Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Giving up.

I can tell from the posts that I am not the only one unhappy with the handling of my Spyder. I ride a 2011 RT. I have tried all the advice on the threads plus the advice given by my local dealer. I now have a bit over 1,300 miles and would not ride this thing for more than 50 miles. I have tried putting the fronts to 25 PSI and then taking freeway runs... lowering the PSI 1 lb. at a time down to 13 PSI. Not acceptable yet. The rear is at 28 and the rear suspension is at 25. The front shocks are stock and set to 5. I can't bring myself to lay out even more money for Elkas or a new torsion bar.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14. I have been riding 4-wheelers for the last 15 years both on and off road. I thought this machine was dangerous in the beginning but on advice read here, I have kept at it, hoping I (or it) would get better. On a perfectly calm day, the ride is nice. It is rarely dead calm around here. I am scared to death to go past a semi as a sudden gust of wind will move me over 2 feet. I am not sure there is anything wrong with the Spyder as I can sometimes let loose of the bars and it tracks straight. For winds, I've tried riding with the windshield up and all the way down. Not much difference.

I am used to getting on, cranking the stereo and riding for 4-500 miles. On the Spyder I am exhausted after 40-50 miles. Yes, I am "relaxing" and holding lightly. Yes I am letting the bike have it's own way. But in the wind, it whips me back and forth in the seat and occasionally the front feels like it is digging into the pavement. IMHO, this thing is dangerous. I am aware of posts that others track well. I've complained to the shop and they tell me it is "fine." If this is what qualifies as"fine," I'm gonna sell it for $50 and buy another Goldwing. I don't have any hair to pull out but wish I did. I know there have been other posts like this one, so just add this one to the pile. Good luck and happy riding to all.
    Last edited by Shaku; 07-31-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shaku View Post
    I can tell from the posts that I am not the only one unhappy with the handling of my Spyder. I ride a 2011 RT. I have tried all the advice on the threads plus the advice given by my local dealer.
    I've complained to the shop and they tell me it is "fine." If this is what qualifies as"fine," I'm gonna sell it for $50 and buy another Goldwing. I don't have any hair to pull out but wish I did. I know there have been other posts like this one, so just add this one to the pile. Good luck and happy riding to all.
    I have 50 dollars as an offer on the spot. Just PM me with the acceptance please.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I think that pretty much everyone has complained about on their initial voyages. Most people are singing praises after 1000 miles or so. Try the recommended pressure in the front tires--and 28 # in the back. Set your shocks to 4 or 5.

Overcontrolling is a large problem of erratic steering. See how little input you can use--and it should improve.

If there are still issues--you may have some set up issues that were wrong from day one.

There are many mechanical experts on this forum who will probably chime in and assist you. You should be able to go at least a tank of gas before having to get off the bike--if you want to.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy spyderll

I feel your pain I tried to ride this weekend again and I am haveing the same issues and I have done everything you have . I even have a lot of trouble making left turns with it . I wish I would have never bought one myself .

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

Wait, wait, I'll offer $75.00. Now that that is out of the way, posts about Elka shocks,swaybars, and who knows what else should start pouring in. If you don't like any of the solutions, my offer stands. Sounds like you are one of two people, those that absolutely love the as it is or absolutely hate it. Just my $.02

Happy Spyder Ryder, Patrick

Former GoldWing owner.
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Default Why not try this

I'm sure there is an experienced spyder ryder near where you live. Why not try to hook up with someone and let them try your spyder. At least find out if the bike is guilty or it's just you? just a thought. (and no, i don't mean a dealer)

(and for the record, I will offer 200.00 and pay for shipping.)
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default New offer

What Spyder3 said. I rode an friend's RTS and his issues were indeed assembly and setup related. If nothing else, this gave him a basis to have his machine properly dialed in after the dealer corrected his errors. (all minor by the way) And my offer now stands at $250.00

2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Giving up

Quote Originally Posted by Shaku View Post
    I can tell from the posts that I am not the only one unhappy with the handling of my Spyder. I ride a 2011 RT. I have tried all the advice on the threads plus the advice given by my local dealer. I now have a bit over 1,300 miles and would not ride this thing for more than 50 miles. I have tried putting the fronts to 25 PSI and then taking freeway runs... lowering the PSI 1 lb. at a time down to 13 PSI. Not acceptable yet. The rear is at 28 and the rear suspension is at 25. The front shocks are stock and set to 5. I can't bring myself to lay out even more money for Elkas or a new torsion bar.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14. I have been riding 4-wheelers for the last 15 years both on and off road. I thought this machine was dangerous in the beginning but on advice read here, I have kept at it, hoping I (or it) would get better. On a perfectly calm day, the ride is nice. It is rarely dead calm around here. I am scared to death to go past a semi as a sudden gust of wind will move me over 2 feet. I am not sure there is anything wrong with the Spyder as I can sometimes let loose of the bars and it tracks straight. For winds, I've tried riding with the windshield up and all the way down. Not much difference.

I am used to getting on, cranking the stereo and riding for 4-500 miles. On the Spyder I am exhausted after 40-50 miles. Yes, I am "relaxing" and holding lightly. Yes I am letting the bike have it's own way. But in the wind, it whips me back and forth in the seat and occasionally the front feels like it is digging into the pavement. IMHO, this thing is dangerous. I am aware of posts that others track well. I've complained to the shop and they tell me it is "fine." If this is what qualifies as"fine," I'm gonna sell it for $50 and buy another Goldwing. I don't have any hair to pull out but wish I did. I know there have been other posts like this one, so just add this one to the pile. Good luck and happy riding to all.
    The worst thing you can do is give up, Believe me I was not very satisfied when I first started riding it. After about 2000 miles I started to get use to it. My brother has a valkyrie and he used to laugh at me for buying the spyder. He would be a couple miles ahead of me and had to wait. Now I am on his tail on all kinds of roads. I love it. I would not trade it for 3 goldwings. But then again maybe I would and then I can have a spyder for every day of the week.

Spyder Garage

There are some riders that have never gotten used to the Spyder...no matter what. I am sorry that you may be one of them. If your dealer has not done so, have him check the zero settings on the steering sensors. Mismatched sensors can make the Spyder handle erratically. Also have him check the toe-in. Too little toe-in will cause wandering, and reaction to bumps, road crowns, and wind. Make sure he uses the newest spec for the toe-in. I believe it is 3/32" at six feet. He should also use the new BRP alignment fixture. The best techs will also verify the toe-in with the Spyder loaded, to make sure it doesn't change excessively. I hope you and your Spyder can come to terms.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    What Spyder3 said. I rode an friend's RTS and his issues were indeed assembly and setup related. If nothing else, this gave him a basis to have his machine properly dialed in after the dealer corrected his errors. (all minor by the way) And my offer now stands at $250.00

I counteroffer at $300.00 and throw some leather chaps!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I'll give you $1000.00 and Ill come take it off your hands today.

I really don't know what to say, I wish I could ride and see if it does have a problem. I ride mine with one hand passing big rigs at 80-90 all the time with no problem. If you're doing everything right I would have them check your alignment just to be sure. It should be that bad for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The best techs will also verify the toe-in with the Spyder loaded, to make sure it doesn't change excessively.
    How do you do that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    I counteroffer at $300.00 and throw some leather chaps!
    I'll pay $1500 !
    The improved Swaybar and change to 2011 RT shocks pretty much took care of my problems, and I ride twisty roads every time I get on the Spyder. If I had to buy Elkas to get a decent ride, I would sell too! There has to be a limit to how much you have to add to a $25k toy to make it feel right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    How do you do that?
    Best to ask Kurt that question. He walked my tech through it. I think it is just an empirical check, setting the toe-in, then installing the wheels and measuring at distance between them, then lowering it to the ground, loading it, and measuring the tire-to-tire distance again. Anyway, Kurt said it was always a good idea.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

If your Spyder is dangerous Like you say, I'll take it off your hands;
    But you'll have to pay ME 50 dollars In return i will sign a waver saying that i won't sue in case of an accident with that Dangerous Spyder,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default More.....

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There are some riders that have never gotten used to the Spyder...no matter what. I am sorry that you may be one of them. If your dealer has not done so, have him check the zero settings on the steering sensors. Mismatched sensors can make the Spyder handle erratically. Also have him check the toe-in. Too little toe-in will cause wandering, and reaction to bumps, road crowns, and wind. Make sure he uses the newest spec for the toe-in. I believe it is 3/32" at six feet. He should also use the new BRP alignment fixture. The best techs will also verify the toe-in with the Spyder loaded, to make sure it doesn't change excessively. I hope you and your Spyder can come to terms.
    Where can I learn more about this new alignment D-vise!

Bill

I think I should have started another thread about this!?
    Last edited by bill pitman; 07-31-2011 at 06:40 PM.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

This is THE best advice for Shaku. Have an experienced owner ryde it and see if it us indeed the Spyder or the Ryder. Then no more doubt about the solution. My RT is stable and true. Like Lamont I pass big rigs quite often running 75-80 with one hand. So there are really only a couple of possibilities. Ryder, Ryder perception, or this particular Spyder. Definitely not all RTs.

Shaku, where do you live??

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    I'm sure there is an experienced spyder ryder near where you live. Why not try to hook up with someone and let them try your spyder. At least find out if the bike is guilty or it's just you? just a thought. (and no, i don't mean a dealer)

(and for the record, I will offer 200.00 and pay for shipping.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    Where can I learn more about this new alignment D-vise!

Bill

I think I should have started another thread about this!?
    Lamont showed a picture in his tech school threads. It appears to hold the steering centered.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default It's like drinking coffee, after developing a taste for it you can't do without it.

Seriously tho, it has taken me some time to get used to the spyder. I also have ridden motorcycles for over 40 years and currently have 5 in my garage. The only thing that catches me off guard on the spyder is cross-winds on bridges (interstates). These do shift me around a little, in this normal for everyone? Otherwise I am happy with the spyder and liking it more every day. Hope someone can help with your handling problems. Mine came with 21.5 psi in the front tires and I did drop them to 18 and I believe it made a good difference although I may have just been getting more used to the handling and the pressure drop may not have made that big a difference.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    This is THE best advice for Shaku. Have an experienced owner ryde it and see if it us indeed the Spyder or the Ryder. Then no more doubt about the solution. My RT is stable and true. Like Lamont I pass big rigs quite often running 75-80 with one hand. So there are really only a couple of possibilities. Ryder, Ryder perception, or this particular Spyder. Definitely not all RTs.

Shaku, where do you live??
    I live about 20 miles from Spokane. I have seen one or two other Spyders waiting for service when I went for the 600 mile service. I have never seen another Spyder either in a parking lot or on the road. I won't drive this thing to Seattle, but if any experienced person happened to be on the East side of the mountains, I would meet them and buy lunch. As for one-handed passing, I have never made it to 80 mph with two hands and a well worn set of prayer beads. We have pretty poor road maintenance here and ruts of varying depths due to studded tires and plain old wear. That can't be helping things. Below 50, things are managable. At 65 I enter the "Twilight Zone."
    Last edited by Shaku; 07-31-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Here is What I can offer

I live close to you (Chelan, WA)....I am more than willing when I get home to come and ryde your Spyder and give you my opinion. Now what I am NOT...I am not a mechanic..don't know all those fancy names, parts and what they do. BUT what I am is a committed Spyder Ryder who started out with the scared s%$^less meter registering very high!!!! I have over 15k on my 2010 RT SE5..is yours an SE5? I only know how to shift the SE5!!! so it would need to be for me to "test drive it for you". Let me know if that would be of any help to you.
    Right now I am in Willows, CA headed to Hollister for my new Corbin seat..left Chelan on Fri....I have no problem with the one hand passing trucks on freeway (altho I realllly prefer to stay away from blue roads just cause of scenery)....or them passing me...yep we do have lots of wind in our area....I ryde Chelan to Spokane up over wheat flats all the time...and it can blow reallllllly hard....sure have to be on my game as it does buffet Spyder but not anything that I feel is dangerous.....
    Last edited by murphybrown; 07-31-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

I have a 2010 RT-Se & I had what I considered serious problems with side winds and winds off the trucks. I got the elkas, that improved my handling a lot better but it was still difficult for me to turn it. Then I got the idea that maybe if I just PUSHED instead of pull and don't do both at the same time that would help. It did. So now things are a lot better. I just got back from about a 3000 mile trip where I fought with the bike and it usually won till i quit fighting it. I still get buffeted around some by the big rigs but just pass em quick like. But get the same thing in my PU. I still don't like going on Freeways etc.... to fast can't see the scenery going that fast. More fun on the back roads. You'll get the hang of it eventually. And when you do you will be a happy owner. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down once again

someone has a problem with riding their spyder, for whatever reason, and it becomes a big joke. W T F.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I live close to you (Chelan, WA)....I am more than willing when I get home to come and ryde your Spyder and give you my opinion. Now what I am NOT...I am not a mechanic..don't know all those fancy names, parts and what they do. BUT what I am is a committed Spyder Ryder who started out with the scared s%$^less meter registering very high!!!! I have over 15k on my 2010 RT SE5..is yours an SE5? I only know how to shift the SE5!!! so it would need to be for me to "test drive it for you". Let me know if that would be of any help to you.
    Right now I am in Willows, CA headed to Hollister for my new Corbin seat..left Chelan on Fri....I have no problem with the one hand passing trucks on freeway (altho I realllly prefer to stay away from blue roads just cause of scenery)....or them passing me...yep we do have lots of wind in our area....I ryde Chelan to Spokane up over wheat flats all the time...and it can blow reallllllly hard....sure have to be on my game as it does buffet Spyder but not anything that I feel is dangerous.....
    Sorry, mine is a manual (SM5?). I know the way to Chelan well. Just went there for a 3 day training at Campbell's. I bring my TT and stay at Lakeshore. Been doing that for 10 years. I know enough not to take the road from Waterville down. Oi! As for the other comments on taking secondary roads, I can relate to that, but I don't roll that way. Frankly, I don't care if it ever handles turns well. I like to "eat" freeway. Like San Luis Obsipo to Spokane in 25 hrs. With only a few hours sleep in Klamath Falls. I need a ride that feels like it is on rails on straight sections at 80mph and goes 5mph faster when the AC/DC is cranked up. . I'm making an appt. tomorrow for another alignment check.
    Last edited by Shaku; 07-31-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    someone has a problem with riding their spyder, for whatever reason, and it becomes a big joke. W T F.
    and to make it even worse is everyone trying to make a joke (I hope) of the situation by offering such low ball prices for the spyder if he really was to sell it. I wish I lived close enough to help, as that is what we should be doing. Not making jokes about the situation.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold