Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are You Serious!!??

OK, I know there are a few threads for this, but right now too tired to look. Yesterday, while getting gas, a couple of guys drove around to get in front of the RT and asked, "Is that a Volkswagen or a motorcycle?" So I just kept it simple and said, "Motorcycle".
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    OK, I know there are a few threads for this, but right now too tired to look. Yesterday, while getting gas, a couple of guys drove around to get in front of the RT and asked, "Is that a Volkswagen or a motorcycle?" So I just kept it simple and said, "Motorcycle".
    Should have said a trike. It would really have confused them.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Going To Be Fun

My first time getting gas a Guy comes up to me and says. "I bet you wish you could take it on the highway"

Think I need to get some funny answers ready.

Spyder Garage

Default serious

when people ask that stupid question. I tell them its a TRYCYCLE..then see the look you get.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

shoulda seen the look on the woman's face when I told her I got it at the scooter store.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TOPDOGJIM View Post
    My first time getting gas a Guy comes up to me and says. "I bet you wish you could take it on the highway"
    Think I need to get some funny answers ready.

When i got asked that highway question, I tell them Look at the license plate it's registered in N J
    We can ride anywhere we want. We are Special,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What gets me is people are constantly coming up and asking me what I paid for it,usually tell them My check book has nothing to do with them ,One guy I told $52000 he walked away mumbling

Spyder Garage

I don't tell anyone exactly what I paid for my RT Limited but when someone asks I just tell them a new Spyder sells for $16K to $28K depending on the model and options you want and that the touring model starts at $21K. That usually satisfies their couriosity on cost.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmkipp View Post
    What gets me is people are constantly coming up and asking me what I paid for it,usually tell them My check book has nothing to do with them ,One guy I told $52000 he walked away mumbling
    I like that. I've been telling them they cost about a truck load of paper government money in $100 dollar bills but they are still cheap if you pay with real money, only about 15 kugerands.

Spyder Garage

I have always called a motorcycle--just my habit--since driving them since 1964.

I am guessing that the correct terminology is "reverse trike"--but the general public usually is not that attuned to particulars.

Trike, three-wheeler etc. would be some of the other terms.

Cost: I usually ask them--"what do you think it cost?" I have had between $6,000 to $60,000. It depends on my mood as to whether or not I fess up.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When people ask me what is that your riding, I just reply it's my streetdoo. Quite a few just shake their head with a nod and travel on.

Spyder Garage

When asked what it is- I am prone to say " What, you've never seen the Bat Cycle before?"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I look at it as people trying to be friendly. They may say something dumb, or somewhat offensive like "How much you pay for that?" but really they are intrigued and who knows, they may wind up as fellow owners. I'm a tall guy and all my life I have heard the same "How's the weather up there, Do you play basketball?" questions. I'm 65 and I got over it about 50 years ago. If people want to talk to me that's fine, nice even, so I try to be nice to them.

The one I have heard a lot recently about my "arrest me red" RT is "Boy I'd love to have one of those!"
    and I say "So what's stopping you?" That moves the burden of the conversation over to them and I get to chat a bit while I pay attention to pumping gas or whatever while they take a lap around the RT

I told the sales manager at 3a Motors to give me some of his cards so I can send him some customers. I bet I can get a bird dog fee out of him...$50?

Spyder Garage

I was filling with gas awhile back and a Harley rider approached me and asked what kind of mileage I got. I told him depends on speed and if I'm towng a trailer. 28-35 He said wow that's not very good. I told him I didn't buy it for gas mileage, just like I'm sure he didn't buy his Harley for performance. He just turned and walked away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    I look at it as people trying to be friendly. They may say something dumb, or somewhat offensive like "How much you pay for that?" but really they are intrigued and who knows, they may wind up as fellow owners. I'm a tall guy and all my life I have heard the same "How's the weather up there, Do you play basketball?" questions. I'm 65 and I got over it about 50 years ago. If people want to talk to me that's fine, nice even, so I try to be nice to them.
    I try to be nice. Like Y Rider, I just tell them the MSRP ranges from $21K to $28K, if they ask. I don't want to make enemies, I want to make more SpyderLovers!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I do the same as Y Rider and give them a price range. I figure they aren't trying to be rude, they just want to join our club.

Last week, a five year old boy broke away from his mother and ran up to us. After mom said OK I put him in the front seat. His smile was worth every ignorant remark I've heard.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

Great move. That sold that kid for life and he will probably remember if for some time; not to mention telling all his friend about it.

about the price range as well. I have had some come up to me and tell me how much I paid for my toy. That bugs me, but there is a conversation afterwards. I just chalk it up to people not being taught manners as children.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

When people ask how much I paid I tell them......1 million Beaver Pelts. Is that mean???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I try to be nice. Like Y Rider, I just tell them the MSRP ranges from $21K to $28K, if they ask. I don't want to make enemies, I want to make more SpyderLovers!

With Scotty....just sayin....

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And here's your sign...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How about when I stop for gas and pull off my helmet and someone in a loud voice answer IT"S A WOMAN driving this thing. This has happen to me a few times.

My other problem I have is hubby and friends get very tried of waiting on me while I answer all the questions about my . But I love to answer these questions and talk to the kids. the best thing is to have those little brochures that came in your welcome package to hand out. Need more brochures, Where can I get more?????

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    How about when I stop for gas and pull off my helmet and someone in a loud voice answer IT"S A WOMAN driving this thing. This has happen to me a few times.

My other problem I have is hubby and friends get very tried of waiting on me while I answer all the questions about my . But I love to answer these questions and talk to the kids. the best thing is to have those little brochures that came in your welcome package to hand out. Need more brochures, Where can I get more?????

I called BRP about that very thing, they had me send an e-mail request for more brochures to spyderteam@brp.com I have not heard from them since I sent the email last week so maybe they are sending me the brochures.

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default POW POW POWER WHEELS

Anyone else remember these commercials? Makes me giggle inside everytime someone asks a dumb question or tries to be funny. I just think about how everyone wanted a PowerWheel when they were younger we were just awesome enough to embrace our inner child and get the adult version.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What does it cost?

I rode my GS about 900 miles this past week. I was working outside Quincy, IL, got to have dinner with Y Rider and amy. I had no less than 6 people ask what I paid for it. One was while stopped at a light. I just say less than $20K and the RT less than a goldwing.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrock View Post
    When people ask how much I paid I tell them......1 million Beaver Pelts. Is that mean???
    Save a tree, Eat a beaver.