Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure, handling & wear.

I just set my tires to BRP suggested pressures. (15/28). I want to know how the handling is affected with these numbers and how will the tires wear ? Is there a specific reason they give these numbers on the pull out card ? I know many of you use 18/28 and above. Are the factory numbers better for the tires and for handling or not ?
    Gordon

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I can completely answer all your questions. I can say that I kept 20 in the front tires, 28 in the rear and got 15,000 miles out of the rear and still have the fronts at 19,000 with plenty left on them. I have an RT-S, I ride moderately aggressive, 80 percent 1 up and 20 percent with passenger. 99 percent of my riding has been in FLARDA where it's mostly flat. Hope this helps.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure , handling and wear !

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I'm not sure I can completely answer all your questions. I can say that I kept 20 in the front tires, 28 in the rear and got 15,000 miles out of the rear and still have the fronts at 19,000 with plenty left on them. I have an RT-S, I ride moderately aggressive, 80 percent 1 up and 20 percent with passenger. 99 percent of my riding has been in FLARDA where it's mostly flat. Hope this helps.

Chris
    I did have 20/28 and wanted to try lower settings. I had 17.5/28 yesterday and switched to 15/28 (BRP settings). The ride did seem very soft and smooth, but I just wanted to make sure the bike will handle properly at these settings and I will get good tire wear, or not.
    Gordon

Spyder Garage

Manufacturer's recomended tire pressures are a combination (and a compromise) between the sweet spots for comfortable ride, cornering traction, straight-away traction, tire contact (even wear), and the loaded vehicle weight. They may or may not be the safest pressures...remember the Ford Explorer fiasco? Like MSRP, they are merely recommendations. Finding your own preferred pressures is your option. How your Spyder rides and wears will differ from others, depending on your weight, cargo and passenger load, climate, the roads you ride, speed, and many other factors. This is something you are going to have to determine for yourself, with the manufacturer's recommendations and what others have used as a starting point.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have my tires set front @ 28 rear @ 30 just for the reason if riding the RT I ride double ,If I ride solo I ride the two wheeler ...nancys toy I have a question I think My rear tire is showing some wear in center of tire are there wear guides on the tread??? How much tread shoud it get down to before thinking about replacing .Trike has over 80000 mIles on it now
    Jack

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mistake on typing fronts are set at 18 PSI
    Jack

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmkipp View Post

I have my tires set front @ 28 rear @ 30 just for the reason if riding the RT I ride double ,If I ride solo I ride the two wheeler ...nancys toy I have a question I think My rear tire is showing some wear in center of tire are there wear guides on the tread??? How much tread shoud it get down to before thinking about replacing .Trike has over 80000 mIles on it now
    Jack
    There are wear guides, Look at the sidewalls you'll see little triangles that will be in line with the wear indicators, Don't confuse the higher blocks with 5 horizontal lines on them .
    Those are water blockers, the real indicators are deep down. Your Manual will have a picture of the indicators and how to locate them.
    Also the Spyders rear tire tends to wear at the center treads fairly quick.