Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got stung

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I got stung

We were riding on the 3 Great Lakes ride last Friday going about 45 - 55 mph I was a little warm so I opened my face shield about 1 - 1 1/2" to get a little air flowing when something hit me hard in the cheek. I didn't know what it was or if it was stuck in my helmet or not so I kept riding. About 2 miles later it stung me hard. I pulled over to the shoulder and as I was trying to raise the chin bar it stung me a few more times just for good measure. For a minute I wondered if someone had thrown a lit cigarette. I pulled my helmet off and I couldn't find the bee/hornet until I was ready to put the helmet back on and I spotted it on the bottom of the chin guard. I flicked it off and my husband squashed it with his front tire. Thankfully I didn't have an allergic reaction as we were between nowhere and the middle of nowhere!

Spyder Garage

We carry a Sting Eze Dauber Pen. Used it once when a bee got me right between the fingers. I didn't swell, only the pain.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Bee stings will wake you up in a hurry.

Spyder Garage

I learned a big lesson about that in the mid 70's.

Was driving some farm country roads in Ohio. Hot day, had my jacket unbuttoned down about 3 buttons.

Suddenly, a whole swarm of bees flew across the road. I got several down my tee-shirt. Went right to the side of the road and started beating on my chest to kill the bees.

Received several stings--but fortunately I am not allergic so, other than the pain of the moment--I survived.

I have ridden with face mask down, gloves, long pants, boots, and my collars buttoned up ever since. I have been smacked hard by bugs and small rocks--but no further damage.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yep, know what your talking about.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

That just brought back a not so fond memory. This is the main reason I will never ride with shorts. A couple years ago my brother and I was riding along having a great time when I looked back in my mirror to see my bro make a sudden stop. He quickly jumped off, dropped his drawers and started stomping the ground. By the time I got turned around and stopped he had his shorts back on. I asked what happened and he said a bee flew up his shorts and stung him. Good thing there wasn't any traffic on the road otherwise he could have gotten arrested for indecent exposure.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default Bee Stings

A long time ago (in a Galaxy far away) I was 14 and my brother was 17. He had just purchased a Moped to use going to work. He would not let me ride it (I wished evil thoughts on him for this).
    On his way home from work a Bee flew up his nose and stung him. He lost control of the Moped, ran up over the curb and into some bushes. When he told me about this experience, I was secretely
    glad that this had happened because he wouldn't let me ride it.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The only exposed skin when I ride is the small gap at the top of my collar where the zipper stops.
    A couple weeks ago, a bee decided to dive bomb that exact spot, which just happens to be my adams apple. It got me right there! Luckily I had an antihistamine and took it, with no horrible reactions, but man did that hurt!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I always get a chuckle when I see some "ape" hanging off of his eyeball high, ape-hanger bars... without a helmet! I wonder what they'd do if they hit a swarm of uglies???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I caught a wasp in my jacket once, stitched me from left waist to right shoulder before I could get a hand on it. But the worst I can remember is a huge June bug in the adam's apple at about 80, couldn't talk or breathe for 5 minutes, ended up in a ditch turning blue.

john

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=I wonder what they'd do if they hit a swarm of uglies??
    ? [/QUOTE]

They'll take it like a real man,

They don't ride no stinkin [sissy] Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Had a sparrow hit me in the face one time years ago. Had on sun glasses doing about 65 mph. Nearly knocked me off the bike and knocked me silly. Had fathers and guts all over my face and in my mouth. Took me at least 10 minutes to get my mind back together. Hurt for a few days.

Spyder Garage

Went through a swarm of bees but for some reason only go 4 stings. The real problem was that all of them were in the knuckle area of my right hand (no gloves). I was about 700 miles from home. My right hand swelled up like a baloon and itched like crazy all the way home. It was hard to grip the handlbar.

I'd be running along and my Honda 750 would start to lose power. The first time I was really worried that something was wrong with my bike. But it turned out that the throttle was just slipping a little at a time in my hand.

How can your hand hurt and itch so bad and yet not have enough feeling to know that the throttle is slipping?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I also know that feeling well! While riding in Florida this past April I was wearing a pair of 3/4 length pants (capri's as are called by some) because it was exceptionally hot. Turns out that was a bad decision. We were traveling on a road with a speed limit of 55 when all of a sudden I felt a terrible pain in my leg. I had a wasp stuck up

inside the leg of the pants and it couldn't get out. I grabbed my leg and squeezed the pants as hard as I could trying to squash the hornet. There was no place to pull over

as we were about to go over a bridge. It continued to sting and stung me 8 times!!! My whole leg was swollen. Not a lot of fun. For the rest of the

way home (about 3 miles) I had my left hand on the steering and my right hand squeezing the pain on my leg trying to make darn sure that wasp was dead. Not real safe

either. I learned my lesson the hard way. I have worn full length pants since then!

Spyder Garage

Why Spyders are Great # 378:

If a wasp goes down your back, you don't have to remember to put the kickstand down before doing the shuck-your-jacket dance.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default The other 377 reasons

I'd love to hear (or read) the other 377 reasons why Spyders are great!!!! Got some two wheeled buddies that give me crap on a regular basis!!!

Thanks in advance..

Spyder Garage

Default Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Why Spyders are Great # 378:

If a wasp goes down your back, you don't have to remember to put the kickstand down before doing the shuck-your-jacket dance.
    Yes, let's not forget about that kickstand! LOL

I'd love to tell the story about the killer wasp that got 3 of us and chased me up and down an alley wearing my flip-flops but the story is too too long.

I did get stung 2 weeks ago. Never saw it but it flew into my shirt and stung me in the back. I killed it while riding and kept on going but it sure did hurt.

On another note, I was out riding in the city and a bird flying over crapped and it came down and hit me between my sunglasses and forehead and getting into my eye. Let me tell you, it burned like, "Hell Fire!!!!" No water to rinse it out etc. Just horrible.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I suppose you ride or ryde long enough that getting stung is fairly likely to happen. It's my absolute worst fear. I have an extreme paranoia about stinging instects. I can't explain it. It's inexplixable since I have been stung and survived. So, I don't understand my extreme fear.

I repeat over and over to myself the mantra of "drive the vehicle". Disaster can be falling all around you, but your number 1 focus should be driving the vehicle. Bad things happen when you forget to control the vehicle!!!

I wear a "buff" around my neck and under my helmet hoping to cover every bit of possible exposed skin around my face. I truly am very fearful of being stung. I hope I DO remember to keep ryind the Spyder until I'm fully stopped. The thought of a bee in my helmet just about sends chills all through me. I hope and hope and hope I am lucky and it does not ever happen. But, not likely, huh??

No, I thought not!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Been there, done that, not fun! I will add one word of caution. If you get stung while riding, pull over and wait 10-20 minutes to gauge your reaction...especially if you have substantial immediate swelling. Anaphalactic reactions can take a few minutes to kick in, and can incapacitate you quickly or render you unconscious when they do begin. That is deadly with a vehicle. If you have excessive swelling, light-headedness, or breathing difficulties, call 911 immediately and seek medical attention. Also, do not assume that since you have been stung before without incident, that this one will be the same. Stings differ, depending on whether they are wasp or bee, and even within those groups by species. Make sure you are going to be OK before proceeding.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to have zippered earflaps on my 3/4 helmet. Then, just as I was entering a tunnel in the Fraser canyon, a bee got wedged into my ear and couldn't escape due to the flap. There was traffic in the tunnel and I had to listen to him buzzing furiously until I could get clear of the tunnel and stopped. Got the helmet off without getting stung, but I've unzipped the earflaps and haven't worn them since.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all posters from a relative novice ryder. I am VERY allergic to wasp stings. I have an eppi pen (sp?) at the house, no help on the road of course. But I'm going to create an emergency pack with as many in-case-of items and keep it handy on Darth.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Thanks to all posters from a relative novice ryder. I am VERY allergic to wasp stings. I have an eppi pen (sp?) at the house, no help on the road of course. But I'm going to create an emergency pack with as many in-case-of items and keep it handy on Darth...
    That EpiPen isn't going to do you any good at home. If you're allergic you should keep it with you along with several Benadryl tablets. Do as Scotty said - stop the bike - and wait for a while to see if you will have a reaction. Sometime it can happen immediately and suddenly, other times it can take a while. If you have a mild reaction the Benadryl can help, especialy with localized swelling. If you feel yourself going into shock or if you feel swelling in your throat get that EpiPen out fast and use it and call 911.

I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm extremely allergic to bees and wasps and have been for over 40 years, despite regular allergy injections.
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    That just brought back a not so fond memory. This is the main reason I will never ride with shorts. A couple years ago my brother and I was riding along having a great time when I looked back in my mirror to see my bro make a sudden stop. He quickly jumped off, dropped his drawers and started stomping the ground. By the time I got turned around and stopped he had his shorts back on. I asked what happened and he said a bee flew up his shorts and stung him. Good thing there wasn't any traffic on the road otherwise he could have gotten arrested for indecent exposure.
    When I lived in Miami I had fire ants run up my pants I was stripping my clothes off as I was running back to my house. I was glad it was dark out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    A long time ago (in a Galaxy far away) I was 14 and my brother was 17. He had just purchased a Moped to use going to work. He would not let me ride it (I wished evil thoughts on him for this).On his way home from work a Bee flew up his nose and stung him. He lost control of the Moped, ran up over the curb and into some bushes. When he told me about this experience, I was secretely glad that this had happened because he wouldn't let me ride it.
    I hope you never wish evil thoughts on me
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    Had a sparrow hit me in the face one time years ago. Had on sun glasses doing about 65 mph. Nearly knocked me off the bike and knocked me silly. Had fathers and guts all over my face and in my mouth. Took me at least 10 minutes to get my mind back together. Hurt for a few days.
    I hate birds and a big fear of mine is getting hit by one on the Spyder. The feathers andf guts all over part gives me chills just reading about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Went through a swarm of bees but for some reason only go 4 stings. The real problem was that all of them were in the knuckle area of my right hand (no gloves). I was about 700 miles from home. My right hand swelled up like a baloon and itched like crazy all the way home. It was hard to grip the handlbar.I'd be running along and my Honda 750 would start to lose power. The first time I was really worried that something was wrong with my bike. But it turned out that the throttle was just slipping a little at a time in my hand.How can your hand hurt and itch so bad and yet not have enough feeling to know that the throttle is slipping?
    When I got stung (on my face) my feet started itching then after about 15 minutes of that my hands started to itch.
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    Yes, let's not forget about that kickstand! LOLI'd love to tell the story about the killer wasp that got 3 of us and chased me up and down an alley wearing my flip-flops but the story is too too long. I did get stung 2 weeks ago. Never saw it but it flew into my shirt and stung me in the back. I killed it while riding and kept on going but it sure did hurt.On another note, I was out riding in the city and a bird flying over crapped and it came down and hit me between my sunglasses and forehead and getting into my eye. Let me tell you, it burned like, "Hell Fire!!!!" No water to rinse it out etc. Just horrible.
    Ick!
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    That EpiPen isn't going to do you any good at home. If you're allergic you should keep it with you along with several Benadryl tablets. Do as Scotty said - stop the bike - and wait for a while to see if you will have a reaction. Sometime it can happen immediately and suddenly, other times it can take a while. If you have a mild reaction the Benadryl can help, especialy with localized swelling. If you feel yourself going into shock or if you feel swelling in your throat get that EpiPen out fast and use it and call 911.I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm extremely allergic to bees and wasps and have been for over 40 years, despite regular allergy injections.
    I think I will get some Benadryl tablets and keep them on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I would guess that anybody that has logged many miles of riding has been stung by a bee. But multiple stings, now that's a different story.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    That EpiPen isn't going to do you any good at home. If you're allergic you should keep it with you along with several Benadryl tablets. Do as Scotty said - stop the bike - and wait for a while to see if you will have a reaction. Sometime it can happen immediately and suddenly, other times it can take a while. If you have a mild reaction the Benadryl can help, especialy with localized swelling. If you feel yourself going into shock or if you feel swelling in your throat get that EpiPen out fast and use it and call 911.

I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm extremely allergic to bees and wasps and have been for over 40 years, despite regular allergy injections.
    I agree. Anaphylaxis can occur within seconds or over a few minutes depending on tolerance and amount of venom. We had to respond to an MVA one time. The driver had been stung several times and was trying to get to the hospital. Unfortunately he passed out and crashed. His wife was with him and told us what happened and we administered epinephrin.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards