Spyder Garage

Default 12 volts up front ?

Hey Everyone-

I'd like to get some ideas on where everyone has put a 12 volt outlet up near the driver's area for cell phone, gps, etc. Where you've tapped into to get power. And what parts (from where) were used.

I just about kills me to spend what BRP wants for a 12 volt outlet, and then have to put it back by the passenger where the pop out is!

Thanks, in advance, for your comments...
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

The pop-out near the passenger is for the comm system interface, not a 12V outlet. It will work for one, though. I put Powerlet outlets in my front speaker panels. They are powered from an Eastern Beaver 3CS fuse block I installed. I did something similar with the other two Spyders, too. I highly recommend the Powerlet (BMW-type) outlets.

There is really no simple and cheap way to do this. Even the simplest connection requires removal of a lot of bodywork. If you have it done by a dealer, that translates into substantial labor costs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty, can you post a pic or two of your setup? And, can you explain how to setup the fuse block you mentioned? I, too, like the BMW style powerlet and would be interested in installing one on my RT-S.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the answers so far...

Yes, if the dealer does it it will be expensive... and if I do it, it will be a pain in the a**...

Might wait until the next oil change, when some of the panels will be off anyway (I think)...

But thanks to the two responses so far, and I too would like to see some pics of that speaker grill installation.
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Scotty, can you post a pic or two of your setup? And, can you explain how to setup the fuse block you mentioned? I, too, like the BMW style powerlet and would be interested in installing one on my RT-S.
    I didn't take pictures of the Powerlet installation this time, apparently. I wll to to shhot some tomorrow or Friday. On my 2010 I put the Powerlets in the glove box Y-panel. That was tricky, since there is no room for error and the glovebox is a pain to remove. Removing the speaker grills is easier, they just pop out (with difficulty). The 3CS was installed on both Spyders under the left side panel, near the positive jumper terminal. It was wired directly to the battery, with the relay coil pulled in by the light circuit on the passenger heated grip switch.

On the 2010, I wired everything myself, through a piece of split loom, but on the 2011 I elected to purchase ready-made wiring looms for the Powerlet outlets from Eastern Beaver, which greatly simplified the wiring runs. Sorry, no good ways to take pictures of all that, or explain the step-by-step process. Wiring is not really a learn as you go along operation, anyway.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!