Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issue Problem Solved?

Is anyone aware of a Service Bulletin for the excessive heat on the Spyder?

On another forum there is a posting today (8/10/2011) indicating BRP is providing some sort of "repair/parts" to fix this issue. Or is that just wishful thinking on their part?

I already have the Spyderpops Catalytic Converter shields and air dam but still get a lot of excessive heat coming up on my 2011 LT. Would love to know BRP has a solution.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT LTD and I have SpyderPops Cat Shields and LaBlock installed. With both belly pans the heat reduction is much better. However, my right foot still gets pretty toasty when using my Kewlmetal highway pegs. I also have a ISCI FanCan but haven't installed it yet. It's not a simple install on this model. I don't want to bend or cut anything to make it fit. So when I have some time to take the right side apart I will install the FanCan. Hopefully that will be the final fix.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    Is anyone aware of a Service Bulletin for the excessive heat on the Spyder?

On another forum there is a posting today (8/10/2011) indicating BRP is providing some sort of "repair/parts" to fix this issue. Or is that just wishful thinking on their part?

I already have the Spyderpops Catalytic Converter shields and air dam but still get a lot of excessive heat coming up on my 2011 LT. Would love to know BRP has a solution.
    I have not heard of any service bulletin. When we complained to Can Am about this problem on my wife's '10 RT last year we did get a call back from Carlo. He was very polite but basically said... 'live with it'. On the 2010 RT we have added the Vertika ram air vents, the cat heat shields, the Spyderpops vent blocker (remember to remove the pan on the right side if you install this) and Baker air wings. The best solution appears to be the air wings although we are having the Y gaskets on the right side checked when it goes in for service next week.

I have a 2011 RT that doesn't appear to run as hot as my wife's does. I have an Avon rubberized nylon deflector installed that moves the hot air out of the radiator outlet farther into the air stream away from the bike. That seems to work for me.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

After installing Spiderpop's blocker on the top exhaust port, I still didn't like the heat out of the lower port hole so I fashioned a cover for it out of soft aluminum flashing , painted it black, and that made a world of diff. Also, lots of heat escapes around the top blocker so I glued some rubber around the edges wherever I detected the offensive flow which further sealed off the heat. I now ride comfortable with foot proped on the air wing. One other thing I did which may not be necessary but I did it anyway, is dremeled out a larger opening in that underneath pan to allow the heat to escape downward more easily. So far has worked well at 100F.

Spyder Garage

I tryed to remove the bottom pan but it didn't want to come off. I took the 2 bolts out of the center support, are there any others ? Is it around something else that has to come off first ? Help me get this pan off please ? Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I tryed to remove the bottom pan but it didn't want to come off. I took the 2 bolts out of the center support, are there any others ? Is it around something else that has to come off first ? Help me get this pan off please ? Rick
    There is another bolt, and a speednut, beneath the lower wind deflector.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty !

Spyder Garage

Use a screwdriver to put outward presure behind the 3rd bolt head as you using your racket to remove the bolt. This takes some time as this bolts is longer than the other two bolts (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches long). This procedure worked for me with not problems.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Try wrapping the header pipes with pipe wrap. You can get it from any speed shop. It helps reduce the radiant heat coming from the pipes and allows the pipe to do what they are suppose to, push exhaust heat out the tail pipe. It does reduce the under panel heat. It takes time to do about 2-3 hours and it's teadious, but it's worth it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Florida spyder riders

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content.

Spyder Garage

Default Try this...

Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default heat problem

Spyder Garage

Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage