Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Body update 2011-7

Have you had 2011-7 done and did it help performance or .........? I think it is just to allow the throttle body to work better. I am scheduled to get mine done next week, but have not had any problems to date.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Have you had 2011-7 done and did it help performance or .........? I think it is just to allow the throttle body to work better. I am scheduled to get mine done next week, but have not had any problems to date.

i had mine done yesterday @ J & J powersports in DE. I haven't noticed a difference in the ride.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Had mine done today. Rode home 100 miles and did not notice any difference.

Spyder Garage

This is not to allow the throttle to work better. Owners of 2011 RTs need to have this done without hesitation. The 2010 RTs had a problem with hot restarts. To address this, BRP programmed the ECM to hold the throttle body on the 2011s closed after shutting the Spyder down. Some of you have noted the high pitched whine after shutting the Spyder off. Unfortunately, this is causing some of the throttle positioners to fail. BRP has revised the programming, and has issued the update as part of Warranty Bulletin 2011-7. To prevent possible damage to your throttle body, and the possibility of the Spyder being rendered inoperable, you need to have this update done if you own a 2011 RT. If BUDS shows the throttle body may have been damaged already, you will need a new throttle body, too. Mine was replaced this week. The update should not affect how the throttle operates or how the Spyder performs. I noticed no difference on mine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Some of you have noted the high pitched whine after shutting the Spyder off. Unfortunately, this is causing some of the throttle positioners to fail. BRP has revised the programming, and has issued the update as part of Warranty Bulletin 2011-7.
    I have had the 2011-7 update done but I still hear a high pitched whine, quieter than before I think, but it's still there. This follows any switching on and off of the ignition whether or not the motor is run. It lasts a while but I haven't timed it, maybe 20 or 30 seconds or so.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    I have had the 2011-7 update done but I still hear a high pitched whine, quieter than before I think, but it's still there. This follows any switching on and off of the ignition whether or not the motor is run. It lasts a while but I haven't timed it, maybe 20 or 30 seconds or so.
    Yes, it still appears to perform the hot-restart prevention routine...it just does it a little differently.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Yes, it still appears to perform the hot-restart prevention routine...it just does it a little differently.
    I can't remember now where I heard this, it may have been on SpyderLovers or chatting to a mech at my dealer's place, but in simple terms (the kind I understand best ) after the 2011-7 fix the throttle bodies do not fully close but instead a small gap is left which apparently fixes the sticking problem.

Problem is, I don't know what the throttle body mechanism at the root of the throttle problem actually looks like, so it's impossible for me to imagine what the 2011-7 software adjustment does to the engine in a physical sense. It's a case where a diagram or photograph would useful to illustrate both the problem and the fix. In the absence of that there is only that whining noise on shut-down for me to fixate on and to wonder if it is quieter than it used to be, and if it is quieter what does that mean exactly? Is it as it should be, or not?

I'm thinking that the RT should come packaged with a complimentary set of BRP worry beads!

Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot restart

My 2010 RT has always been a problem restarting when hot. The tech guy told me the 2011 had that fixed, guess they are still working on it. It is annoying when it happens to my 2010 and anyone close must wonder what's wrong! No fix for the 2010's

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My parents 2011 RT-S went about 300 miles and then wouldn't run anymore. After having the Limp home mode cleared, it would run almost 80 miles and then go into limp home mode again. It was the throttle body assembly. After seeing that there was a TSB, I told them to call right the dealer right away. If this was a software originating problem, the new throttle body might be ruined (again) by the old software. This seems to be the case. They got the software update and now (though they should not notice any major difference) the new throttle body should be safe from harm.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks again, Scotty. I am taking BR1 to the dealer next Friday for -7 -8 and -9 if they have the parking brake parts. I have not experienced hot/hard starting and have never heard the "noise" after shutdown. I rode today and it was 101 when I got home...no noise other than the fan running a minute after shutdown...BR1 ran like a hose...

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Thanks again, Scotty. I am taking BR1 to the dealer next Friday for -7 -8 and -9 if they have the parking brake parts. I have not experienced hot/hard starting and have never heard the "noise" after shutdown. I rode today and it was 101 when I got home...no noise other than the fan running a minute after shutdown...BR1 ran like a hose...

The sound is hard for me to hear, too. I thought others were kidding, until I took the body panels off and heard mine for the first time. We have heard to many loud noises in our many decades, my friend. Our ears aren't what they used to be.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The sound is hard for me to hear, too. I thought others were kidding, until I took the body panels off and heard mine for the first time. We have heard to many loud noises in our many decades, my friend. Our ears aren't what they used to be.
    Oh, if the whine is that low, I would not hear it. I guess too many hours in a C-46 cargo plane during and after the Korean War. They were not pressurized and the only thing between me and the engines was a very thin piece of aluminum...ha ha

Oh, I know, Scotty. I will crank up my hearing aids and maybe I will hear it....maybe it is better that I don't hear it....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Oh, if the whine is that low, I would not hear it. I guess too many hours in a C-46 cargo plane during and after the Korean War. They were not pressurized and the only thing between me and the engines was a very thin piece of aluminum...ha ha

Oh, I know, Scotty. I will crank up my hearing aids and maybe I will hear it....maybe it is better that I don't hear it....

For me it was the open headers of the dragsters, working the starting line at the races, and too darned many loud bikes in my life. I flew sailplanes, so they were nice and quiet. At least we have better stories about how we lost our hearing than thise kids playiong that loud music.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Uh-oh ...

... mine was many hours in the RB-47 and the ECM position of B-52's and I can hear mine fine! Should I be really worried?

PS, Big Red 1, I thought of you yesterday as I rolled by the turnoff on I-35. Then, at a wedding today, someone told me about an Italian restaurant across from the Catholic church that has meals to die for))

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    ... mine was many hours in the RB-47 and the ECM position of B-52's and I can hear mine fine! Should I be really worried?

PS, Big Red 1, I thought of you yesterday as I rolled by the turnoff on I-35. Then, at a wedding today, someone told me about an Italian restaurant across from the Catholic church that has meals to die for))

thehawk
    Hawk, are you speaking of the Catholic church on main street Boerne? The Bristo is across the street. Great place....

My group, the Hill Country Road Riders, mostly retired amd many retired military went to the Fredericksburg Airport Cafe yesterday...good place and good ride...crowded with the $200 hamburger pilot bunch (used to be $100, but with avgas at $7 a gallon no more $100 hamburgers...

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep...

... that must be the place. One of these days I'll check it out, thanks!!
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Our ears aren't what they used to be.
    I've noticed my collection of 33 rpm vinyl LP's have mysteriously become less scratchy over the last 20 years or so. I used to turn the treble down for my most worn albums but my ears have adjusted so that I no longer need to.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Scotty,

Is there no solution for the hot start problem with the 2010 RT models? Thanks.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    Scotty,

Is there no solution for the hot start problem with the 2010 RT models? Thanks.

Mike
    None yet that I am aware of, or my dealer is aware of. The work-around routine goes as follows:

1. If the Spyder doesn't start right away when hot, crack the throttle slightly and try again a time or two;
    2. If it still doesn't start, hold the throttle wide open (WOT) and crank a few times to clear the cylinders...the Spyder will not start at WOT;
    3. Try again with the throttle fully closed;
    4. If it is a no go, crack the throttle and try again.

I never had to go beyond step #4, even when I killed a spark plug.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

None yet that I am aware of, or my dealer is aware of. The work-around routine goes as follows:

1. If the Spyder doesn't start right away when hot, crack the throttle slightly and try again a time or two;
    2. If it still doesn't start, hold the throttle wide open (WOT) and crank a few times to clear the cylinders...the Spyder will not start at WOT;
    3. Try again with the throttle fully closed;
    4. If it is a no go, crack the throttle and try again.

I never had to go beyond step #4, even when I killed a spark plug.

Step 5. Leave the key in it and catch a cab home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, while we are on the subject, how do we know about recalls, upgrades, etc. Most companies send out notices by mail, but it doesn't seem BRP does this. I would have never known about the -7, -8 or -9 if Lamont and others had not posted the information here.

I guess the BRP policy is you get the upgrades at the dealer when you go for maintenance. Okay, fine, but many here do their own oil/filters and don't go to their dealer that often.

I consider thses present upgrades to be important and serious improvements. I think BRP has a way to go in their lack of notifications of upgrades.

Is there any web site we can go to see all upgrades.... I wonder what 2011-1 through -6 are?

Lots of room for improvement here by BRP!

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Scotty, while we are on the subject, how do we know about recalls, upgrades, etc. Most companies send out notices by mail, but it doesn't seem BRP does this. I would have never known about the -7, -8 or -9 if Lamont and others had not posted the information here.

I guess the BRP policy is you get the upgrades at the dealer when you go for maintenance. Okay, fine, but many here do their own oil/filters and don't go to their dealer that often.

I consider thses present upgrades to be important and serious improvements. I think BRP has a way to go in their lack of notifications of upgrades.

Is there any web site we can go to see all upgrades.... I wonder what 2011-1 through -6 are?

Lots of room for improvement here by BRP!

Registered owners are notified of recalls by mail. Recalls are safety issues. This is the law. No manufacturer I know of notifies owners of Technical Service Bulletin issues, though, although sometimes it would make good sense...like with the throttle body campaign. TSBs are passed on to the dealers, who are expected to implement them either
    a.) if you tell them you have the problem they mention, or
    b.) if they hook your vehicle to the computer and it says you need the update/repair.
    This is standard practice. TSBs are seldom available to the consumer. Even if an owner does his/her own maintenance, it pays to stay in contact with the dealer to see if there are blanket TSBs that concern you. Paying for a diagnostic periodically is another possibility. Please noter that hooking the Spyder up to BUDS is part of the specified maintenance schedule. Owners that do their own mechanical maintenance should have this done regularly, in addition to the work they do themselves.

Too many owners would interpret the TSBs wrong, not noticing that a particular one didn't apply to their particular machine. Others would become repair "hypochondriacs", imagining that every possible problem was happening to them. It is a can of worms! TSBs often do not apply to all vehicles manufactured, or to all vehicles in the list of those possibly affected. We have a hard enough time with Spyders lingering in the shop and with overworked techs, without everyone beating down their doors every time a new service bulletin was issued. Many owners do not have the skills to understand if a particular TSB applies to them. They do usually know when things are not working right, however. That is the time to visit the dealer. The tech will then look to see if any TSBs apply to the problem. JMHO
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-08-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would have thought in BRP's interest to have these "little problems" sorted before they became "BIG problems".
    It's a lot quicker, easier and more convenient to hook the machine to BUDS for 5 minutes and reset than replace a screwed up throttle body.
    OK the park brake spring is a little different, but in my opinion, a safety issue particularly for SE5 owners.
    It's not like there's thousands of these puppies out there...

George....I can't tell if I'm hearing the throttle body whistle or if my ears are playing a tune (tinnitus) after 30 years working in 747's et al.
    Or maybe it's just one of the voices in my head whistling to cheese me off...
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vyperyder View Post
    I would have thought in BRP's interest to have these "little problems" sorted before they became "BIG problems"....
    ....OK the park brake spring is a little different, but in my opinion, a safety issue particularly for SE5 owners.
    It's not like there's thousands of these puppies out there...
    With most new vehicles there are bound to be teething problems, post production, and the RT has its share. I get the feeling that a longer, more rigorous testing program by BRP prior to launching the 2010 model would have improved reliability in some important areas. We all know which areas.

The 2012 models may have some reliability improvements but from outward appearances next year appears to be mainly a colour styling exercise. And from the colour schemes it plans on using BRP must think its next customer base is located somewhere near a school for clowns. Yuk!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Boot Failure on Startup??

Scotty,

Thanks for the info on hot startup failure. From your description, and also due to my RT being a 2010 and not a 2011, it appears I have a different startup problem. I attempted a search on this but turned up nothing, possibly because I didn't know the exact terms to use.

Intermittently, about every half dozen starts or so, immediately after startup the rpms do no go down to the normal 1500 but remain at about 2200. The engine then acts like it has a rev limiter operating and will not rev above about 3000 and the Spyder won't proceed above walking speed. It will also not shift into reverse. If I turn off the ignition key and immediately turn it on again an orange low oil screen appears, even though the oil level is normal. If I turn off the key and leave it off for several seconds the normal screen seen at startup appears and most of the time a normal start-up follows, like the system has rebooted and is now normal.

I know that some highly computerized motorcycles do no allow any throttle whatsoever at startup and I've adopted a procedure where I do not touch the twist grip at all when pushing the start button. It may be my imagination but this may have reduced the frequency of this problem but it still occurs.

I'm wondering if somehow the rev limiter for reverse is being activated incorrectly and causing this - just a guess on my part. The Spyder is currently at my dealer awaiting replacement of a broken exhaust pipe and I've asked them to also check on this (they had never heard of the problem).

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I also greatly appreciate all of your many contributions to these forums, and also that of everyone else who contributes. Although I am an old veteran two wheeled rider (for over 40 years and 50+ bikes), I am finding the Spyder the most difficult machine I have ever owned to "learn" mechanically, and find myself quite perplexed at times. However, my wife and I do love the machine.

Mike