Spyder Garage

Default Need Help with Park Brake!!!

Hello I have a 2008 SE5.. I had the DPS recall done back in January and had the dealership check the Park Break which was not working properly.. they said that the Parking Break was on the recall list and would fix it.. well now that I have started riding for the summer.. the Parking Break is doing the exact same thing.. it takes me 3 or 4 tries to get it to catch.. and that usually is me pussing it all the way down and then it is a real pain to get it disengauged... I called that Dealership which is 300 miles from my home and talked to them about it and asked them if they had replaced the park break mechanizm or just adjusted it.. and they gave me the run around and acted like they really didnt want to help me with this problem.. their is another dealership that I found out about that is closer to me about 100 miles.. I am going to call them.. If anyone knows anythng about what can be done under warrenty or what is supposed to be done to fix this problem or who I need to call to get some help with this please let me know.. my warrenty runs out in August.. and as you all know the Park Break on the SE5 is very important and a big deal..

any wisdom/advise/help would be greatly appreciated..

PS.. Seeing more and more spyders and spyder commercials these days..

Thanks Guys..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would call Can Am directly and let them know the problem you are having see what they tell you to do.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

ya the park brake is useless. I suggest bringing a rock along with you and placing it in front or back of your tire when parked. It works all the time everytime and will never ever ever give you a problem. It works wet or dry cold or hot !!

Spyder Garage

The wifes 2009 SE5 had parking brake issues shortly after we first got it. I took body off so that I could look at it well and just cleaned it with some blaster. Then wiped it off good and lightly lubed it all. Has worked great since, and have only had to adjust it once just recently.
    The same thing had to be done to her girlfriends bike. Pretty easy and works great now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    I suggest bringing a rock along with you and placing it in front or back of your tire when parked. It works all the time everytime and will never ever ever give you a problem.
    Until you forget and leave it behind...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Until you forget and leave it behind...
    lol.. ya !

Spyder Garage

Default parking break on RS

Cat's kept sticking down . . . sprayed some WD-40 on the mechanism . . . releases easily . . . have to engage it slowly but it works every time . . .
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

The original GS/RS parking brake works best when it is adjusted properly. It should hold fast in just a couple of clicks. Any more, and it is harder to release. It also needs to be cleaned and lubed periodically. Clean the mechanism under the left footrest with your favorite chemical or a good stream of water. I usually use the hose when I clean the Spyder. I follow that up with a liberal dose of WD-40 to repel the remaining water and lube the mechanism. There are better lubes, but the water repellant properties of the WD-40 seem to help...even though you have to apply it more frequently. A little lube at the other end of the cable helps, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Force View Post
    The wifes 2009 SE5 had parking brake issues shortly after we first got it. I took body off so that I could look at it well and just cleaned it with some blaster. Then wiped it off good and lightly lubed it all. Has worked great since, and have only had to adjust it once just recently.
    The same thing had to be done to her girlfriends bike. Pretty easy and works great now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The original GS/RS parking brake works best when it is adjusted properly. It should hold fast in just a couple of clicks. Any more, and it is harder to release. It also needs to be cleaned and lubed periodically. Clean the mechanism under the left footrest with your favorite chemical or a good stream of water. I usually use the hose when I clean the Spyder. I follow that up with a liberal dose of WD-40 to repel the remaining water and lube the mechanism. There are better lubes, but the water repellant properties of the WD-40 seem to help...even though you have to apply it more frequently. A little lube at the other end of the cable helps, too.
    with both above. My parking brake was almost to the point it would not latch. Wiped the latch assembly on the left side and added a little 3 in 1 oil and now it works great! I did adjust the brake to three clicks. Now a gentle push down will set or release the brake.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)