Spydii917

Default HID Headlights or Aftermarket Foglights

Hello Everyone!

I have a 2008 GS SM5 with just the stock halogen headlights. I live in deer country and would really like to either add a second set of halogen lights aftermarket fog lights or replace my stock lights with HID's. I am looking for birghter lights, more distance and visibility in the ditches.
    • Any suggestions on the best route to go?
    After doing some research on HID lights I have found that most HID kits generally only come with bulbs and ballasts. I have read that most you need a new lense reflector for your light housing to focus the light correctly. If you do not get a different reflector, the light shines uncontrollably and make it even more difficult for on coming traffic to see causing them to flash their lights at you.
    • Does the Spyder require a new reflector or does the stock one work for both?
    • If the stock reflector does work for both, what company do you recommend for the lights and how hard are they to put in?
    The factory lights are very expensive but if that is what I need to do I will.
    • Does anyone have the BRP factory HID lights in their bike and if so, how do you like them?
    • Are they easy to install?
    My concern with another set of halogens is that alot of members on here have complained about how starved for power (electrically) the Spyder is. This is the only added electrical accessory I would like to add.
    • Does anyone have the motolights and if so, do you like them?
    • Would the Motolights with 50W upgrade work for what I am looking for?
    • Is it going to draw too much juice?
    Any comments, suggestions, or experience with any of these items is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Barry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last few sets of HID's that I have installed granted not in a spyder yet have a kind of shield on one side so your HIDs arent INSANELY bright . I found this out on the first set I installed into my car. I took off that little shield and pointed my HIDs down as far as they could go and still got flashed . I would leave that little piece on , as long as it has it . The OEM HIDS that i have seen ( thanks mr orange ) were AWESOME looking . I would love to ride at night behind him to see how they illuminate . but from what I have read they do a good job but are $$$$ . once i get my lazy buttocks to the shop in libertyville to install the aftermarket HIDS ill let ya know how they are .

Spyder Garage

One of the first mods I did to my Spyder (back in 2008) was to replace the stock headlights with HID lights from NoMagicNeon (which is now called ESI). They are still the best safety and convenience item I've put on my Spyder.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    The last few sets of HID's that I have installed granted not in a spyder yet have a kind of shield on one side so your HIDs arent INSANELY bright . I found this out on the first set I installed into my car. I took off that little shield and pointed my HIDs down as far as they could go and still got flashed . I would leave that little piece on , as long as it has it . The OEM HIDS that i have seen ( thanks mr orange ) were AWESOME looking . I would love to ride at night behind him to see how they illuminate . but from what I have read they do a good job but are $$$$ . once i get my lazy buttocks to the shop in libertyville to install the aftermarket HIDS ill let ya know how they are .
    I am almost sure Mr Orange has a set of XenonDepot HIDs, not OEMs. Nonetheless, they sure are nice looking and do shine a lot of light out on to the road at night.

Spyder Garage

Default Why not both?

I put HID's I purchased on Ebay for about $40 and driving lights I got at Wallyworld for $20. The Hid's are awesome(I'm older than dirt but they sure illuminate the road) and the driving lights were rated as having more illumination than a set at $400. The 2 different wave lenghts make the bike that more visible, I'd do it all over again. Ride safe.
    American Legion Riders/GA Patriot Guard Rider

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the HIDs from ESI. Lots of light. I also have some running lights from here. http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...StoreFront.bok LEDs that take very few amps. Lots of light and well made. The 24 watters are only $50 now. They also offer remote dimmers.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I have installed various sets of of HID's on many Spyders. Recently did ones on Tina's (8 legs) from Xenondepot/KBcarstuff (site sponsor)-- did both fogs and headlights and it all went quite well. Had my Xenon depot kits in for a few years and they work great.

I also have in my possession an actual BRP HID Xenon kit. More on that later.

Pertaining to the lenses--

I noticed a difference in the lenses from my 2008 Spyder to Tina's 2009. Mine have a circular pattern in them - her's does not. Not sure if this makes any real difference on how the light is spread - but I couldn't see any difference when we tested them side by side. What I noticed with the BRP HID kit is that it has the same circular patterns on the lenses. I also have a set of headlights off another 2008 Spyder and they have the circular patterns.

The aftermarket kits install pretty easy, Lamont has some good tips out here - and we took a bunch of photos during last weeks install that I plan on posting also.

A few people have had EFI interference issues with aftermarket HID kits that can cause some strange errors on their Spyder. This can happen with any aftermarket kit in my opinion. I don't think those problems have been wide spread - but some have posted of them. I've had good luck with the Xenon Depot kits and they look identical to just about every kit I've ever seen or installed.

On the BRP kit - it's a really professional looking kit - maybe a bit more involved install (I've never installed a set). They have a bit different ballast setup - most likely to avoid any interference issues. The bulbs on the BRP HID kit are totally different than what the aftermarket kits use.

The pricing of the BRP kit is outrageous - mainly due to it coming with a whole new set of light fixtures. They sell them for around $800 now I believe.

I'll be selling my unused BRP HID kit in the near future. I only bought it to examine it for a project I'm working on and will let them go for $400 - but I can't let them go for a week. They are brand new - never used. I'm only taking pictures and measurements - not powering them up.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spydii917

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I have installed various sets of of HID's on many Spyders. Recently did ones on Tina's (8 legs) from Xenondepot/KBcarstuff (site sponsor)-- did both fogs and headlights and it all went quite well. Had my Xenon depot kits in for a few years and they work great.

I also have in my possession an actual BRP HID Xenon kit. More on that later.

Pertaining to the lenses--

I noticed a difference in the lenses from my 2008 Spyder to Tina's 2009. Mine have a circular pattern in them - her's does not. Not sure if this makes any real difference on how the light is spread - but I couldn't see any difference when we tested them side by side. What I noticed with the BRP HID kit is that it has the same circular patterns on the lenses. I also have a set of headlights off another 2008 Spyder and they have the circular patterns.

The aftermarket kits install pretty easy, Lamont has some good tips out here - and we took a bunch of photos during last weeks install that I plan on posting also.

A few people have had EFI interference issues with aftermarket HID kits that can cause some strange errors on their Spyder. This can happen with any aftermarket kit in my opinion. I don't think those problems have been wide spread - but some have posted of them. I've had good luck with the Xenon Depot kits and they look identical to just about every kit I've ever seen or installed.

On the BRP kit - it's a really professional looking kit - maybe a bit more involved install (I've never installed a set). They have a bit different ballast setup - most likely to avoid any interference issues. The bulbs on the BRP HID kit are totally different than what the aftermarket kits use.

The pricing of the BRP kit is outrageous - mainly due to it coming with a whole new set of light fixtures. They sell them for around $800 now I believe.

I'll be selling my unused BRP HID kit in the near future. I only bought it to examine it for a project I'm working on and will let them go for $400 - but I can't let them go for a week. They are brand new - never used. I'm only taking pictures and measurements - not powering them up.
    • Have you been flashed or brighted alot when meeting other vehicles with the HID's from Xenon Depot.
    • What kit is everyone usning from Xenon Depot?
    • Are they easy to install or not? (plug and play or drilling and slicing)
    Thanks guys for your responses!

I would love to hear more from other members of the forum and their experiences. Especially members with BRP HID's installed as well as people with experience with the Spyder being under powered (electrically).

Spyder Garage

• Have you been flashed or brighted alot when meeting other vehicles with the HID's from Xenon Depot.

Only when my lights were not aligned properly or when I have my brights on. My fogs were a bit too high and thus caused some people flashing me-- I have HID's in all 4 lights.

I used the less expensive VOLT kits that they sell - no problems:

For the main headlights:

VDP-4k-H7
    H7 4300k Volt Digital+ Xenon HID Conversion kit
    (You can go with other temp ranges - 6,000, etc. but the 4300K is closest to white and technically provides the most 'seeable' light)

Fogs:
    VDP-4k-H8
    H8 4300k Volt Digital+ Xenon HID Conversion kit
    (This may come marked as H11 - but they fit the H8 socket just fine)

Note:
    It is a common misconception that higher color temps (K’s) produce brighter lights. This is not true. The color temp only determines the color - (not the brightness) of the HID light. The Color Temp is simply a scale represented by the Kelvin Temp Chart (K) that measures the color of the light output. The higher the color temp -the closer you get to bluish/purplish light. I personally would not go over 6,000K.

No drilling, no splicing. The electronics are plug and play - but you do have to fiddle with the H7 bulb retaining clip in order to get the HID bulb to properly lock into the fixture. Pretty simple - and the pics out here help a bunch. I'll post some walkthru pics of my recent installs that should help. The most difficult part is getting your hands in to the bulb area in order to twist the bulb into place. Small hands help - but it's still a pain. If you're pretty handy with things - it will take you about 2 hours to do the install. The fogs can be done really quick since the access is open.

Spyder Garage

Only when my lights were not aligned properly or when I have my brights on. My fogs were a bit too high and thus caused some people flashing me-- I have HID's in all 4 lights.
    I used the less expensive VOLT kits that they sell - no problems:

For the main headlights:

VDP-4k-H7
    H7 4300k Volt Digital+ Xenon HID Conversion kit
    (You can go with other temp ranges - 6,000, etc. but the 4300K is closest to white and technically provides the most 'seeable' light)

Fogs:
    VDP-4k-H8
    H8 4300k Volt Digital+ Xenon HID Conversion kit
    (This may come marked as H11 - but they fit the H8 socket just fine)

Note:
    It is a common misconception that higher color temps (K’s) produce brighter lights. This is not true. The color temp only determines the color - (not the brightness) of the HID light. The Color Temp is simply a scale represented by the Kelvin Temp Chart (K) that measures the color of the light output. The higher the color temp -the closer you get to bluish/purplish light. I personally would not go over 6,000K.

No drilling, no splicing. The electronics are plug and play - but you do have to fiddle with the H7 bulb retaining clip in order to get the HID bulb to properly lock into the fixture. Pretty simple - and the pics out here help a bunch. I'll post some walkthru pics of my recent installs that should help. The most difficult part is getting your hands in to the bulb area in order to twist the bulb into place. Small hands help - but it's still a pain. If you're pretty handy with things - it will take you about 2 hours to do the install. The fogs can be done really quick since the access is open.

Firefly,
    So if I wanted to install these on my wifes 2011 RT-S SE5 and wanted to go with the 6K HID should I be ordering the following?
    H7 6000K Volt Digital + Xenon HID Conversion Kit &
    H8 6000K Volt Digital + Xenon HID Conversion Kit
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Firefly,
    So if I wanted to install these on my wifes 2011 RT-S SE5 and wanted to go with the 6K HID should I be ordering the following?
    H7 6000K Volt Digital + Xenon HID Conversion Kit &
    H8 6000K Volt Digital + Xenon HID Conversion Kit
    NO!

Sorry - I should have been specific-- these are for RS bikes ONLY.

I have no idea what the RT requires........

Spydii917

Firefly,

Thank you for being so helpful and bringing such a wealth of knowledge to the table for us un-experienced members!
    • Is there any sort of a fix for the EFI, that you know of, if the aftermarket HID's do happen to throw an error?
    • Just to clarify, if I was to buy the H7 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit HID's from Xenon Depot, does it include everything I will need for the install?
    • If you would be willing, can you please reply to this thread with a link to your step by step install of your HID lights so that anyone interested can click to view them?
    Once again, from all of us that are interested in aftermarket lights, thank you sooo much for all your help!!!

Spyder Garage

NO!

Sorry - I should have been specific-- these are for RS bikes ONLY.

I have no idea what the RT requires........
    OK, thanks. I'll keep looking for which ones to get.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydii917 View Post
    Firefly,

Thank you for being so helpful and bringing such a wealth of knowledge to the table for us un-experienced members!
    • Is there any sort of a fix for the EFI, that you know of, if the aftermarket HID's do happen to throw an error?
    • Just to clarify, if I was to buy the H7 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit HID's from Xenon Depot, does it include everything I will need for the install?
    • If you would be willing, can you please reply to this thread with a link to your step by step install of your HID lights so that anyone interested can click to view them?

Once again, from all of us that are interested in aftermarket lights, thank you sooo much for all your help!!!
    Lamont posted a 'how to' quite some time ago:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-install-GS-RS

This will show you basically what's involved. I have some extra pics of the my recent install of the Xenon depot kits that I still have to add some words to and I'll post them as well....

Yes-- the H7 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit contains everything you need to do the conversion on any RS Spyder.

Spyder Garage

If you get them and need a hand putting them in-- give me a shout. We could meet up 1/2 way --maybe in Indiana as Tina lives down there. Could do the install anywhere - would take me about an hour all in all..... I'm always looking for an excuse to put more miles on my Spyder.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    OK, thanks. I'll keep looking for which ones to get.
    There is a thread search xenon it has the info on the RT lights. I just ordered them last night I'm not at home so I don't have the item number. I ordered the Extreme I think $174.99 on sale.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am in the process of putting HIDs on my 2011 RTS the bulbs are not what the service manual says
    The manual says H9, however in my bike they are 9005s. I ordered a set of them from Amazon about
    50.00. I sent the bulbs back for exchange.

Pete

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Eye View Post
    I am in the process of putting HIDs on my 2011 RTS the bulbs are not what the service manual says
    The manual says H9, however in my bike they are 9005s. I ordered a set of them from Amazon about

Pete
    I'm confused---- you do know you can't just install HID bulbs in place of the stock ones-- right?

Needs a whole ballast setup, etc.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Eye View Post

Pete
    I don't know about the manual, but the parts fiche specifies the HB3 (65W) for the RT, which is the same configuration as a 9005 (60 W), I think.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

XenonDepot (Steve) walked me through the process. I knew very little about this topic but was lucky enough to win $100 gift certificate at SITR. He can explain your options to you. He even called me on the phone for details. Great vendor.

Spyder Garage

I would not install anything but BRP products. If you do so BEST will void your warranty.
    I know the law saids they can not. But do you have the cash to fight a war?
    If you want to play around adding aftermarket parts sell your spyder, and by a Harley.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nater1 View Post
    I would not install anything but BRP products. If you do so BEST will void your warranty.
    If you want to play around adding aftermarket parts sell your spyder, and by a Harley.
    Incorrect.

Still gonna just keep complaining without telling us what really happened?

BTW-- HD sells header wraps --- but their warranty says they won't cover fuel injected engines that have header wraps installed ------ told my friend he better wait till he's no longer under warranty before doing it.

Spyder Garage

I am just giving friendly advice to not have problems.

Spyder Garage

Give it a rest! Hasn't your supply of rocks run out yet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spydii917

This is no concern of mine as my Spyder is a 2008 and it no longer has any warranty. Thanks anyway.