Thread: RPM Jump

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RPM Surge

Hi folks.

I have a small issue that I am not sure if I should be too concerned about. Here is the situation....I am pulling into my garage; 1st gear. I am just feathering the clutch, as the space I am pulling into is fairly tight and I dont care to bump into anything. During this process I am not using any throttle at all. Once I am in place and pull the clutch all the way in, the RPM's will increase close to 1000 RPM's, there is a noticable rev. Once the rev is gone, RPM's drop back to normal. Is this normal or something I should be really concerned about?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Questions; 08-06-2011 at 04:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Nancy's Spyder experienced this, especially in hot weather. Hers improved after the "engine performance" update that was performed in response to problems from the first steering recall update. My belief is that hers had something to do with the emissions system, but there could easily be other causes. If you are turning your steering close to the lock, the throttle cable could be hanging up or reaching its limits, then catching somewhere briefly when you turn back...momentarily speeding up the throttle. You could look under the bodywork for throttle cable bind. If this is a serious problem or concern, or happens elsewhere, you might want to ask the dealer about it, but a cause and solution may be hard to track down.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Nancy's Spyder experienced this, especially in hot weather. Hers improved after the "engine performance" update that was performed in response to problems from the first steering recall update. My belief is that hers had something to do with the emissions system, but there could easily be other causes. If you are turning your steering close to the lock, the throttle cable could be hanging up or reaching its limits, then catching somewhere briefly when you turn back...momentarily speeding up the throttle. You could look under the bodywork for throttle cable bind. If this is a serious problem or concern, or happens elsewhere, you might want to ask the dealer about it, but a cause and solution may be hard to track down.
    I am in Texas and it is a bit "warm". But even early in the mornings when its only around 80-85 it will still do it. When I pull into my garage its a straight shot almost. I am fairly close to the wall, but I barely have to turn the wheels to position the Spyder correctly. Only when I pull the clutch all the way in do the RPM's surge. I guess its nothing to be too concerned with since the bike itself isnt surging forward.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii808 View Post
    I am in Texas and it is a bit "warm". But even early in the mornings when its only around 80-85 it will still do it. When I pull into my garage its a straight shot almost. I am fairly close to the wall, but I barely have to turn the wheels to position the Spyder correctly. Only when I pull the clutch all the way in do the RPM's surge. I guess its nothing to be too concerned with since the bike itself isnt surging forward.
    If the problem seems most related to the use of the clutch, I would suspect a vacuum leak at the clutch assist solenoid. I'd have my dealer look at it and test bost the clutch assist system and the emissions valve function and vacuum leakage. These tests are in the shop manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!