Thread: Problem? Maybe

Spyder Garage

Default Problem? Maybe

I am at the SITA event in Lake Placid. It is Saturday evening. I decided to go out for dinner and when I started up, problems, problems, problems!
    I seemed to start OK but quit after a few seconds. Started it up again and a few seconds later it quit. Started it up again and kept it revved up. It ran rough but didn't quit. When I went to go out of the parking lot, I could not get above 4500rpm. I sounded to me as if it was running on one cylinder. It was NOT in Limp Mode but that's how it felt. I went about 100 yards down the street and it was running rough and backfiring and then it quit again. I pulled off to the side of the road to gather my thoughts. I decided to check codes. It had two. One I can't remember and the other was P0174.
    Next I decided to pull the key and see if the codes reset. When I checked again, the first code was gone (that's why I can't remember it) and the P0174 code was still there. BUT when I started it up, it seemed to run OK so I continued about one mile to the restaurant. This time I pulled the IPS key and took it with me.
    While in the restaurant I gave Lamont a call to see if he could give me the meaning of the P0174 code. (BTW Thanks and cudos to Lamont. What a great guy).
    He said that it looked like the code indicated a too-lean mixture and he thought my O2 sensor was flakey. OK, that's a starting point but on a Saturday night there ain't much I can do until Monday.
    Anyway, after dinner I went out to the scoot, inserted the IPS key and checked for codes. THEY HAD ALL RESET and no codes came up. She started fine and gave me full power back to my motel.
    We'll see what tomorrow brings. If anyone knows what's going on I'd love to hear it.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Hopefully it is just a transient electronic glitch. The dealer can retrieve the other (now inactive) code. Keeping my fingers crossed for your safe and trouble-free return.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

This problem has come up a few times on the forum. Twice happened to me. There is no current answer--other than some type of gremlin. It's scarry when it happens though.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Gremlins

Well, I had the same problem this morning. But it resolved if I let the thing warm up and clear the codes by removing the key. I am at the Port Kent/Burlington Ferry now and should be in Burlington, VT noon. Don't know if I'll stop there and have a dealer take a look tomorrow. Any GOOD dealers in VT?

Spyder Garage

Default No problems

Well, I am in Conway,NH after a great ride across the Kancamagus Highway. The P0174 error code stays up now. It doesn't clear with key removal (after 4 or so times). But the stalling and misfiring never came back after the initial startup this morning. It seems like once it's warmed up the problem goes away.
    We'll hafta see.

Spyder Garage

Bootie there is a dealer in N. Conway also in Concord (exit for race track on 393 oposite direction) I can't vouch for them because I haven't with them. The dealer I use is in Hooksett, just outside of Manchester, NH. I know they will be open tomorrow. I may even pay them a visit in the morning to chat and set up an appointment for a bike check. Been 7000 miles since last check. I'm on the call list if you need help.

Spyder Garage

Default Glitches

Well, I made it to Conway,NH and have had no recurring problems. As luck wood have it, there is a dealer about 5 min down the street. I am scheduled to have a BUDS analysis tomorrow and we will go from there. The fault codes I now have are P0031 which is an ECM problem and P0174 which is a fuel mixture problem. Lamont thought it might be a O2 sensor problem. The problem, whatever it is, did not rear it's ugly head today. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Spyder Garage

Default Glitches

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    Bootie there is a dealer in N. Conway also in Concord (exit for race track on 393 oposite direction) I can't vouch for them because I haven't with them. The dealer I use is in Hooksett, just outside of Manchester, NH. I know they will be open tomorrow. I may even pay them a visit in the morning to chat and set up an appointment for a bike check. Been 7000 miles since last check. I'm on the call list if you need help.
    Roger, thanks for your offer. I'll try the dealer in Conway and see how it goes. He must be new because he is not listed on my GPS.

Spyder Garage

Default Problem resolved, kind of.

I finally got to put my RT on a BUDS this morning. It looks like Lamont hit it on the head. There are two O2 sensors and if they don't agree it will confuse the ECM and it will throw some fault codes. Probably bad O2 sensor (Yeay Lamont). Everything seems to be OK now so I won't replace the sensors till I get back to Ohio. Also the tech said that if I get the problem again (it occurred at startup) to just let it run and warm up then turn it off and back on again. This was the procedure I came up with on my own. All is well (more or less) again.
    The dealer in Conway is Profile RV. They know what they're doing and did not charge me a penny.
    Last edited by Bootie; 08-02-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I finally got to put my RT on a BUDS this morning. It looks like Lamont hit it on the head. There are two O2 sensors and if they don't agree it will confuse the ECM and it will throw some fault codes. Probably bad O2 sensor (Yeay Lamont). Everything seems to be OK now so I won't replace the sensors till I get back to Ohio. Also the tech said that if I get the problem again (it occurred at startup) to just let it run and warm up then turn it off and back on again. This was the procedure I came up with on my own. All is well (more or less) again.
    The dealer in Conway is Profile RV. They know what they're doing and did not charge me a penny.
    Glad it was pretty simple. Hope you don't have any other issues along the way.