Thread: Fault Codes

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fault Codes

Today I was driving the Spyder and I had to make an emergency manuever into the gas station parking lot to get out of the way from being hit from behind. When I got into the parking lot and I had to get gas any way and the Spyder went into Limp Home mode and said I had an ABS, VSS and DPS fault. I filled up with gas and went ahead and was going to move the bike to the side of the building and have my buddies come pick me up so I could trailer bike to dealer. When I started bike all faults were gone and nothing came up after letting bike run for a while, and I even drove it around neighborhood close to gas station and no problems so I went ahead and headed back on my trip and was able to drive the final 70 miles to my destination. Has anyone else heard about this or had this happen? I only have about 660 miles on the bike.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edobey View Post
    Today I was driving the Spyder and I had to make an emergency manuever into the gas station parking lot to get out of the way from being hit from behind. When I got into the parking lot and I had to get gas any way and the Spyder went into Limp Home mode and said I had an ABS, VSS and DPS fault. I filled up with gas and went ahead and was going to move the bike to the side of the building and have my buddies come pick me up so I could trailer bike to dealer. When I started bike all faults were gone and nothing came up after letting bike run for a while, and I even drove it around neighborhood close to gas station and no problems so I went ahead and headed back on my trip and was able to drive the final 70 miles to my destination. Has anyone else heard about this or had this happen? I only have about 660 miles on the bike.
    Sounds like a loose connection (battery) or loose fuse or relay. I would check your battery connections on the battery itself and the jumper posts. Also make sure the relay's are well seated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edobey View Post
    Today I was driving the Spyder and I had to make an emergency manuever into the gas station parking lot to get out of the way from being hit from behind. When I got into the parking lot and I had to get gas any way and the Spyder went into Limp Home mode and said I had an ABS, VSS and DPS fault. I only have about 660 miles on the bike.
    The same fault codes happened to me 4 days after purchasing my RT-S last month. I was making a left turn from a road with 2 left turn lanes, and the car next to me didn't stay in his lane and took over my lane, which made me swerve and brake quite hard. I pulled over ASAP and called for a flat-bed trailer because I was a very new owner and didn't know as much as I know now thanks to this forum! The Spyder got trailered to the dealer, they told me they "re-calibrated" the computers and assured me it was the emergency maneuvering that caused it. From reading these forums, I learned that keeping the front tires inflated to 18 psi also improved the handling and made the VSS system less twitchy, instead of the manual's 15 psi recommendation. I also found out (as you discovered accidently) that my bike probably would have been fine if I had just re-started it, but after I turned it off I called for the flat-bed thinking something was drastically wrong. I'm at 700 miles now and I've had no more fault codes, even with some sportbike-like handling on the twisties. I also keep those tires at 18!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Anytime that you do so quick violent type actions on the bike you run the risk of confusing nanny and her five computer friends! Does not happen often but it can happen. First step is turn off the bike let it come to it's senses (ie calibrate itself) and then restart. It should be clear at this point. If you want to see if any codes are lurking in the machine but not showing turn on the ignition and press, all at the same time, the M button the S button and the turn signal cancel button.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandgrouchy View Post
    Anytime that you do so quick violent type actions on the bike you run the risk of confusing nanny and her five computer friends! Does not happen often but it can happen. First step is turn off the bike let it come to it's senses (ie calibrate itself) and then restart. It should be clear at this point. If you want to see if any codes are lurking in the machine but not showing turn on the ignition and press, all at the same time, the M button the S button and the turn signal cancel button.
    This procedure only works on the RT models and will only display active faults. If after sitting with the ignition off for a couple minutes and the faults have cleared after restarting then you will not be able to see the fault. The only way to determine what the fault was is to have your dealership's service department connect B.U.D.S. to Spyder and look at the fault history. You may want to give them a call to see if they could look at it.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    This procedure only works on the RT models and will only display active faults. If after sitting with the ignition off for a couple minutes and the faults have cleared after restarting then you will not be able to see the fault. The only way to determine what the fault was is to have your dealership's service department connect B.U.D.S. to Spyder and look at the fault history. You may want to give them a call to see if they could look at it.
    You are right Y Rider I thought we were talking RT's. For the RS to check for active codes you have to do the following if no BUDS reader available;

Press Mode button to scroll to engine hour on gauge
    Start engine and run until check engine light displayed
    Press and hold mode button while rapidly pushing the flash high beam switch five times within two seconds

Release all buttons, if there is a code it will display or no active faults message will show. If multiple faults are present they can be scrolled with the mode button

If the engine cannot be started do the following;

Turn ignition key to on
    Press mode to display engine hours
    Press and hold headlight overrun switch
    While holding the above buttons flash the high beam switch rapidly five times within two seconds

Sounds like a crazy procedure but it is in the '09 to '11 RS shop manual.

Spyder Garage

I put my right hand in,I put my right hand out,shake it all about.
    Thats how I do the Hokey Pokey