Spyder Garage

Question Wheel balancing question

I have a 2011 RT Limited that I got last April. Per recommendations from many Spyderlovers members I added Ride-On to all three tires. All has been well except that around 50 mph I get a little wheel wobble. I can rest my foot on the back of the fenders and feel the wobble. Both will do it but the right wheel is worse. So after reading several threads on Ride-On I decided to remove the wheel weights as suggested by others. This was a mistake. Now I will get the wobble anywhere between 45 and 60 mph. I rode it for 30 miles at 60+ so the Ride-On should have been redistributed properly. Luckily I marked the location of the weights and replaced them with new double-side tape so at least I am back were I was.

My question is can I have the wheels spin balanced with the Ride-On still inside or do I need to unmount the tire and remove the Ride-On first?
    Last edited by Y Rider; 07-14-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

You cannot spin balance tires with a balancing or sealing liquid, or balancing beaqds, inside. It would have to be removed. I would check the runout both vertically and laterally before I dismounted the tires and removed the ride-on. I supect you will find a bad wheel.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would check the runout both vertically and laterally before I dismounted the tires and removed the ride-on. I supect you will find a bad wheel.
    Is this something I can do or does it have to go to a tire shop? When running at 60+ I can look at the wheels and tires and all is smooth. If it was a bent rim or bad tire wouldn't it wobble at all speeds?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Is this something I can do or does it have to go to a tire shop? When running at 60+ I can look at the wheels and tires and all is smooth. If it was a bent rim or bad tire wouldn't it wobble at all speeds?
    You will tend to feel the wobble more at selected speeds. It could also be a tire with a heavy spot to one side, which will do the same. You can check the rims by jacking up the Spyder, and using a dial indicator or a wire marker (taped to the fender) to check closely for runout or indentations/lumps. Set the wire pointer close to the rim, and watch while you spin the tire. In extreme cases, like bent rims, you may want to check both sides separately.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 07-15-2011 at 07:12 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

have the problem on my RT .. if you do nothing - it will destroy your bearings ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with our 2011 RT-Limited. Tried Ride-on, then removed the weights, still not good. Solution was to unmount tires, clean them out, and have my tire shop spin balance the tires....problem fixed. We also checked the rims to make sure they were not bent when the tires were unmounted.
    Duane
    2011 RT-Limited - 2010 622, ESI front LED mudflap, Fender tips, HMT Brake Light, Rear BrightSides, Chrome accent center grove front fender, Bridgestone Pontenza(front), Shortee Antenna, Baker AirWings, Utopia Driver Backrest, Custom Mud Flap.

Pending(to be mounted yet) ClearWater lights, SealFloor Boards, Voltage gauge, clock/temp gauge, brake light LED indicators, turn signal LED indicators, manual switch for fan.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fishcraz View Post
    I had the same issue with our 2011 RT-Limited. Tried Ride-on, then removed the weights, still not good. Solution was to unmount tires, clean them out, and have my tire shop spin balance the tires....problem fixed. We also checked the rims to make sure they were not bent when the tires were unmounted.
    Your solution is what I found to be my solution. Not sure if the Ride-On caused the problem or the wheels were never balanced properly. But after the Ride-On was removed and the wheels spin balanced all is good again. Rims are good and the tires have very little run out. Now I have to think about putting Ride-On back in. Maybe I'll just carry a can of Fix-A-Flat in case of a tire puncture.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I've had good luck with Dynabeads, spin balanced then added 2 oz. in the front and 3 oz. in the rear, could see the difference in the mirrors. The auto tires help alot also, the kenda's were out of round, and the wheels are even worse, a cheap chinese casting. Like Scotty said, jack it up a little and spin it with a dial indicator, a lot of runout on the fronts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I've had good luck with Dynabeads, spin balanced then added 2 oz. in the front and 3 oz. in the rear, could see the difference in the mirrors. The auto tires help alot also, the kenda's were out of round, and the wheels are even worse, a cheap chinese casting. Like Scotty said, jack it up a little and spin it with a dial indicator, a lot of runout on the fronts.
    You are the first to report the out of round condition with the Kendas here. I have always suspected it. They also sometimes have a lateral imbalance condition, with one side of the tire having a heavy spot. That creates an interesting "wobble", and is difficult to balance properly. It is difficult to build a thin carcass (motorcycle) tire this wide, so this kind of thing is sort of expected. The out of round wheels are not forgivable, though. These should never pass inspection at the manufacturer.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Maybe it's flatspotting?
    I'm not sure if the Spyder tires are steel-belt or Nylon belt. Isn't Nylon prone to flat spots more?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=42

Spyder Garage

When it comes time for tire replacement I will probably look for something other than OEM. The local tire shop that balanced my wheels didn't have a lot of good things to say about Kenda tires in general.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Interesting that this seems to be an issue with the 2011 RT-Limited models. Mine is going into the shop Friday for the same thing. Wheel shake/wobble between 50-60. Smooths out around 65-75. Between 50-60 is shakes the console pretty bad. Initially thought it was some rough road I was on, but I road my RT-S on the same road and it was smooth as silk. Definately a Limited problem.
    Last edited by JimBob; 07-26-2011 at 11:40 PM.
    2011 SE5 Spyder RT-S with CB/XM/NAV
    2011 SE5 Spyder RT-Limited with CB/XM/NAV
    2006 Honda VTX 1300-R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
    Interesting that this seems to be an issue with the 2011 RT-Limited models. Mine is going into the shop Friday for the same thing. Wheel shake/wobble between 50-60. Smooths out around 65-75. Between 50-60 is shakes the console pretty bad. Initially thought it was some rough road I was on, but I road my RT-S on the same road and it was smooth as silk. Definately a Limited problem.
    no - I have a "standard" RT and need a new wheel ?? - not able to balance it ..
    my problem was I didn`t "feel" the wobble with my soft 2010 shocks - now with the 2011 its really a problem...
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    Maybe it's flatspotting?
    I'm not sure if the Spyder tires are steel-belt or Nylon belt. Isn't Nylon prone to flat spots more?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=42
    The OEM tires are steel belted.

How much rideon are you all putting in? I've found that too much can cause wobble. 12-13 oz for fronts and 16-18 oz for rear.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
    Was your problem ever fixed? I'm having the same issue with my Limited.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Was your problem ever fixed? I'm having the same issue with my Limited.
    The problem turned out to be the front tires. Cowtown gave me a great price on OEM replacements. Absolutely no front end wobble or vibrations since they were replaced and the Spyder tracks perfectly. Must have been a defective set that shipped with the bike.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking of going with after market. Any recommendations?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I'm thinking of going with after market. Any recommendations?
    Lots of threads on this subject. Here is the current one: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-on-the-spyder
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2010 RT and have the same wobble/vibrations around 50-60 mph. I put in the Rideon in my front tires too. Still does the same thing at the same speed. The Rideon smoothed out at other speeds but there is still enough vibrations going on that I can't use a video camera to film while riding.

Spyder Garage

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/counteract/

Solves balancing problems as the ceramic beads stay in place opposite the heavy area of tire for up to TWO weeks by the static charge between the rubber and ceramic. I use 2 ounces in front and their Great and just put 3 1/2 ounces in back with similar results!
    Dyna beads fall to the bottom every stop and can irritate the inside tire after extended use.
    Ride On is terrible for a few miles in my cold winter temps! And I won,t put up with it for that long.

Check out the Link and draw your OWN Conclusion?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Ride on and balancing

I put it in my 3 tires about 10 weeks ago. Had to take the weights off, it was still pretty rough and every wheel had lots of weights. Bike had 10.000 miles. It got better with no weights, but still vibrated some at 53 or so. Rear was getting towards the end, at 12,500, so replaced it with a Kumho 225x50x15 H Ecsta AST and added Ride-on and no weights. As I suspected, it smoothed out perfectly. The original (junk) tire had from 3 mm to 5 mm in the very middle and I hoped that was the problem and it seems it was. Front tires still have 5 mm, almost 6 mm left in them at 13,200. Kumho is a good compromise all the way around - relatively inexpensive, directional, rides like a champ, seems to be giving better mileage to present users and readily available. 2or 3 work days from order till it was delivered to the dealer for me. The old Ride-on looked ugly when the tire was dismounted, but as they promised, it's water soluble and wasn't a problem at all. I'll probably go with Kumhos on the front when present ones get down to 2mm. Of course, if something more appropriate comes along........

Tuck