Spyder Garage

Default Just Wondering Outloud

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Spyder would benefit from a 6th gear. Just a thought, no complaint. 60mph and @ 4400 rpm seems high. 1st expierence with Rotax engine.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, biblical history. Evoluzione had a 6 speed kit, got rid of reverse. There were some larger front pulleys available, too. It's all kinda gone away. I have finally stopped trying to find 6th, the rpm's are about 1k higher than most sport V-twins. I was always use to 4500 @ 75.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe me with a 6 gear in the Spyder unless your going over 65/70 you'll never use 6Th.
    And if you do every time you want to pick up a little speed you'll be dropping it down to 5Th.
    Its not like my Tri Glide where at 65/70 in 6Th it's only turning 22 hundred rpms, And no down shifting necessary to pick up speed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Different animal... Try spinning that big twin to 9000 rpm or so and see what happens!
    You won't see another gear on top until they re-work the cases to make more room...$$$$$$$
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Different animal... Try spinning that big twin to 9000 rpm or so and see what happens!
    Why would you rev it to 9k, Its like me saying try starting your Spyder out in 5Th at 1500 rpm [ and see what happens.]

Spyder Garage

The Spyder engine doesn't even come alive until five grand. Let it spin! That's what it was built for.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I thought the spyder was originally designed with 6 forward gears and BRP decided to dump the 6th and make a reverse instead.

Spyder Garage

Default That's my understanding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    I thought the spyder was originally designed with 6 forward gears and BRP decided to dump the 6th and make a reverse instead.
    That's my understanding as well.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    The Spyder was not designed this way, the engine/tranny was designed for the Aprilia that way. In the Aprilia form, the engine has a narrower power band, and needs the closer gear spacing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I love the manual transmission, but would have loved a CVT SE5. I love the feel of CVT.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The Spyder was not designed this way, the engine/tranny was designed for the Aprilia that way. In the Aprilia form, the engine has a narrower power band, and needs the closer gear spacing.
    I Might be wrong? but that engine was used in some of their [BRP] snowmobiles, Then adapted for the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to disagree with most of you on this one I have 2 rs spyders and have the 30t on one of them the bike will very easily pull the extra gearing and dosnt cause you to downshift to pull a hill in fact in a drag race between the 2 bike almost no diff crusing at highway speeds big dif the higher gearing makes for a much more relaxed ride and less strained feel the spyder may not have the low end of a hog but it still is a v twin and does very well it will pull high gear down to some pretty low speeds 35 or so and pull back up the rs is 200 lbs less than an rt but there is plenty of power for higher gearing the fewer rpms make a big diff in what comes thru to the body yes 6 th gear would be nice or just spread out the 5 we have. My bet is the lawyers didn't want any higher
    gearing to limiting the top speed
    Last edited by r1100rider; 08-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Why would you rev it to 9k, Its like me saying try starting your Spyder out in 5Th at 1500 rpm [ and see what happens.]
    Okay. I can speak from experience on this. If you try to take off in 5th gear you will stall out each time after moving about 3 feet. Was worried for a moment that Orbit was broken down on me until I noticed what gear I had it in.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

LOL
    Most of us with the SM5 have been there. Kinda embarrassing. But when I have swivel head coming to a stop and I am enjoying the scenery, I have done this also. Immediately begins a frantic pumping of the left foot to get it into first before anyone behind me realizes it. Thankfully I haven't stalled completely very often. And never on a group rYde (praise the Lord)!!!!! The MoGang would never let me live that down. Merciless they are . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Okay. I can speak from experience on this. If you try to take off in 5th gear you will stall out each time after moving about 3 feet. Was worried for a moment that Orbit was broken down on me until I noticed what gear I had it in.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 08-17-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I Might be wrong? but that engine was used in some of their [BRP] snowmobiles, Then adapted for the Spyder.
    Nope! Rotax has built 4 stroke Vee-twins for some Ski doo models, and have a bunch of them in the ATV/UTV lineup, but they are completely different animals...
    The closest to what we're using is in the Commander 1000: 85 horsepower one litre Vee-twin hooked up to a CVT tranny...
    There's no doubt that all of the four stroke technology builds upon each previous effort though.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"boborgera
    Believe me with a 6 gear in the Spyder unless your going over 65/70 you'll never use 6Th.
    And if you do every time you want to pick up a little speed you'll be dropping it down to 5Th.
    Its not like my Tri Glide where at 65/70 in 6Th it's only turning 22 hundred rpms, And no down shifting necessary to pick up speed. "

Way different engines. The Tri-Glide has 69% more displacement, 30% more torque, and 60% more weight, giving 18% less torque/pound. (H-D doesn't publish HP figures.) Horsepower is for show, but torque makes it go. The H-D does have a much flatter/broader torque curve with >70 ft*lb @ 2,000 rpm, so it will pull much better at low rpm. The Rotax is a water cooled, high performance motor, the H-D is not. As the professor stated, let it rev 'cuz you don't have to worry about overheating.

I would use 6th gear on my GS on flatter ground just like my Ultra.

As a fine point, the Tri-Glide is more like 2800 rpm @ 70 mph.

GS SE5 H-D
    displacement 60.9 103 69%
    torque 76.7 100 30%
    rpm 6250 3250
    hp 106 na na
    rpm 8500 na na
    weight, running order 745 1191 60%
    torque/lb 0.103 0.084 -18%
    hp/lb 0.142 na na
    rpm @ 70 mph 5091 2800

pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Red line on that Harley is 5,500 red line on the Spyder 9,000
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Rotax engine is also dual overhead cams without pushrod mass/inertia to cause valve float.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I have to disagree with most of you on this one I have 2 rs spyders and have the 30t on one of them the bike will very easily pull the extra gearing and dosnt cause you to downshift to pull a hill in fact in a drag race between the 2 bike almost no diff crusing at highway speeds big dif the higher gearing makes for a much more relaxed ride and less strained feel the spyder may not have the low end of a hog but it still is a v twin and does very well it will pull high gear down to some pretty low speeds 35 or so and pull back up the rs is 200 lbs less than an rt but there is plenty of power for higher gearing the fewer rpms make a big diff in what comes thru to the body yes 6 th gear would be nice or just spread out the 5 we have. My bet is the lawyers didn't want any higher
    gearing to limiting the top speed
    I have been saying this for quite a while. I also have the 30 teeth sprocket on the front and as you said about going to a lower speed in 5th gear and the will pull out with no problem. It does not bog down and has enough power to pull to a higher speed. But I still think it is still geared to low for my liking. A neighbor of mine who is a lot younger than I am said you old folks don't like the high reving motors. He is right.