Spyder Garage

Default Touring Advice for New Ryder

Another newbie here (viper red RT-S, 2200 miles). First, thank you all. You've answered dozens of questions--most before I had sense enough to think of asking them. This forum's the best education a new owner could ask for.

Now I need to learn about touring. In late September we are doing our longest ryde so far. It's nothing by many of your standards but it's a beginning for us. Call it the tour-de-civil war: At least 5 sites, 1,200 miles, 6 days, 5 states (WV, VA, MD, and PA) and an obligatory visit with the in-laws. We'll be taking backroads for the most part and staying in hotels. No camping this first time around.

I'm racking my brain planning for it. I know I'm probably way over thinking it and I'm driving my wife absolutely nuts.

So I'm turning to you: What are your expert tips on touring? What is essential to take? What stays at home? What is the one thing you wish you had known before your first long trip?
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

I put a days shirt, underwear, socks in zip lock bags. Other stuff the same way. Press all the air out of the bags, so it will take up lots less space.
    Make sure to hrdrate (sp?). If you do not have to go to the bathroom and are not thirsty, you are already on the way to trouble. Drinks lots of water, not cola. cheap way to carry water, refill plastic bottle then in insulated lunch bags. Freeze a bottle or two in the hotel fridge overnight.
    Others will offer lots of good advice.
    Good Luck.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Carry bottled water you can lay one on each side or passenger hand grips to use as you are moving. We use towels to sit on or any thing that makes seats cooler.Small W-Mart air compressor.tire repair kit.Rain gear.Windshield cleaner gear.

Spyder Garage

I plan everything very well, too...but things always seem to end up a little different. 200-300 miles a day is plenty...especially for beginners. Seasoned riders can do double that, and the nut cases will do 1,000 or more. Several things I take on any road trip: $100 in an envelope tucked in a safe place on the motorcycle, an extra key (preferably in another person's pocket), credit cards, and a cell phone. Also comforting will be a list of Spyder dealers along the way, preferably on your GPS, along with their phone numbers. For convenience, eventually you will want luggage inserts, but large ziploc bags will suffice for now. Be sure to test packing the Spyder beforehand, to be sure all your stuff will fit as planned. Beyond that, let this be a learning experience. Everyone has different ideas of what the need to take and how they prefer to ride. By the next trip, you will no longer be rookies. Godspeed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have 2 quart sized bottles with insulated sleeves. In the motel each night fill both bottles with ice, top off with bottled water, then freeze one, regular refrigerator section for the other. While riding keep my iphone in the rear compartment between the two bottles to keep the phone cooler, with GPS and music going on the phone it gets pretty hot in the rear. By the time you go thru the first bottle the 2nd is usually thawed but still cold.
    Small towel or two, handy for wiping the seat/controls in the morning (dew), good for a quick face wash, sweat, etc.
    Wet weather gear.
    Small kit with some zip ties, small roll of duct tape, flash light, tire pressure gauge, one of those tiny air compressors.

Spyder Garage

What do you need to get first. A trailer if your wife is anything like me. Sounds like a great trip for the first one. just take your breaks when you need them, I wouldn't go over 80 to 100 miles at a time, this is the way alot of us travel give your butt a break in this heat. Take advice from the others as far as packing, Like I said we have a trailer so we take everthing.

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics

Spyder Garage

Planning is a good thing but try to leave flexibility. You may find weather, fatigue or other things that cause you to want to spend a day layover that was unplanned, or perhaps skip one stop and proceed to the next. Don't lock yourself into a too-tight schedule.

As Scotty said, you'll be veterans for your next trip! Have fun. Lots of good advice has already been given.

Most touring riders find they take way too much stuff the first (or second, or third) time out.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. Great advice. We do intend to make this a "smell the roses" kind of road trip. My personal goal is to not lay a wheel on an interstate for the whole trip. Not likely but worth a shot.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Be sure to keep your rain gear readily accessable. Spare battery for the cell phone is also nice. As shown on another cross country ride here, the SPOT trackers are great if you want your inlaws or friends to keep up with where you are. http://www.findmespot.com/en/

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

And if you use a GPS, don't rely on that alone!
    Mine has let me down a couple of times. I use the one on my iPhone, so it probably isn't as good as a Garmin or other dedicated GPS, but when out there, it sure is nice to have that old paper atlas to fall back on. I keep a 50 state version in my Rrunk along with some good magnifying readers thanks to my bad eyes!

Best of luck to you! and

Spyder Garage

One thing I take that I either missed or no one mentioned is a small first aid kit. You never know when something might happen that you need one for. All the other preperations that you would make for an auto road trip is what I do (with the exception of rain gear always have that ready to use). Just go and have a great time. I am of the school of thought that if I forgot it, I can always pick it up somewhere so no biggie.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I pack days on clothes with extra socks and underwear. I can wash on either the third or four at a motel. I carry sack size baggies with launder powder for each day I think I will be washing and dryer sheets. Don't forget quarters for the washer and dryer.

Prepare for weather changes. Have GOOD rain gear. Keep Hydrated - we use Camelbak

Great riding in W VA.

The best trips is those you don't plan ahead.

Have fun and rYde safe.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default Civil War Museum in Harrisburg

If you're in the area, this is a World Class museum. It's also North/South neutral (probably the only one). If you do get up here, give me a bit of notice... maybe we can meet for a snack or dinner!

Regards-
    Frank.

2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5