Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kill Switch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    And the hand brake lever, what's the argument here about safety or proper operation? It's OK to have the "creature of habit" effect for the "kill switch", but eliminate the right handed rocket science of a hand brake lever because of costs? One of the main reason I don't let another rider use my machine, especially after seeing them try to grab the handbrake on demo runs. And yes, the spyder is not rocket science, Nasa or the FAA would have grounded this thing so many times by now, we would never get a chance to ride it.
    I don't see that BRP has a responsibility to ensure that motorcyclists remember how to operate the brakes on their machines. It does have the responsibility to RYDERS that they can safely shut down in an emergency.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    I don't see that BRP has a responsibility to ensure that motorcyclists remember how to operate the brakes on their machines. It does have the responsibility to RYDERS that they can safely shut down in an emergency.
    So is it an emergency switch or for normal shut down?
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    So is it an emergency switch or for normal shut down?
    Primarily as an emergency switch. But, as has been previously stated, use in normal shutdown develops the quick reflex which may be needed in an emergency.

arntufun

Can anyone give an emergency senerio in which they would, or have time to use the kill switch while driving ???? Anyone......... Anyone.........

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    +1 One more button pushed, is one more reason someone not familiar with the Spyder, will be able to ride it away.

Are you forgetting the Spyder key has a chip in it ??? If the key is not in it, that Spyder is not going anywhere. The whole world knows there is a kill switch on every bike and it's always in the same spot.

Also, very interesting that most of the advice given for not using the kill switch comes from non-Spyder 'professionals.'
    yy

spydee owner

Default kill switch

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Can anyone give an emergency senerio in which they would, or have time to use the kill switch while driving ???? Anyone......... Anyone.........
    It seems the killswitch is a leftover from a more primitive motorcyle era where the possibility of a jammed throttle was more likely to occur. I can see them on snowmobiles where a frozen throttle is always a possability. Motorcycles ... not so much.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    The kill switch is on the Spyder for a reason. It is colored red for a reason. It is located by your right thumb for a reason. Manufacturers would not install kill switches without a reason, it costs money to do so. This is not rocket science.
    The REASON!!!!
    The manufactures put them there to cover ther a$$ from some idiot that gets in a accident and blames them for his own stupidity by filing a lawsuit.

I personally dont use the kill switch. In a emergency situation im going to be taking evasieve action. The only time i can think of using the kill switch is if i flip the spyder and i am pinned under it.
    Last edited by mowin; 07-25-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    The REASON!!!!
    The manufactures put them there to cover ther a$$ from some idiot that gets in a accident and blames them for his own stupidity by filing a lawsuit.

I personally dont use the kill switch. In a emergency situation im going to be taking evasieve action. The only time i can think of using the kill switch is if i flip the spyder and i am pinned under it.

Good luck in reaching the kill switch after flipping and being pinned.

Spyder Garage

Certainly a good part of the kill switch is a CYA for the company- just like the kill 'tethers' that jet skis have ----- but that doesn't mean they're not a good thing to use regardless.

I would also agree that the kill switch is not as critical on the spyder as it is on a 2 wheeler- especially something like a dirt bike. But what about the person that rides multiple bikes? Good practice to use it on all of them IMO.

While I'm hard pressed in telling you an emergency scenario where you would really need the kill switch on the spyder- it's for the unknown situations that you may need to use it.

The owners manual specifically has a practice situation that has you use the kill switch while at speed and then coast to a stop. I wonder how many actually took the time to do this? I know I did.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

yy
    Never know what some peeps have come up with...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The only thing i can think of is that when the kill is engaged it cuts power off to the fuel pump and the ignition, Definitely a safety feature there.!![fire]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Being familiar with the switch and it use is good. The MSC does teach the use of the kill switch . BUTTTT use what ever you are comfortable with, if you want to use it feel free. if you dont feel free. using it or not wont or should affect the operation of your spyder unless BRP did something different tot he wiring of these things LOL . But I am not a BRP tech im not cool like some people on here LOL HA HA !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

The only thing i can think of is that when the kill is engaged it cuts power off to the fuel pump and the ignition, Definitely a safety feature there.!![fire]
    Exactly! Broken fuel lines present just such a possibility. Preventing engine damage, and possibly oil on the rear tire from a blown engine, if the throttle cable failed would be another. Preventing an out of control machine in case of a clutch failure is yet another. The odds are against such failures, but they have happened. I will admit that the kill switch is an outgrowth of another era and of racing practices, but the idea is still sound. You do not have to remove your hands from the handlebars to switch off the ignition and its related components. If I am not mistaken, this control is now mandated by law.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

spydee owner

Default lill switch

Should get Lamont to have a deadhorse section on this site so we can completely finish beating to death every topic and then transfer it to the dead horse section and beat it some more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=arntufun;354058]In an emergency I'm going to bail off the bike !!! QUOTE]

Where do we begin here???

Oh... the kill switch? I never touch it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    Should get Lamont to have a deadhorse section on this site so we can completely finish beating to death every topic and then transfer it to the dead horse section and beat it some more.
    "Floggin' Forum
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Exactly! Broken fuel lines present just such a possibility. Preventing engine damage, and possibly oil on the rear tire from a blown engine, if the throttle cable failed would be another. Preventing an out of control machine in case of a clutch failure is yet another. The odds are against such failures, but they have happened. I will admit that the kill switch is an outgrowth of another era and of racing practices, but the idea is still sound. You do not have to remove your hands from the handlebars to switch off the ignition and its related components. If I am not mistaken, this control is now mandated by law.
    Might be a law; I think 4 ways are also mandated ?
    Every bike I've had in recent memory has a kill, all my ATVs have a kill,
    Snowmobile's likewise. But the strange thing my Side bys don't?
    Could be that like cars they have an automatic / sudden stop and rollover kill switch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

do we have a style of tip over switch like most 2 wheelers have where the fuel and ign are cut off basically a extra fail safe ?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    do we have a style of tip over switch like most 2 wheelers have where the fuel and ign are cut off basically a extra fail safe ?
    Don't know if the Spyder has any thing like that ? But i've dropped a few bikes in my time, And if still in gear they'll just stall, unless they were in neutral when dropped then the engine will just keep on running

Just to add if a bike had a tip over switch can you imagine if you were in a hard lean going around a curve and that switch trigger's.
    Last edited by boborgera; 07-25-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    There is a rollover valve on top of the fuel tank.

Spyder Garage

Default LOL

All I can say is.. Thank you for the smiles!

Anybody got a old kickstand? I want to put it on my Spyder!
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

I'm so old and slow I guess I will have to stick with the procedure I know.

Stick my head between my legs and kiss my ___ goodbye. OK I just couldn't resist..

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    I'm so old and slow I guess I will have to stick with the procedure I know.

Stick my head between my legs and kiss my ___ goodbye. OK I just couldn't resist..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

Potentially those who had the bad DPS that locked into a left or right turn might have wanted to use the kill switch as taking a hand off the handlebars to turn off the key would have been a disaster.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Potentially those who had the bad DPS that locked into a left or right turn might have wanted to use the kill switch as taking a hand off the handlebars to turn off the key would have been a disaster.

I see what your saying but.......It would not stop you faster than slamming the brake would. That should always be your first instinct in that senerio.