Spyder Garage

Default Careful with the clock...

At least that's the answer from BRP, via my dealer...

First, the backstory. Purchased the CB Comm system and Entertainment Harness, and had the dealer install them. To do so, they also disconnected the battery (makes sense). When everything was buttoned back up, the clock of course was not set for the current time. So I re-set it, but apparently set it past 24 hours (which I could tell the next day, since it was 12 hours off from what I thought it was. Love that 24-hour clock time...).

Anyway, the next morning - big ol' Check Engine light, engine running rough. Turn off, try again, seems okay. Next morning, same thing, only it won't clear. Engine shaking like mad, bike vibrating, even after six tries. Checked battery terminals, all good there. Using the excellent info provided by the folks here at Spyderlovers.com , I was able to bring up the fault code: P1614. Sounds like a throttle body or related issue, based on also searching for that code here on the board. Except that during my 600 mile service the dealer had looked up my VIN and the bike already had that fix from the factory (my RT-S was delivered at the beginning of July). Just about ready to call for a tow, when on the last attempt the bike started normally. And ran normally, all the way to the dealer, where I dropped it off for a look-see.

So over the next few days, the dealer hooks up the BUDS and finds no fault codes, current or past. Coincidentally, their Spyder tech is on a regular conference call with BRP and other dealer techs, and another dealer tech brings up the same issue as on my bike. And BRP says, "There's a known bug with the clock - if you cycle it past 24 hours, it generates a phantom code." Although of course, in my case, it wasn't just a code, it was the actual bike not running right... In any event, the bike ran fine for the dealer, and still shows no code history (but it was there, since I brought it up when the Check Engine came on, and then had to look it up here to see what it was...). And the bike is still running fine now, after I've picked it up. So go figure. I'll leave it to y'all to decide if this explanation makes any particular sense (clock disables bike... ) Never can trust those dang computers... (and I even work in the computer industry...)

And I've left that clock alone now, wrong time and all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Radguy View Post
    At least that's the answer from BRP, via my dealer...

First, the backstory. Purchased the CB Comm system and Entertainment Harness, and had the dealer install them. To do so, they also disconnected the battery (makes sense). When everything was buttoned back up, the clock of course was not set for the current time. So I re-set it, but apparently set it past 24 hours (which I could tell the next day, since it was 12 hours off from what I thought it was. Love that 24-hour clock time...).

Anyway, the next morning - big ol' Check Engine light, engine running rough. Turn off, try again, seems okay. Next morning, same thing, only it won't clear. Engine shaking like mad, bike vibrating, even after six tries. Checked battery terminals, all good there. Using the excellent info provided by the folks here at Spyderlovers.com , I was able to bring up the fault code: P1614. Sounds like a throttle body or related issue, based on also searching for that code here on the board. Except that during my 600 mile service the dealer had looked up my VIN and the bike already had that fix from the factory (my RT-S was delivered at the beginning of July). Just about ready to call for a tow, when on the last attempt the bike started normally. And ran normally, all the way to the dealer, where I dropped it off for a look-see.

So over the next few days, the dealer hooks up the BUDS and finds no fault codes, current or past. Coincidentally, their Spyder tech is on a regular conference call with BRP and other dealer techs, and another dealer tech brings up the same issue as on my bike. And BRP says, "There's a known bug with the clock - if you cycle it past 24 hours, it generates a phantom code." Although of course, in my case, it wasn't just a code, it was the actual bike not running right... In any event, the bike ran fine for the dealer, and still shows no code history (but it was there, since I brought it up when the Check Engine came on, and then had to look it up here to see what it was...). And the bike is still running fine now, after I've picked it up. So go figure. I'll leave it to y'all to decide if this explanation makes any particular sense (clock disables bike... ) Never can trust those dang computers... (and I even work in the computer industry...)

And I've left that clock alone now, wrong time and all.
    To be continued? (put this in so it will go up to the top and someone with knowledge may be able to respond)

Chris

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how you go past 24 hours. I'm not understanding this problem at all.

Spyder Garage

Only makes since if there is also a hidden calendar...Don't know how you can go past 24 hours UNLESS there is a calendar (date/time function) within the clock!!!

Spyder Garage

I think the idea was that if you cycle the clock all the way through from, say, 00:01 thru 23:59 and past that, it somehow screws up the computer. Personally I find the whole explanation largely suspect (not the dealer tech's fault, he was just reporting what BRP said during the conference call). I'm pretty much chalking the whole thing up to the gremlins, since I don't have a bell hanging on my Spyder yet...

Spyder Garage

I am having the same issue on mine, but they are replacing the throttle body, not just the update. Mine did that once, then about a month later it did it again, once. Then it did it where I had to reset it several times like you did to get it to start. Ran fine the rest of that day. Next day it was worse, took more times to get it to start normal. Took it in last week, they ordered the trottle body. So keep an eye on it, if it continues, you may have to have the throttle body replaced. It probably has nothing to do with the clock (of course I'm not a mechanic).

Spyder Garage

Unintended consequences. Anytime you have multiple programming requirements wrapped up together, you have to be careful for the unexpected gotcha's. An example would be the fix for the release delay that caused the CB to continue transmitting several seconds after releasing the PTT button. Turned out it was a simple programming error, but required the whole dash cluster to be replaced to fix it. Also found that the trailer wiring harness was the culprit for transmitting a ton of static whenever I push the CB's PTT button, but only while the trailer was attached.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

And I thought my clock issue was bad. Mine is that the clock runs fast, I reset it to the time on the GPS or cellphone, then the clock will run fast until it gets 11 minutes fast then stays there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 8 Legged Freak View Post
    And I thought my clock issue was bad. Mine is that the clock runs fast, I reset it to the time on the GPS or cellphone, then the clock will run fast until it gets 11 minutes fast then stays there.
    When you set it, set it 11 minutes behind.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Nobody's Spyder clock keeps correct time. I gave up a long time ago, and just another reason to not touch the darn thing.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Nobody's Spyder clock keeps correct time. I gave up a long time ago, and just another reason to not touch the darn thing.
    Ours have all kept pretty good time. Must be better on Eastern Daylight Time.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I'm not sure how you go past 24 hours. I'm not understanding this problem at all.

Worm holes Lamont. Worm holes.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Leave it alone, Tell time by the Sun.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm... by the Sun

I'm with you on this... If the sun isn't visible it's either cloudy or Night time...Otherwise it's day time... Let's go Spyder rydin'... Len

Leave it alone, Tell time by the Sun.[/QUOTE]
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Who cares what time it is when riding the Spyder anyway?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Who cares what time it is when riding the Spyder anyway?