Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tampa Area

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tampa Area

Hey guys,

I have a job interview for a position in the Tampa area. I would like to get some info about the area such as good places to live, is it a good place to raise a family, stuff to do, crime rate and of course spyder dealers. I currently live in WI.

Just looking for additional information to help make my decision when the time comes.

Thanks.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

West Coast Powersports in Clearwater seems to be the most highly thought of servicing dealer in all of Florida. People routinely drive over 100 miles to get service there.
    As to your other questions?? Tampa is a very big place. the answers would depend on the more specific location of your job within the city.. Like all large cities Tampa has some great areas and some "not so great" areas
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I purchased my 2010 Spyder RT-S at West Coast Powersports because they had the best price on the Spyder, gave me more for a trade-in, and have the lowest dealer prep cost. I have it serviced at Motorsports of Tampa (who sell Spyders) since they seem knowledgeable and are 10 minutes from my house. There are 4 Spyder dealers in the area.

I am from Indiana but have lived and worked in Tampa for 26 years, and have no desire to live anywhere else. This is a large area and it depends on what you enjoy re: activities since there is a lot to do in the area and central Florida. There are many nice neighborhoods in Tampa, and some areas that I would not live in. But that is also a matter of personal preference.
    "Do or do not.
    There is no try."

Utopia Backrest, Seal Floorboards, HMT Tail Light, Elka Shocks,
    Evol Sway Bar, ESI Tall Wide Touring Windshield,
    SAENG/TA Quick-Scan Mirrors, Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Ryder View Post
    I purchased my 2010 Spyder RT-S at West Coast Powersports because they had the best price on the Spyder, gave me more for a trade-in, and have the lowest dealer prep cost. I have it serviced at Motorsports of Tampa (who sell Spyders) since they seem knowledgeable and are 10 minutes from my house. There are 4 Spyder dealers in the area.

I am from Indiana but have lived and worked in Tampa for 26 years, and have no desire to live anywhere else. This is a large area and it depends on what you enjoy re: activities since there is a lot to do in the area and central Florida. There are many nice neighborhoods in Tampa, and some areas that I would not live in. But that is also a matter of personal preference.
    I live in Indiana now but if you get me a job down there I would never leave either, lol.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

I would look for a place to live north of Tampa, but close to the Suncoast parkway for commuting. The property prices will be better, and the crime rate a little lower.

Barney's in St. Pete beat all other local dealers when my wife bought her 09 Phantom. They did a good job on the crash repair, but were a little slow in my opinion.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

I work in Tampa but live on the north/east side of the county, in the country which I love...The county north of Tampa, Pasco is a nice area to live and ride...

I take my spyder to Motor Sports of Tampa they are the ONLY ones I will let work on it...they are very good and nice people too.

Like Bikerdoc said we need a more specific location...there are many areas that are a NIGHTMARE to drive in.
    HAPPY FORMER OWNER of 2008 PE 3016

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The North and North West Area is really good and real estate is on the floor if you are a property buyer. Canam wise Barney's of T.Pete, had the best pricing and service when I was shopping.
    Last edited by 34fun; 07-17-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'll add a couple of votes, 1 for living north of Tampa, look into Pasco County. Vote #2 goes to Motorsports of Tampa. They matched or beat every other price I had gotten, and they have serviced my bikes back to my Goldwing days. Their service is outstanding, and they have gone out of their way to help me.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, i love Brandon area been here for over 15 years. I say is going to depend on where you going to be working

Lissy
    Brandon FL

Spyder Garage

GOOOOO....LIGHTNING!!!
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a similar question to Bersquack's: I have a job possibility at Univ. of South Florida in Tampa. I've heard good things about St. Petes, and Pasco County (from this site). Could one live in these areas and commute at 'off-traffic' times? Keep in mind I live in So. Cal so I understand traffic issues, and I would likely be able to work from home two days per week. How are the beaches around St. Petes? Are they decent for swimming and watersports? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdr View Post
    I have a similar question to Bersquack's: I have a job possibility at Univ. of South Florida in Tampa. I've heard good things about St. Petes, and Pasco County (from this site). Could one live in these areas and commute at 'off-traffic' times? Keep in mind I live in So. Cal so I understand traffic issues, and I would likely be able to work from home two days per week. How are the beaches around St. Petes? Are they decent for swimming and watersports? Thanks!

If' it's the beach that you're wanting, then have you ruled out Clearwater? I'm a graduate of USF (undergraduate) and went to law school at Stetson College of Law in Gulf Port/St. Pete. Since USF is in the northern portion of Tampa, I would think that it would be a "straight shot" from Clearwater over to "South Florida". Beaches are great in Clearwater. I mean after all it's the same Gulf in both cities.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdr View Post
    I live in Tampa and work at the U. of South Florida. I live 5 miles from campus, and the traffic isn't too bad. There are a number of nice residential areas near the university, but you have to decide if you want to be near the beaches with a long commute to USF, or in the Tampa area with the beaches nearby. There are several nice beach areas around St. Pete & Clearwater for watersports.
    "Do or do not.
    There is no try."

Utopia Backrest, Seal Floorboards, HMT Tail Light, Elka Shocks,
    Evol Sway Bar, ESI Tall Wide Touring Windshield,
    SAENG/TA Quick-Scan Mirrors, Shortee Antenna

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks mouthpiece and Florida Ryder. I've never been to Tampa, so I don't really know much about the area. I'll check out Clearwater and go online to find out more about areas close to the campus.

Spyder Garage

Default Reliable Can Am dealer service in central Florida?

New to the Can-Am world.
    Can anyone recommend, a good Can Am Dealer to service my 2016 Spyder RT Limited?
    I'm located just off I-75 and US 301 near Wildwood, Florida.
    Also any suggestions who to steer clear of for Can Am service would be appreciated!
    Please PM with info.
    Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A good site for general stats about major cities is http://www.city-data.com

Spyder Garage

Default NOT

TAMPA is NOT a place to live.... (unless you are ultra wealthy)...

i lived in Clearwater, (Countryside), for 10 years.... nice place, very expensive.... Courtney Campbell Causeway will get you to Tampa quick from Clearwater, as long as there are no accidents...

I predict that after a year or so, you'll be looking to move out of Florida... i got fed-up with all the traffic, Q-tips and rain/humidity and moved 600 miles north 17 yrs ago, and i found Heaven....

good luck, have fun, enjoy, and hope all works out for you....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 99flyboy View Post
    New to the Can-Am world.
    It is best to create your OWN new thread instead of adding on to the end of somebody else's......especially when the subject is different......AND the thread it 6 years old.

The nearest dealer to you probably is Barney's in Brooksville.
    There is a LARGE dealer in Ocala but I have little respect for them, personally.
    Your experience might vary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    Hey guys, I have a job interview for a position in the Tampa area. I would like to get some info about the area such as good places to live, is it a good place to raise a family, stuff to do, crime rate and of course spyder dealers. I currently live in WI. Just looking for additional information to help make my decision when the time comes. Thanks.
    Lived in various parts of Tampa for 27 years. Each has it's own flavor and offerings. Hard to point you in a direction without knowing what you are looking for. Best of both worlds would be finding an area you like that is close to work. I had my company on the campus of USF for years and lived in Temple Terrace. It is an incorporated city pretty much surrounded by Tampa. Would be happy to talk about it if you want. PM for phone number.CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Cool Tampa Bay Area

Have lived in Hillsborough and Pinellas -- advantages to both. As previously stated, really depends on where you work and how long of a commute you want to tolerate. We have three bridges and rainy afternoon commutes so pick your poison. As to dealerships, I bought at West Coast Powersports but have found Barneys in St. Pete to be far more helpful in the accessories/service department.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

dunedin fl

Spyder Garage

Default Moving to Pasco Co Next Month

Just giving y'all fair warning...

We are moving to Pasco County next month.

I ride a viper red RTSE5. My wife rides a Star Stryker Raven. We are in our early 50s and have no kids. We do have family in Pasco and Pinellas. We were married in Pinellas in 1995. Lived in St. Pete for a couple of years. Most of our vacation and family visits over the past couple decades and some of my side of the family live in Tallahassee, Ocala, Daytona. So we aren't "strangers." Part of the reason we are relocating is that we have a lot more friends and family in FL than anywhere else. Retired military. Members of American Legion, VFW, and CVMA.

Spyder Garage

OP was 7/17/2011.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Looking for current Tampa dealer info

Thinking of returning to the Spyder world. Visited Tampa Powersports today, my old dealer, and things have changed, a lot. I'll pardon Jon, my first salesman, he's brand new, but he got Mark to help him, and Mark certainly knew more, but couldn't answer some of my questions. I will probably return and chat with them again, but I didn't feel good about my experience. So, is Clearwater Powersports still the "go-to" company in Tampa Bay? How is Barney's? I never felt good about Barney's, but they may have changed.

I am also willing to drive a little, any suggestions on other dealers?

Thanks,

Mike

Spyder Garage

I have purchased two spyders from westcoast powersports. They have been great to work with. The staff is awesome both in sales and service. Talk to Chris Brown is sales he is the best in the spyder world. Tell him Ken Holmes sent you. I have a 2014rts.
    2014 RTS , Cognac