Thread: Uh-oh...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red face Uh-oh...

Well something sure is acting odd... The Missus and I were on a ride to Cooperstown, NY. We stopped for a medication break and upon re-starting, I tried to pull away in 1st, I got a racheting sound and feel. At idle it didn't seem to make any extra noise. I set the parking brake and shut things off and I got the alarm for no parking brake engagement???
    Upon restart the engine wouldn't settle into its 1400 rpm idle.. It would race at 2100 to 2300 rpm and then shut down. After a couple of restarts it cleared its head and we continued on our rude. BUT... every stop I had the high rpm shutoff thing going on. I didn't get any more ratcheting from the transmission though...
    Once we got home that evening I tried to restart it and got a warning light on the dash... the first of the day...
    Does anybody have any idea where I should start looking??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Not good bro. Wish I knew what it is. We will have some good ideas soon no doubt. Sure can ruin a trip though. Hang in there Bob.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well something sure is acting odd... The Missus and I were on a ride to Cooperstown, NY. We stopped for a medication break and upon re-starting, I tried to pull away in 1st, I got a racheting sound and feel. At idle it didn't seem to make any extra noise. I set the parking brake and shut things off and I got the alarm for no parking brake engagement???
    Upon restart the engine wouldn't settle into its 1400 rpm idle.. It would race at 2100 to 2300 rpm and then shut down. After a couple of restarts it cleared its head and we continued on our rude. BUT... every stop I had the high rpm shutoff thing going on. I didn't get any more ratcheting from the transmission though...
    Once we got home that evening I tried to restart it and got a warning light on the dash... the first of the day...
    Were you able to pull any codes from it either while it was running or afterwards?

Spyder Garage

Unhappy ACS Problem

I have the ACS with the remote adjustment, when my wife and I ride, the compressor is going on and off, on and off all the time. The book says that it is normal to hear pressurs release or the compressor operating while the engine is running, however it is constantly going on and off.

I pumped it up in my driveway (50psi) over night it is down to Zero. I did this several times and it always looses pressure, it also looses psi within 4 to 5 hours, (with no one on it). While riding, it does this at any of the five settings. Is this normal???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I have the ACS with the remote adjustment, when my wife and I ride, the compressor is going on and off, on and off all the time. The book says that it is normal to hear pressurs release or the compressor operating while the engine is running, however it is constantly going on and off.

I pumped it up in my driveway (50psi) over night it is down to Zero. I did this several times and it always looses pressure, it also looses psi within 4 to 5 hours, (with no one on it). While riding, it does this at any of the five settings. Is this normal???
    Check out this service bulletin
    SERVICE BULLETIN
    2010-15, REAR AIR SUSPENSION LEAKAGE INSPECTION
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

The ratcheting thing would make me think Front sprocket.
    I would check that out first, If it is it's better to catch it before it takes out the shaft spines.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Should I pull them out and lube em up with some of that di-electric grease?

Speaking of grease... the engine oil level was low also; once I got to digging around under the Tupperware...

Spyder Garage

See your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default dialectric grease

Somewhere in my shop manual it said never to put such grease on the relay pins. The warning was pretty dire and said something about a pale horse.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your "glitch". This problem sounds just the opposite of what I posted was happening to me--funny tranny noise but would not accelerate or go into higher gear.

If it happens again--or persists--recommend seeing the service department.

My problem just went away--as in the computer picked up a bug or something.

Dealer could not find anything wrong with mine.

Let us know what transpires with yours.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-11-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I'd start by unplugging one at a time and plugging them back in.

Dielectric grease is an insulator and on these kinds of connections I would avoid it. It's great for making sure the boots come off spark plugs and on some type of push on connectors to seal out water vapor.

That's an opinion and maybe someone else can shed more light on that question.
    I Agree,,
    Dielectric Grease;;
    It can stop the flow of current in some cases.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got it; no grease!
    I'm hoping that the bike is just sulking a bit because it hadn't been out of Town on the road in too dang long...
    If the oil level is too high in the engine it'll just pump the excess into the airbox... I guess once the oil level in there gets too high it'll pump it into the brake fluid reservoirs maybe???

I've got multiple issues going on here and trying to get my head wrapped around all of them at once is making for a pretty rough Monday...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I'll be unplugging and plugging while dry!

(Why am I hearing banjo music in the backyard??)

Spyder Garage

I will turn the volume down--sorry about that.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Check out this service bulletin
    SERVICE BULLETIN INSPECTION
    Thank you for the information, but how in the world do I get a copy of the bulletin, I tried all the places I know to get a copy of it, can you help. My dealer said it was normal for it to keep running.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm starting to get the feeling that my sphincter has grabbed me by the throat and isn't gonna let go...
    I just got the "Big Orange" and it said "EBD failure"...
    How bad is that one?????????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Thank you for the information, but how in the world do I get a copy of the bulletin, I tried all the places I know to get a copy of it, can you help. My dealer said it was normal for it to keep running.
    It should not leak down overnight. Your dealer can look up the service bulletin. Better yet, find a new dealer. If you still cannot get things taken care of, contact BRP Tech Support (Carlo).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I believe that the EBD brake failure has to do with the parking brake set up. I would re-boot again and see what happens. I got that on Saturday when I got in to much of a hurry to engage the electronic brake and shut off Spyder. It went away when I shut off the Spyder and re-started.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The only reference I can find in the codes say "EBD Fault and the exclamation mark.
    This, it suggests relates to an EBD fault (duh) or a related part.
    It also suggests that there is NO EBD operation and that rear wheel lock up may occur under heavy braking.
    There is also a suggestion that the rear wheel speed sensor is disconnected or faulty.
    ie. there is no connection in the system betwen the front and rear brakes to proportion pressure between front and back to stop lock up or other nasties from happening
    It should be in conjunction with other codes
    Hope this helps
    cheers
    Pete
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete!
    I had replaced the rear brake pads about 350 miles ago, so I was playing with the brakes...
    I had also added a bit of fluid to the reservoirs... it's beginning to look as if it was the "loose nut behind the bars" again...