Spyder Garage

Default Static on AM Radio

I have a 2011 RTS/SE5. The FM works fine, but the AM gets lots of static as soon as I start to drive the bike. No static if the engine is running but the bike is not moving. I took it to the dealer today and they called BRP. BRP told them it's just the way the AM works sometimes. I won't believe that. Has anyone else had a problem with the AM part of the stereo ?
    Gordon

Spyder Garage

You need a ground loop isolator in the power supply line and the antenna line to filter the noise on AM on my RS. Follow one of those cars with big shinny wheels and iddy biddy tires with the boom boom boom rattling their trunk lids to their car stereo installer, ask them if they can clean it up,, caution they will giggle at the fact you drive something that cool and still listen to AM But its worth the trip I had to go to 2 installers the first one I think is still to this day laughing at me, the second could tell I had a sense of humor though my patience was running low, and fixed me right up it was like $45 and AM is good know.

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Jim is propably right. The ground loop isolation on the RT audio system may be substandard. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to modify readily...although it probably could be done with enough body panels removed. The Spyder radios are weak...weaker than any of my automobiles. No ground plane for the antenna, I suppose. Anyway, the farther your AM station, the more likely the static...especially with a weak antenna system. We are also in a period of high solar flare activity, which adversely affects radio signals and causes noise.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!