Thread: Left leg heat

Spyder Garage

Default Left leg heat

i have seen several posts about people getting heat on their right leg/foot but on my Spyder i ALWAYS get high heat on my left leg first.
    could this just be a blown Y gasket (at less than 1500 miles when i first noticed it)?
    since i first noticed the heat on my left leg i am now getting more heat on my right leg/foot (and am over 2200 miles now).

could both of these be blown/deteriorating Y gaskets?

if so will i need the model # for the Goldwing gaskets to replace them with, or should my dealer already know? (and if i need the part number please let me know what it is since i cannot remember where/when i last posted anything about gaskets a few months ago).

if heat on the left leg is not/ coud not be from blown gasket then does anyone have any ideas?

thanks all!
    KIP
    2011 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Doing a search on goldwing and then scrolling down to find a thread related to exhaust gaskets yielded this post....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post355459

Unless your dealer is also a Honda dealer, I doubt they would know anything about or recommend replacing the stock gaskets with anything but stock gaskets.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

There are exhaust pipes on both sides. Some heat from these is inevitable.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

It's rare that the left Y gasket go,s first, Also not only heat but you should be getting extra exhaust noise coming from them if the gaskets are bad

If they are bad ,they're covered under warranty. Up to 18,600 miles. .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've also noticed my left foot gets hotter than the right. Would the shields from Spyderpops help this?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The shield goes on the right side. Tomorrow I will start the air management mod from Spyderpops. Also bought the Y-gasket from Honda. I will also perform heat wrap from headers to muffler. Hope it only takes the day. Alan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I installed the missing air dam and the air management kit. I was referring to the catalytic converter shield set - spy110.

Spyder Garage

I am also feeling too much heat on the left side. I have the missing air dam, air mgm't system and heat shield. I also changed the pipe gaskets with the gold wing ones (both sides). I have also wrapped the pipes but not where there are 2 pipes at the bottom on the left side. That is my next approach to the problem. I am also trying to figure out a way to get fresh air to come up onto my leg. There is no air coming through where the oil reservoir is. I was wondering if the Baker air wings would help but I want air down at the feet.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Spyder Garage

Ceramic coating or wrapping the pipes should help with heat escaping (and at the same time it helps retain exhaust heat which makes it move more quickly out the tail which aids in scavenging = more power)

As much as I like Spyderpop's innovations, I think the money would be better spent on wrap or coating first... then see if it's still a problem and add heat deflectors.

Just my opinion tho
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

I have to ask... for those feeling too much heat on the left side...

What are you wearing while riding?
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I wear speedos. And flip flops.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    I wear speedos. And flip flops.
    Thats just wrong...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If I lived in Nevada thats what I would wear. My legs ok, its just my left foot with tenny runners.

Spyder Garage

when i finish mowing the lawn and am drenched i sometimes take a quick spin of about 4-5 miles to get cooled off FAST.
    other than that i always wear (at the least) shoes that cover ankles, jeans, gloves and helmet.
    most times i also wear and armored jacket or a leather jacket (when i scoot from work to get lunch - a 1 mile ride- i sometimes skip the jacket, again to dry off sweat).

when wearing shorts i can fully understand the legs getting hot but when you are wearing jeans and going 45 mph and it feels lkike you are literally cooking your leg leg from knee to ankle, it is a bit much. i do get a fair amount of heat form the right side, but it is never as hot.

oh, and i forgot to mention when wearing jeans and boots/hightops i also always wear tall socks that go at least 1/2way shin.
    KIP
    2011 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Thats just wrong...
    I wear a male thong with sandals.

Spyder Garage

My left leg heat is mostly at my heal, it get's hard to tolerate sometimes. And I'm wearing ryding boots and jeans.

Spyder Garage

I'm hoping Spyderpops see's this thread and makes up something for the left side heat problem. I have a 2010 RS SE5 and from reading threads before I got it I ordered all the Spyderpop stuff for the right side. I don't recall seeing any complaints about the left side. Now my right foot/leg is fine but my left leg feels like a frikkin a laser beam is drilling into my shin. I've replaced Y gaskets and such to no avail. It gets so hot I'm curious as to how much of a difference wrap/coatings make.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm surprised no one has asked you this question yet...You are facing forward when you are riding aren't you?....Sorry,but it if wasn't me it would have been someone else...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I usually ride backwards so the the wind doesn't blow in my eyes. My hat stays on better too.

Spyder Garage

Wait.The 2 wheels go in the front? The whole reverse trike thing threw me.

Spyder Garage

I went from tennies to boots because of heat. I know longer have a problem. 2011 RS

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics