Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Yikes! What a wakeup call about safe riding gear. You are very lucky, but are to be congratulated for using full safety gear, even in the hottest part of the summer. I know too many people that never use full helmets and even ride bare armed in the summer.
    Your story shows very clear reasons to dress for safety more than convenience.

Sure glad to hear you were not seriously injured.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you're able to heal, praying for complete and quick healing.
    A little wisdom from someone else who learned the hard way...Bungies are for jumping, straps are for tying things down.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

OMG! You were definitely born yesterday, as the Big Guy was really looking out for you. Looks like you had the same soft bags I have which I really don't like because they droop to the inside of the wheels. Guess I'll have to take a consider the expense of hard bags. The fact that you were wearing all your gear also makes me feel foolish. It is so hot around here during summer that I wear a half helmet and short sleeve shirts versus full riding gear. If the same would have happened to me I probably wouldn't have been as lucky. Glad you are Ok! Keep healing and thanks again for sharing!

Spyder Garage

So happy you are still here to post with us. Feel better soon.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    The point of my posting is to let you guys know it's okay to wear full gear. Even if your family and friends make fun of you. Even if you ride a spyder which is a bit safer than a bike at times. Even if people tell you it's too hot outside for gear or you're taking a trip around the corner.
    My full gear saved my life. I can kiss my wife and 7 year old daughter tonight because of my gear.
    Could have said it better! Glad you're okay.
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RS-S - Racing Exhaust Pipe System Kit - Passenger Peg Extensions * Custom Dynamics: HID Headlight Upgrade Kit - Center Tail Light - Wake Up Brake Flasher - Day Runners- Cool White - LED Front Turn Signals - White LED Front Turn Signals - LED Tail Light Conversion * Spyderpops Kits: Missing Air Dam - Missing Belt Guard - Missing Heat Shield - Air Management Systems * Hornblaster Dual-Tone Motorcycle Air Horn * V1 Radar/Laser Detector - Garmin Zumo 550

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Im no expert but after looking at the Video it looks like the rear fender and belt covers are not on the bike. The left saddle bag looks to be jamed between the belt and sproket. That would be like throwing a stick into some kids spokes on his bicycle

Im in the process of getting my bike ready for a trip to Indy and have decided to pack ALL my riding gear and wear them even if its hot out. Im glad your ok.

Spyder Garage

Give me a call or a pm if you need anything at all. 267-342-4198

Spyder Garage

Really glad you're ok. Surviving a rollover at 75mph is remarkable, never mind with only minor injuries. Great case for AGATT.

From the news video it looks like your rear left saddlebag was clearly jammed in your rear sprocket.

2011-08-21_151953.jpg

That would surely lock up the rear wheel and prevent the VSS from working. One of the worse things to happen on any motorcycle (or Spyder) is a total rear wheel lockup. Almost impossible to recover from especially at 75mph. Best of luck to you on a speedy recovery.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So glad to read that you are here, sounds as if the outcome would have been far worse had you not been wearing proper gear. So many riders dress like they are on the way to the beach......Hopefully your story will remind all riders that you dress for the road not the ride..Wishing you a speedy recovery......

Spyder Garage

God was and may God be with you in the future.

Chris

Spyder Garage

My saddle bags were secured okay with two velcro straps and one regular belt strap under the seat.
    What you see is a 36 inch by 18 inch duffle-type bag sitting on my passenger seat secured with bungies. I'm guessing one of the bungies failed and flipped the bag to the side and back.. then got sucked in. They were secured really really tight. Maybe too tight or the end popped off, not sure.

I'm the example for others that hard saddle bags or passenger luggage with a sissy bar or bolt down appears to be a better choice. The setup did really well for hundreds of miles but I guess I chose the wrong type of support. Double Velcro , belt staps, bolts, etc would have been a better choice. Lesson learned for others.

Heading out to see the Spyder for myself.
    I posted a few pics of my helmet on flicker in the second post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    The gear limited your injuries but the helmet save your life.
    Note: if the victim is not breathing, take off the helmet and perform CPR. Otherwise, the helmet is only to be removed by a physician or EMT.
    Good luck with that! Bystanders actually can do more harm than good and it happens all the time. From moving the person (several times) to giving them something to drink. They mean well but leaving someone alone until expert help arrives is usually the best thing a bystander can do.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Bungees

As you have learned, bungees are notoriously unreliable, and give way with no warning. The best cargo straps I have found are the Helen2Wheels Super Pack Straps, the Rok Straps, and the Piggyback Anchor Straps.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Truly God is good. Between Him and the gear...
    Bet you're sore today. get well soon, and keep us posted.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Thank you for sharing this. I've been slipping on ATGATT recently and your post has made me stop and think.

Your vivid description brings home the fact that no matter how experienced we are, our control
    of the situation can vanish in a heartbeat.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the injuries arent going to be to long term, or serious. Well any injury is serious but you know what i mean . Glad to have you back with us . Heal quick spyder brother !

Spyder Garage

I'm glad you made it through such a harrowing experience and were able to share some excellent advice.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So glad to hear your not injured more than you posted, and that you were still around to post! Heal quickly- good thoughts are with you!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are OK. Every time I hear a story like this I think about waking up in the morning and think today is going to be a great day, and then it all changes. The next time you think about buying something you really want or doing something you want to do I think, do I really need it
    or do I really want it. Just remember none of us know whats in store for us today, so if it doesn't hurt you or your family financially, go for it because no where does it say you get to live to tomorrow. In the big picture your time here is not even a blink.
    Last edited by Nor-Cal Spyder; 08-21-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    The gear limited your injuries but the helmet save your life.
    Note: if the victim is not breathing, take off the helmet and perform CPR. Otherwise, the helmet is only to be removed by a physician or EMT.
    Just learned something, glad your ok, even though your helmet was removed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are one lucky man!! Glad to hear you are okay.

Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok....This is an excellent example of ATGATT.

Scotty, here is a sticker for your helmet...
    http://www.helmet-stickers.com/xcart...hp?mode=search

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Very glad you are OK, well OK considering the alternatives.

Get well soon, and hopefully the insurance works out to where you get a nice new and get back to happy rYding.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you're ok!!! Your Guardian Angel was definitely working overtime on that one!!!

I just put a couple of bungies in my frunk last week. Haven't had to use them for anything, and not sure I want to now!!!

Hope you heal quickly. Keep us informed!!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I wish this was printed in large letters on every helmet ever sold. Nothing is scarier than the thought of someone removing your helmet after an accident.
    we did ride with a couple in Maggie Valley that had stickers on the helmets that said not to remove helmet without medical advice...or something to that affect. I think I will look for some of those.

So very glad you came thru this amazingly well. Take care, Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12