Spyder Garage

Post Another new Spyder Ryder; a scared one.

After 30+ years of 2 wheeled riding, 26 of them being on HD Touring bikes, I was forced to make a change. Due to a disability, I can no longer pull in the clutch or shift my Ultra with the left foot. My husband and I decided that the only solution for me was the RT-S SEC. I have only ridden it for a short distance and am very concerned about the squigly front end. From what I have been reading here, this is something you become accustomed to and more tire pressure and stiffer shocks help. I can handle that. What is scaring me most are all the breakdowns and 'limp home mode' reports. Are these things really that undependable? I do not always travel with my husband and breakdowns are very scary for me.

Anyone out there pulling a trailer other than the Spyder? Any problems? I have a trailer I used with my HD Ultra that weighs about 200# empty. Also, have a small landscaping trailer (again about 200#, maybe less) that I put my handicapped scooter on. I have not yet had the trailer hitch put on the Spyder, but am wondering if I would have any problems pulling either of these trailers.

Also, wondering if there are any Spyder Ryders in the Poconos of PA. We have one Spyder in our motorclcle club but he is to new to the Spyder experience to answer any questions for me. If there are Pocono Spyders, or near by Spyders out there; please check out our web site www.poconoriders.com and join us for a meeting and/or a ride.

Spyder Garage

While I cannot speak for anyone but me, I have not had one mechanical problem in 9k miles. Ran in some snow, lots of rain, and blistering hot weather. As has been stated here there are a ton of these on the road and only some have had problems. As you are aware of if you go the the HD sites you also hear of stuff that never happened to you. So it goes.

As for the riding, it does take some getting used to. I feel very comfortable now with 9k under my belt but can say there were days when I thought what the hell did i do?? For me, other than safety type things. eyes up and that stuff, I think all of your two wheel skills need to take a back seat and you need to start all over with this new ride.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

I have almost 14k miles on my RT. I have not had one problem. I bought ELKA Shock to help with the handling. But mine is a 2010.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

There are differences in steering technique between a two-wheeler and a Spyder. To turn right on a two-wheeler requires a technique known as counter steering. On a two-wheeler, to turn right, you actually nudge the handlebars slightly to the left. This results in the bike leaning to the right and making the turn. On a Spyder, it does not lean, so it turns precisely into the direction you turn the handlebars.

Having many years of two-wheeler experience, you probably don't even think about the counter steering technique. You brain says turn & your arms respond without further thought. You will need to think about how to make turns again until your arms learn the new technique while on the Spyder (or almost any other trike). Once you figure it out in your mind, you should have no further steering difficulties & it'll become automatic again.

I would not worry too much about the break down issues unless you have it happen to you. There's plenty in life to worry about without taking on worries that likely will not ever be yours.

I have pulled four different trailers behind bikes, mostly Goldwings, some 70-80 thousand miles. I have the RT-622 trailer now that I pull behind the Spyder. The Spyder did an exceptional job pulling it, so I don't think you'll have problems there. You will want to remember to put the Spyder in trailer mode while pulling.

Welcome to SpyderLovers & God bless

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry too much about the breakdowns. The Internet blows such things way out of proportion. Thousands of Spyders have travelled thousands of miles with no issues at all.

I have three trailers I tow with my Spyder. Only one is the factory trailer. The factory trailer weighs 250#, so your 200 pounders should do fine. Remember that total trailer weight is limited to 400 pounds. Your best bet is to make an adapter harness to go from the Spyder 9-pin (7 are used 6 wires are active) connector to the trailers. You could also wire each trailer to match, but that may cost more. I used a 2010 trailer tongue harness to make my adapter for my 5-wire trailers, but you will have to match the Spyder to what you have. Many have found that the easiest way to attach a 4-wire trailer to a 2010 RT was to add additional turn signals to the trailer, making it a 5-wire, but the 2011 trailer acts as a 4-wire on the 2011 RT, so that may no longer be necessary. As an alternative to the BRP trailer tongue harnesses, the Deutsch connectors are available online from various sources, but the connector and pins must be purchased separately and the connector assembled using the correct crimping tool. A good trailer shop may be able to help, if you get them the connectors.

Spyder Garage

and on the new ryde.

As others have said, there is a learning curve when coming off of 2 wheels. Usually 200-500 miles. It took me about 500 miles after 40 years of 2-wheeling. I also had to learn to drive the RTS when I traded in my RS with 22,000 miles on it.

Mechanical issues--you will hear a lot about them--because when they happen--they get posted. I have had 3 spyders--over 50,000 miles--and no major on the road breakdowns.

Give it a chance, and in 1000 miles or so--and I am guessing you will be a happy owner.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the encouragement and info

Spyder Garage

2000 trouble free miles in about 7 weeks. It's a very unique machine that takes some getting use too. The more you ride it the better it will feel. Be sure to experiment with your front shock setting and air pressure in your tires. It will really make a difference in how it handles. Have fun!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

22,000 happy miles on our RT and 8,500 on our RS in 15 months....
    just added a trailer to the RT a couple months ago, and don't even know it's there.

Relax and enjoy the ryde. The Spyder will serve you well. .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Alice!
    Making adjustments in order to stay out "in the breezes" can be unsettling... The Spyders ride and handle a bit more like an ATV or a snowmobile so if you have any experience with them, it might ease the transition a bit. The internet is a great place for people to comlpain a lot about problems, but the Spyder owners that you rarely hear from are all too busy piling up the miles and smiles!
    It'll take a couple of hundred miles or so to start feeling real comfortable with the spyder... but it'll be worth it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know what you mean about the "squiggly's" but I'll bet that goes away with some seat time and a lighter grip on the bar. At first I never thought I would be relaxed like on two wheels, but now it is very enjoyable and just different not scary.

As far as reliability we have 11000+ miles on our RT only problem has been the rear shock and that was repaired under warranty so it wasn't really an issue. Reading all the posts about problems has allowed me to be more aware about this machine's nature and has actually lessened my apprehension. Most problems ( there are exceptions of course ) it seems to me are related to unfamiliarity both by the owner and the dealer and as they say, " we fear what we don't understand."

Have fun, it's a great ride !

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

Wow first "way to go lady" on not allowing your disability to Keep You Down!!!
    Now onto my Spyder...I am over 15k and the only "major" issue I had was with a tech error during an oil change. AND the dealership was very willing to make everything right with me...it was not a life threatening situation and was handled well.
    Now as far as adjusting...oh yea, I was a very nervous grannie when I first got Ms Spyder..those tight muscles (hands, arms, shoulders, neck & butt) were living proof that I was scared spitless...then I keep reading on here...sneaking up to WalMart parking lot at 5 a.m....and pretty soon all those muscles started to unknot...my mantra as I was driving was I CAN DO THIS BREATHE!!!! and here I am now...on my latest journey...which will add several hundred/thousand miles to Ms Spyder as I "do" Or/CA/WA...
    So stay with it...IF a problem occurs...remember to breathe..start here for answers (such an incredible resource) and talk to your tech like an expert.....I am so non mechanical but when I go to my dealership for service or addition of mods I am prepared...makes for a great working relationship. He knows what I want/expect and I know what he can/will do.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

& You will love your new ride.

Pete

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty sure the will grow on your quickly one you spend some time with it. I haven't had a mechanical issue in the last 10000 miles and only one in the first 8000 ... If you watch the nightly news you will see that the world is coming to an end because only the negative things are reported.. Web forums are not unlike that.

Spyder Garage

Default What was said

What has been said about all the negativity associated with out machines is true. There are some out there with challenges, as is true of any mass produced product and the internet does blow these things way out of porportion. Thee are too many of us out there that have transitioned from two wheels to three for this to be the rolling nightmare it can be painted to be. We have over 10K miles of trouble free fun on our machine, and any glitches that have come up have been addressed on this forum ads found to be one time anomalies. As someone mentioned, there is trouble enough on the horizon without attracting or borrowing more.

Happy Spyder Ryder, Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167
    2011 RTS , Orbital Blue