Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bummed.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You got to wonder how long a Spyder owner would last on a Harley forum throwing stones like you do.

I know you had problems and sold your Spyder and that's great but we don't have to post a "no problems with my Spyder" post to prove anything to anyone. I have over 80,000 miles with very few problems and most of the ones I did have were self inflected. I got no problem jumping on either one of my Spyders today and heading cross country on them. They have never left me stranded. I'm sure there are plenty of Spyder owners that can say the same thing. Like someone posted before "motorcycles come with tool kits for a reason". I think there are a lot of Spyder owners that are new riders and never had anything that they might have to work on. This can be a little much for some folks and others just deal with it.

Do I wish there was absolutely no problems with any Spyders and that all parts were always in stock and all dealers treated their customers right and never kept their Spyder in the shop when they did have a problem longer than a week? you bet, but that's not the case. Your slant is negative because of your experience and I can understand that. What I can't understand is why you hangout here when you disliked your Spyder enough to get rid of it. When I get rid of something I move on to whatever the replacement was.

You know there are folks that have had bad marriages too but that doesn't make all marriages bad. Just because you had a bad Spyder, dealer and maybe BRP experience that doesn't mean everyone has or will at some point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

not all problems are the bike's fault...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    not all problems are the bike's fault...
    I agree Bob. There are errors and then there are Major problems. Case in point. You posted about your throttle body error. Some owners may have panicked or began raving about how bad BRP is. Instead, you are an informed owner, stayed calm and looked up the error. Throttle body. A known issue and you will have it fixed. No big deal in my opinion and I think in your opinion too. But to some owners that would have been a major problem.

I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes the "severity" of the problem is relative to the owner. Now on the other hand there are undoubtedly some big problems, but these are machines and when used, machines will have some issues. I can't honestly say whether or not we have more or less problems than Harleys or BMWs.

What I can attest to is that I have had 7000 problem free miles. Only one code ever and that was my fault due to draining the voltage on the battery when I tested my LED installs over a long period of time without running the RT. I charged the battery and no issues since. So is that BRPs fault or mine? I say it is mine. Small issue resolved quickly and then happy rYding. I just went on a 1500 mile round trip and never worried once that my RT would lay down.

I don't believe I am an exception to the norm. I think that somehow there is this perception that "if you haven't had problems you will" well that may be true but then a small problem becomes magnified sometimes because misery loves company as the say.

I believe that the norm is problem free rYding. Expensive? Yes, but primarily free of major problems.

I would have to see hard empirical data to convince me otherwise.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 08-31-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I agree Bob. There are errors and then there are Major problems. Case in point. You posted about your throttle body error. Some owners may have panicked or began raving about how bad BRP is. Instead, you are an informed owner, stayed calm and looked up the error. Throttle body. A known issue and you will have it fixed. No big deal in my opinion and I think in your opinion too. But to some owners that would have been a major problem.

I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes the "severity" of the problem is relative to the owner. Now on the other hand there are undoubtedly some big problems, but these are machines and when used, machines will have some issues. I can't honestly say whether or not we have more or less problems than Harleys or BMWs.

What I can attest to is that I have had 7000 problem free miles. Only one code ever and that was my fault due to draining the voltage on the battery when I tested my LED installs over a long period of time without running the RT. I charged the battery and no issues since. So is that BRPs fault or mine? I say it is mine. Small issue resolved quickly and then happy rYding. I just went on a 1500 mile round trip and never worried once that my RT would lay down.

I don't believe I am an exception to the norm. I think that somehow there is this perception that "if you haven't had problems you will" well that may be true but then a small problem becomes magnified sometimes because misery loves company as the say.

I believe that the norm is problem free rYding. Expensive? Yes, but primarily free of major problems.

I would have to see hard empirical data to convince me otherwise.

Spyder Garage

I've been riding Harley Davidson since I was 16 and I'm 61 now. I bought a pair of spyders in may an RT-S for me And RS-S for Terri. Other than normal bike issues we've not had any problem. Very satisfied and really enjoying them I've done 2 long rides and had a great time.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SteveMac;368018]I agree Bob. There are errors and then there are Major problems...
    I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes the "severity" of the problem is relative to the owner. QUOTE]
    Very well put Steve!
    I always try to maintain at least a reasonable attitude. I had a friend that I used to ride ATVs with. He used to say, "It's just something mechanical." He meant that somebody managed to put it together, so he figured that he could take it apart if the need arose... While I lack his aptitude, I try to believe that pretty near anything can be fixed; all it takes is a bit of patience, perserverence and pushiness!

Spyder Garage

This is the nature of any forum. I run a forum as well, and 75% of posts are posts are people have issues with the item, and are looking for support and help from other members. If you gauge the reliability of anything based on a forum, then you need to also invest all your money in what sites on the internet say, because you’re not looking at the big picture. Go to a Honda or Toyota (generally considered to be the most reliable cars on the road, or insert WHATEVER YOU feel is the most reliable vehicle) forum and just look at the complaints. If you were interested in ANY item and went to a forum dedicated to that product, you would NEVER buy anything!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I just wonder what the reaction would be if everyone who has NOT had any problems started threads on this forum expressing their pleasure and trust of their spyder.

Chris
    Hey, I KNOW that guy, the one without problems!!! He goes about with the biggest smile I've ever seen on a face!!!

The darndest thing is, he has wings on his back.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The occasional unhappy member posting because their dealer delivered one chocolate on their pillow in the customer waiting area instead of two and the service took 11 minutes longer than was expected.
    I'm still in touch with my BeeEmm dealer, over the years I've paid for the east wing of his house in servicing charges and due to that we've sorta become friends. He'll get a smile out of the above, as I did.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Yes sir no one is trying to minimize your problems I think we all can sympathize. We just want you to have hope because we know when you get thing lined out you'll enjoy that spyder.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

x2!

Spyder Garage

Got the Spyder back the other day and all it was was a bad battery. They ran checks on everything and there seems to be nothing electrical on the Spyder that could have drained it. Battery wouldn't charge so it ended up being a "bad battery". Maybe sat too long or something before being installed in the Spyder, who knows. But with the new battery installed the Spyder runs better than it did before when I first bought it. Seems like there's more power (HP). I'm loving it. I just bought a house and unfortunately the A/C died and had a new unit installed today (see, even homes can fail on ya!). I was suppose to hit the road today for Ohio, but will probably leave Tuesday now because it is a Holiday weekend and I want to avoid Holiday traffic and want to hit all the great BBQ's happening with friends and family!
    I'm excited for the trip and hope to see some other Spyders out there somewhere. I'll be in Marion, Ohio (just north of Columbus) for about 3 weeks, maybe other Spyders in the area will be up for a ryde or two, or three, or four..........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azrn8285 View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear that your spyder battery messed up. Glad to hear it stayed in the parking lot and didn't turn up missing. It is Tucson after all. I took mine in for the 600 mile check up and they lost my key the day before the monsoon so I had to wait to see if they found it. Now I will have to have a new set of keys since they couldn't find it. Hey we Tucsonans need to do a meet up. I am free in the eves and on weekends. How long are you going to be gone? How about one when you get back if you are leaving soon? Have a great trip!
    That's a bummer they lost your key! I guess they found it!!! (I Hope). Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, was so caught up with the move into the new house and getting out of the apartment and cleaning / fixing it up so I could get my deposit! Then trying to unpack as much as I could before the trip. With my a/c going out and the Spyder in the shop, the trip has been delayed a few days. When I get back we can work on those lights if you want and go ryding! Have you been out on the freeway yet? Take the frontage road? I'll let ya know when I'm back! Happy ryding!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that your future's looking so bright that you've got to wear shades!