Spyder Garage

Default XM satellite radio

I have a 2011 RTS SM5 viper red, and I had the XM radio instal by the dealer, the AM FM radio play fine, the XM was playing only on the left speakers front and back, and loosing transmission almost 50% of the time. So they replace the XM component, now the XM play on all speakers but loose transmission about 50% of the time. I rode for one week in Maine Quebec, Ontario, New Hampshire and back home, and it does not matter where I ride or the condition it always cut off. After coming back I took a local ride with the Spyder and I noted where and how often I loose the signal. Then I took my truck equip with the XM radio and go over the same route and do not loose signal. So my question is: does anybody have the XM radio and do you loose the signal? Thank you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have satellite radio as part of my Garmin 665 and reception is not as good as in the vehicle. I mounted the antenna on top of the rear seat to maximize exposure and it still sucks. Im thinking my problem is with the Garmin. In your case I would expect reception to excellent?

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Im a Happy Camper with my Garmin Zumo 665 w/XM

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjohn View Post
    I have satellite radio as part of my Garmin 665 and reception is not as good as in the vehicle. I mounted the antenna on top of the rear seat to maximize exposure and it still sucks. Im thinking my problem is with the Garmin. In your case I would expect reception to excellent?
    I just completed the install of the Garmin Zumo 665 with added XM, Nav Weather & Nav Traffic last week. I mounted the XM Antanae Disc to the Upper Right Hand Side Wind Deflector & so far, so good. I haven't totally lost reception (Except once while in a tunnel) but have had a couple pauses for just a second or two, but other than that, no issues at all. Tho, I wired the system into the RT-S myself, without using the BRP Wiring Harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I have XM radio. The antenna is located inside my rear trunk on the top ledge. I live in Flarda so I get good reception MOST of the time. There are times when I'm in a dense forrest that I'll lose reception intermittently. I also was losing reception in Maggie Valley at the owners event. I think it just goes with the territory, but the description of your problem may warrant further investigation.

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 07-22-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Cincy spyder, your antenna that you put on the wind deflector look a lot bigger than the one I have inside my rear trunk. Is that a standard antenna for xm radio? Or is there other antenna bigger and more powerfull? thank you

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also have factory xm radio in my GM pickup. When I put the Garmin 665 in the truck and compare, the xm reception on the Garmin is nowhere near as good as the truck xm radio. This is how I tested it. I dont think the portable antenna is as good as a permanent antenna on a regular xm radio.
    I am also having issues with the GPS freezing. I bought it last September.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Marine antenna

You might consider the Terk XM5 Marine XM satellite radio antenna. Check out ebay.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried an external antenna like this one listed on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIRIU...mZ220816489274

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default XM Ant.

I looked at that one, but don't know if it will plug into the 550 or 660. And the problem is the XM Radio is mounted in the Antenna not in the Garmin.

I have the 550 and I have no problems getting a good signal, as long as I stay out of the trees and tall buildings. I just need a better place to mount the antenna.

Some where under the plastic would be good, just need to find a good spot. By the way I got lucky on Amazon and got my XM antenna for $24.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Spyder View Post
    Cincy spyder, your antenna that you put on the wind deflector look a lot bigger than the one I have inside my rear trunk. Is that a standard antenna for xm radio? Or is there other antenna bigger and more powerfull? thank you
    The XM Antanae Disc that I have mounted to the upper wind deflector is the one that came standard with the Garmin Zumo 665. I purchased this GPS system off of Ebay, so none of it is BRP related. The Zumo 665 is the step-up from what BRP offers. And to date (almost 2 months now) Ive had very good reception with the XM Antanae mounted on the upper wind deflector

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjohn View Post
    I also have factory xm radio in my GM pickup. When I put the Garmin 665 in the truck and compare, the xm reception on the Garmin is nowhere near as good as the truck xm radio. This is how I tested it. I dont think the portable antenna is as good as a permanent antenna on a regular xm radio.
    I am also having issues with the GPS freezing. I bought it last September.
    I bought my Garmin 665 off of Ebay, and even tho it was brand new, I still had issues with it, freezing up, but mostly with sound playing normal, then it would sound like Alvin & the Chipmonks, music, directions & everything. I called Garmin after I registered & they suggested I try updating the software. I did that, but it didn't help, so I called them back & they had me mail them my defective unit & they sent me out a factory refurbished unit that has worked perfectly to date. I would suggest giving Garmin a call, they were very helpful & I'd give them an A for customer service

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I googled motorcycle XM satelite antennas and found this web site .http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/xm...na_SRMT45.aspx

I hope this helps .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default But it's not the Radio

But it's not the Radio, and it has the wrong type of plug. The plug for the Zumo looks like a mini USB.

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder But No Tunes

I had a Sirius radio installed on my 2014 RTS I plugged in to the dc power adapter in the back trunk. I bought a 2018 Limited last week but where the DC adapter was is now a dual USB Port.The dealer ordered what they thought was the right part but when it came in, it had a 2 prong plug but when you lift the cap it is still a dual usb port. Is there such an adapter that goes from dual usb to plug in dc? Someone help me please.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NavyChiefEd View Post
    I had a Sirius radio installed on my 2014 RTS I plugged in to the dc power adapter in the back trunk. I bought a 2018 Limited last week but where the DC adapter was is now a dual USB Port.The dealer ordered what they thought was the right part but when it came in, it had a 2 prong plug but when you lift the cap it is still a dual usb port. Is there such an adapter that goes from dual usb to plug in dc? Someone help me please.
    I found this on Amazon: ARECORD USB A Male to 12V

might work depending on how much power the radio needs. I would think a dealer could easily install a 12V receptacle just wiring in parallel with the dual USB you have now.

-jim-

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The XM radio should be piped thru the AUX cable and that is a stereo jack which might not be completely plugged in. If it's not fully plugged in you can get problems with stereo and not hearing music on both speakers. Check connections.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red