Spyder Garage

Default Spyder only starts in neutral???

I have a 2010 RS SM5, when I first bought it she started in any gear as long as I had the clutch engaged. Reason I know this is when I first started riding I would stall out all the time . Took my spyder for her first 600 mile service and a couple days later I went to start the bike and....nothing. I kept trying,removed the key,waited,let the mode scroll through,still nothing. I finally shifted it into neutral and BAM!!! She started up. Now I have to always be neutral to start it. On occasions (I am human) I stall out in traffic and I must cycle through all the gears find neutral to start her up. Boy that's embarrassing and dangerous!!! Does anybody know if this is normal and is it possible that the dealer disengaged a sensor or part somewhere!!! Thanks for your help!!!

Ride hard and never put your Away wet !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I have a 2010 RS SM5, when I first bought it she started in any gear as long as I had the clutch engaged. Reason I know this is when I first started riding I would stall out all the time . Took my spyder for her first 600 mile service and a couple days later I went to start the bike and....nothing. I kept trying,removed the key,waited,let the mode scroll through,still nothing. I finally shifted it into neutral and BAM!!! She started up. Now I have to always be neutral to start it. On occasions (I am human) I stall out in traffic and I must cycle through all the gears find neutral to start her up. Boy that's embarrassing and dangerous!!! Does anybody know if this is normal and is it possible that the dealer disengaged a sensor or part somewhere!!! Thanks for your help!!!
    Back to the dealer... Unless Scotty or any of the good people here have another answer. But I can get my SM-5 started in 1st, 2nd and Reverse.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was under the impression that it'd start anytime as long as you've got your foot on the brake...?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Check the mico switch at the clutch lever and make sure it clicks for an easy check.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StriperKing View Post
    Check the mico switch at the clutch lever and make sure it clicks for an easy check.
    Gotta be the clutch disengage switch, or the kickstand switch!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I was under the impression that it'd start anytime as long as you've got your foot on the brake...?
    The foot on the brake thing doesn't apply to SM5, only SE5
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

It is definitely the micro switch! I had the same exact problem with my RTS Limited. The micro switch is located on the handle bar and when you pull in the clutch you can see it engage(click). However, just because it clicks does not mean it is working correctly. Take it back to the dealer and have the micro switch replaced.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    Gotta be the clutch disengage switch, or the kickstand switch!!!
    It'll start in any [Sm5] gear, So ether clutch disengage switch, or the optional kickstand switch, should be an easy fix, unless the dealer can't find the kickstand.

Spyder Garage

When I had my SM5 I always left the bike in first and never used the parking brake. It always started for me with foot on the brake and clutch held in.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does anybody here have the BRP part number for the sidestand switch??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does anybody here have the BRP part number for the sidestand switch??
    Yes, BRP-000-00-0, 29.99$ But it's on perpetual backorder.

Spyder Garage

As was said...clutch switch. Often it is just a problem with the trip lever having been bent when cleaning. You can usually bend them back carefully. There have been a couple of clutch switches that came loose, however, and a few that have failed. The dealer can test the switch via BUDS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder only starts in neutral???

The clutch lever micro switch on my 2010 Rt had the same problem,
    I sprayed a little contact cleaner into the switch and clicked several times by hand and carefully bent the arm on switch and added a small length of neoprene hose on arm on clutch lever to give more travel to switch,
    No more problems with starting...Hope this helps you.....

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Yes, BRP-000-00-0, 29.99$ But it's on perpetual backorder.
    That must have superseded BR549 No.

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Default Neutral starting

To all of my fellow SpyderLover friends the problem has been corrected Because of my knowledable buddies who answerd my question on the "Only Starts in neutral" I have FIXED the problem I went out to the garage where I keep my precious and squeezed the clutch lever waiting to hear the infamous "click".. Guess what NOPE!! So I followed the harness into the switch and pushed in in a little and LO and BEHOLD...Houston we have a "CLICK" I put the bike in gear and it started right up!!!!! So I would like to thank all of you guys for getting my back to normal. Somehow during the first service the harness might have gotten stretched out a little or for whatever reason it was not making good contact with the switch. But I'm back baby!!! So again I send my thanks!! As for the kickstand switch I had it removed when I had my turn signal fluid and brake light antifreeze replaced!!! So thanks again all!!!!!!!

Ride hard and never put your Away wet !

Spyder Garage

Good to hear.