trailer like it is not even there. Pulling a trailer is now a necessity for us even if we are only going somewhere over night.....it is sooo much easier to stow your things for a trip!!
    Last edited by Spyderjockey; 08-29-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I have this America's Best Tailer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail...item3cbb815e49
    I also have this hitch. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-A...item4cf46de40e
    Both work just fine. The trailer is 20 cu. ft. They make a smaller one. The hitch is similiar to the BRP hitch. It fasten to the swing arm. I also use a hopkins converter for the wiring.
    I've been very pleased with everything so far. I've only pulled it about 3000 miles but it pulls behind my 08 GS just fine.
    I just looked at the Spyder hitch on ebay. If it also fits, and it should, I'll order it. Good savings over the BPR hitch. Due to some physical problems I should be able to install myself with the assistance of a couple of friends. Did you also have to purchase the BPR wiring harness in addition to the Hopkins wiring converter?
    Last edited by Rockytime; 08-29-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: grammar error

Spyder Garage

The BRP harness is RT specific, you can't use it on an RS without a lot of modification. The Hopkins powered converter, a few Positaps, and a plug to match your trailer's is all you need. If you have an auxillary fuse block, it makes it a little easier.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytime View Post
    I just looked at the Spyder hitch on ebay. If it also fits, and it should, I'll order it. Good savings over the BPR hitch. Due to some physical problems I should be able to install myself with the assistance of a couple of friends. Did you also have to purchase the BPR wiring harness in addition to the Hopkins wiring converter?
    One difference in the Canadian hitch and the BRP hitch is you have to take the axle off and insert it through the hitch. It's not hard but I would recommend reading a thread or two on how to avoid having to readjust the belt after doing this. You will need a 36mm socket/wrench to get the axle off.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The BRP harness is RT specific, you can't use it on an RS without a lot of modification. The Hopkins powered converter, a few Positaps, and a plug to match your trailer's is all you need. If you have an auxillary fuse block, it makes it a little easier.

john
    Retread(john) did my wiring for the trailer. He did a masterful job so I defer to him in questions regarding the wiring or converter. I will say if you get the trailer I mentioned, it will include a converter(among serveral other things) that you can use. However, it is not a powered converter so you would have to tap into the Spyder wiring for power. John thinks that may cause problems so we both used the powered Hopkins converter and who am I to question his wisdom.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

On my 08 RS I pull a Bushtic trailer. They have a very good hitch also. Didn't even notice I was pulling a trailer while riding the dragon.
    Steve

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Boots's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Smile trailer/hitch

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    I have an 09 RS and pull a Aluma trailer with it...over 1200 miles no issue. I have a BRP hitch and a Hopkins converter for wiring. Any other questions you can PM me.
    I recently had a hitch installed on my RS.The hitch I had installed is a Bushtec with a 5 wiring harness.I am concerned about any bouncing with trailer I would have with this hitch not installed on the swingarms.I am also looking for a alum trailer.Any suggestions would help on size,weight,tire size.Do have any suggestions where I can find a reasonable priced alum trailer ? Thankyou,Boots
    Last edited by Boots; 08-03-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default hitch/trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder#353 View Post
    On my 08 RS I pull a Bushtic trailer. They have a very good hitch also. Didn't even notice I was pulling a trailer while riding the dragon.
    I am glad to see someone else has a bushtec hitch for their 08 RS.How does yours fasten on ? What should I be looking for in purchasing a trailer ? Any suggestions where I can find a reasonable priced trailer ?Thankyou,Boots

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've got a 2009 RS that I put the Canadian Hitch on with no problems and the guy also sells the harness for $39. I bought a Little Guy trailer off Ebay for $600 that I'm hauling with no problems at all...Here's a picture of it...not yellow anymore, painted it black just this week..Taking it on a trip to SITA leaving on Sunday...Has a tongue weight of 30 lbs and was previously pulled by a Goldwing. Will let you know how well it does on the highway but it's done terrific on the short trips I've made with it.

Minitrailer.jpg
    Last edited by Littlebadwolf; 08-03-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I recently had a hitch installed on my RS.The hitch I had installed is a Bushtec with a 5 wiring harness.I am concerned about any bouncing with trailer I would have with this hitch not installed on the swingarms.I am also looking for a alum trailer.Any suggestions would help on size,weight,tire size.Do have any suggestions where I can find a reasonable priced alum trailer ? Thankyou,Boots
    Frame mounted hitches work perfectly well...better than swingarm mount in some cases. Most trailer hitches are frame mounted.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I am glad to see someone else has a bushtec hitch for their 08 RS.How does yours fasten on ? What should I be looking for in purchasing a trailer ? Any suggestions where I can find a reasonable priced trailer ?Thankyou,Boots
    Deb- We have the BuschTech hitch (that's one we used when we met you in Cuba) with their wiring harness they are wonderful to work with and very willing to help you over the phone if you come up with problems.
    --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I had an 09 RS with BRP hitch and trailer. I was in Wi. at one of the BRP factories and was talking to one of the gentelman there and he said "that style bike is not recommended to pull a trailer" I looked at him and told him "But it's your trailer!" Then I looked in the manual and sure enough not recommended to pull a trailer. Sooo I pulled that BRP trailer for about 15,000 miles. Didn't break anything, and had to keep looking to see if it was still there. Just be careful of WHAT kind you get and have fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    I had an 09 RS with BRP hitch and trailer. I was in Wi. at one of the BRP factories and was talking to one of the gentelman there and he said "that style bike is not recommended to pull a trailer" I looked at him and told him "But it's your trailer!" Then I looked in the manual and sure enough not recommended to pull a trailer. Sooo I pulled that BRP trailer for about 15,000 miles. Didn't break anything, and had to keep looking to see if it was still there. Just be careful of WHAT kind you get and have fun.
    there is no motorcycle of any make or model, except the Spyder RT, that is rated for trailer towing. There are lots of motrcycle trailers being towed, though. Dealers can be such kill-joys!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I've got a 2009 RS that I put the Canadian Hitch on with no problems and the guy also sells the harness for $39. I bought a Little Guy trailer off Ebay for $600 that I'm hauling with no problems at all...Here's a picture of it...not yellow anymore, painted it black just this week..Taking it on a trip to SITA leaving on Sunday...Has a tongue weight of 30 lbs and was previously pulled by a Goldwing. Will let you know how well it does on the highway but it's done terrific on the short trips I've made with it.

Minitrailer.jpg
    i'm going to track you down in lake placid to see this rig. i've been trying to talk the wife into doing something like this on our rs. like the look too. kinda looks like one of those r-pods (teardrop style) cool, very cool!

Spyder Garage

Default trailer

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    where did you purchased your aluma trailer ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    i'm going to track you down in lake placid to see this rig. i've been trying to talk the wife into doing something like this on our rs. like the look too. kinda looks like one of those r-pods (teardrop style) cool, very cool!

Preliminary looks of the trailer I pull with my RS..Still have a couple coats of paint to put on but I'm gonna wait until we get back from SITA...See ya there....
    30lb tongue weight - Trailer dimensions (in LWH): 113 x 64 x 43
    Strong, steel frame - Cargo space (in): 51 x 44 x 27
    $3495

trailer2 045.jpgtrailer2 047.jpgtrailer2 046.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Littlebadwolf; 08-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post

Minitrailer.jpg
    Here's my review on the Little Guy trailer...The RS pulls it like a champ with very little effort. You can haul a lot of equipment with this guy...I pulled it over 1900 miles going to SITA and back...Definitely glad I bought this..It can pack a lot more than BRP's trailer and definitely a lot cheaper..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I've got over 5,000 miles on my Harbor Freight Tag-a-long with no problems. It's not the prettiest, but at $400, the price is right. It holds quite a bit and keeps the cargo dry.

Yes, it has 8 inch wheels and I've heard good and bad stories about them. I put RideOn in them when I bought the trailer and they've been fine. I do carry a spare tire just in case.
    Just got back from SITR, and pulled a Harbor Freight trailer. It is their 4 x 4 flat bed with 12 inch wheals with a Sears car topper bolted on. Another in the group had the Harbor Freight Tag-a-long with 8 inch wheals. We traveled 75 to 80 MPH for most of the way their with no troubles, and like others have said did not even know it was there sometimes.

Trailer 3.jpg
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold