Spyder Garage

Default cross country ride

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member, but I've has my RT-SM5 for a year now. I just came back from a cross country ride from Pinehurst N.C. to Washington State and back. A total of 10,604 miles. I'm happy to report that there was not one single problem with the Spyder. It rode great through twisties, rain, and 110 degree temps without a hiccup. My average MPG was 32, top speed was 111 mph ( in Nevada, see forever in all directions). I changed my rear tire at 10,400 miles, most miles in one day was 622. I wanted to give a special thanks to Lamonster. He returned my call in the middle of his busy schedule to give me advice on a Corbin seat before I left. My rear-end never got sore and the back rest and fuel filler door alone was worth the money. With all the problems we read about on the forum, I just wanted to say that I'm sure the majority of Spyders run great like mine does. It's the only motorcycle I've ever had and I just love it. Thanks for listening and safe riding to all.

Spyder Garage

Default HI

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member, but I've has my RT-SM5 for a year now. I just came back from a cross country ride from Pinehurst N.C. to Washington State and back. A total of 10,604 miles. I'm happy to report that there was not one single problem with the Spyder. It rode great through twisties, rain, and 110 degree temps without a hiccup. My average MPG was 32, top speed was 111 mph ( in Nevada, see forever in all directions). I changed my rear tire at 10,400 miles, most miles in one day was 622. I wanted to give a special thanks to Lamonster. He returned my call in the middle of his busy schedule to give me advice on a Corbin seat before I left. My rear-end never got sore and the back rest and fuel filler door alone was worth the money. With all the problems we read about on the forum, I just wanted to say that I'm sure the majority of Spyders run great like mine does. It's the only motorcycle I've ever had and I just love it. Thanks for listening and safe riding to all.
    greetings.......

I will soon have a new Spyder. I am greatly pleased about your trip and success with the Seat. As I don't want my butt to get FLAT from long trips. sounds like a winning combo

and Fuel filler cap......... tell me more

Howard

Spyder Garage

That's great to hear! I'm planning a trip on my RT-S next month from AZ to OH. Just installed my Corbin seat and have the trailer ready to go! I've been worried about the trip because of all the "negative" things I've read about on here, but I already have about 4,000 miles on her and never had a problem except for recall stuff, so why should I worry? Right? My dealership has a great service dept and they even said they'd give her a once over before I take off. So thank you for this update, gave me a bit more confidence to do the ride!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear this, seems like all you hear these days are the problems and it is nice to hear that you put yours through the test with no issues.

Like you I love the fuel door, almost the best part of the seat.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on a splendid journey. Thanks for reporting your success.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great trip. My stock seat has been very comfortable for me but that fuel door and the back rest sound pretty nice. How was your oil consumption on the trip?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. My stock seat has been very comfortable for me but that fuel door and the back rest sound pretty nice. How was your oil consumption on the trip?
    I had the oil changed in Washington after 5000 miles and it was still at the top level. I couldn't be happier with my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I couldn't agree more. We just finished a quick 1100 miles - sea level to 9,000 feet, and back. 41 to 102 degrees. (Nary a drop of rain, as I prefer) Twisties, long straight roads, 20 to 90 mph, passing, stuck in traffic, road repairs, gravel, ROUGH roads, beach fog - both of the RT on this trip ran flawlessly. Overall was 31 mpg for both of us.. AND my Corbin seat and BRP frunk bag were icing on the cake...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

's and on your successful rydes.

It's great to hear that people are pleased with their 's and are taking long trips without mechanical hiccups.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Derk...we're neighbors. Didn't know there was another Spyder within shouting distance
    Last edited by 2Gunns; 08-04-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    That's great to hear! I'm planning a trip on my RT-S next month from AZ to OH. Just installed my Corbin seat and have the trailer ready to go! I've been worried about the trip because of all the "negative" things I've read about on here, but I already have about 4,000 miles on her and never had a problem except for recall stuff, so why should I worry? Right? My dealership has a great service dept and they even said they'd give her a once over before I take off. So thank you for this update, gave me a bit more confidence to do the ride!
    Where will you be in Ohio? You might want to check out ohiospyderryders.org to see what's going on or what could occur on your behalf.
    Last edited by stillriding; 08-05-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: corrected website