Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default X M Radio Install Question

I was wondering about installing the X.M unit onto an R.T S radio, from what I am told by the dealer it seems like it is an expensive and lenghty proposition .Has any one done it and how did it go .Thanks .

Spyder Garage

I do not have the BRP XM option on my RT, but did install the CB/Intercom option myself, so I might have an idea of what is involved.

The RT stereo is mounted on top of the right saddlebag & the XM will have to be plugged into that unit via an Entertainment Harness, required and a separately ordered/purchased part. I believe the XM unit is mounted to the front of the left saddlebag. The Entertainment Harness runs between the XM & stereo. This requires the removal of the entire trunk/saddlebags assembly & the routing of the Entertainment Harness on the bottom side of this assembly.

In this pic, the trunk/saddlebag assembly is hanging from the ceiling with the underneath side facing the camera. (notice the dirty area, which is the inside of the rear fender) The shiny new CB unit is mounted on the front of the right saddlebag. The stereo unit is out of sight, but on the top of that same saddlebag. The Entertainment Harness runs from the stereo along the inside-top of the right saddlebag and just above (in the picture) the dirty part of the fender to the left saddlebag. The XM unit would mount on the left saddlebag in the same orientation as the CB is on the right.

This pic shows the rear of the RT without the trunk/saddlebag assembly.
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 07-15-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank's Mark for the insight, pictures sure do help to explain things

Spyder Garage

A labour intensive install ( rear module and most of the tupperware comes off ) but if you can follow instructions, it is quite doable . Don't forget to order the entertainment harness .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why all the hassel when you can just get a portable radio with fm transmitter to mount on dash? I did this with bluetooth headset and put radio in the trunk & worked great!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

does this idea work by tuning the XM to an unused /open F.M channel ?. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yess! I have sirius sat. and do this. might also find an adapter for the IPod connection to work.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, I am wondering if on a long haul if I would constantly have to keep changing the fm station in order to keep a clear signal. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dont think it should be much of an issue. use upper 100s are not used that much on fm