Spyder Garage

Default I'm Not a Happy Camper!!!

On 3 separate occasions the check engine light came on. Bike was running fine, no funny sounds or smells. No fluids coming out. Decided to check around here and found out how to check the codes (the mode/bright light thing). Just went out to the garage to do that. Nothing......

I have lights, but it won't start!! It says it's in first gear as well--when I'm 99% sure I put it in neutral when I turned it off last night!!! I always do!!! I checked the connections--they're tight. Just stuck it on the battery tender to see if that is the problem. If not, I'll be calling the shop tomorrow afternoon!!!!

I know they had to bring it in from another dealer, so I'm thinking that other dealer never checked the battery out. If it came from the dealer I think it did, it was sitting on their showroom floor about 3 months ago..... If it is the battery, I'm gonna be a bit ticked off!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you try stepping on brake while cranking the engine?
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    On 3 separate occasions the check engine light came on. Bike was running fine, no funny sounds or smells. No fluids coming out. Decided to check around here and found out how to check the codes (the mode/bright light thing). Just went out to the garage to do that. Nothing......

I have lights, but it won't start!! It says it's in first gear as well--when I'm 99% sure I put it in neutral when I turned it off last night!!! I always do!!! I checked the connections--they're tight. Just stuck it on the battery tender to see if that is the problem. If not, I'll be calling the shop tomorrow afternoon!!!!

I know they had to bring it in from another dealer, so I'm thinking that other dealer never checked the battery out. If it came from the dealer I think it did, it was sitting on their showroom floor about 3 months ago..... If it is the battery, I'm gonna be a bit ticked off!!!!

Are you applying the brakes when trying to start?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you have not hit the "emergency cut engine switch"
    Also, mine shows to be in first until the engine starts. Then N appears.
    Good luck

Spyder Garage

Silly girlie!!!! That was the problem..... I forgot to hit the brakes..... Lack of sleep on my part....

Still doesn't explain the check engine light though..... And yes, I shut it off in neutral!!!!!

I checked for a code and didn't find one. Now I'm even more baffled!!!!

Spyder Garage

Silly girlie!!!! That was the problem..... I forgot to hit the brakes..... Lack of sleep on my part....

Still doesn't explain the check engine light though..... And yes, I shut it off in neutral!!!!!

You aren't the first with this issue and likely won't be the last.. I got a call from a buddy recently who was stranded in pouring rain with same symptoms.. I suggested the same fix and he immediately got underway.. Glad its not something serious.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No permanent harm; no foul!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Was the check engine light on when you tried to retrieve the code?? The headlight switch only works if the code is active I believe, it will not show past history, you need BUDS to read that. The only time I had a check engine light go on with no other messages is when I went through a lot more water then I should have becasue of a flood. I beleive what caused mine was wet connectors from the water, possibly the 02 sensor plugs. I never saw the light again after it dried out for a day.

Spyder Garage

Glad you got your problem worked out. It is great that there are so many people willing to help with problems here.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    Was the check engine light on when you tried to retrieve the code?? The headlight switch only works if the code is active I believe, it will not show past history, you need BUDS to read that. The only time I had a check engine light go on with no other messages is when I went through a lot more water then I should have becasue of a flood. I beleive what caused mine was wet connectors from the water, possibly the 02 sensor plugs. I never saw the light again after it dried out for a day.
    The check engine light was not on when I tried to check it. I'll be riding for about 15-20 mins and it comes on. Nothing else--no other warning lights, etc. At first I thought it was a heat issue (it was over 90 degrees here both days), but the bars never went past 5. It sure has NOT been raining here (except today, and I was at work while Spyder was in the garage all safe at home).

It's supposed to be dry tomorrow, so I'll give it another "run" and see if it comes on again. This time I'll know how to check it and see if anything shows up!!! Thanks folks for the tips!!! I'll let you know if anything happens!!!

Spyder Garage

A lot of check engine lights on vehicles are caused by O2 sensor errors, and the Spyder is no exception. There are many other possibilities, of course. As was said, an owner can only retrieve active codes. If you had an transient sensor fault, or a similar issue, the dealer will have to retrieve the occurred code(s) through BUDS. I'd suggest a visit to the dealer ASAP. You could have a fouled spark plug or a similar issue. Repeated check engine warnings should be investigated.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A lot of check engine lights on vehicles are caused by O2 sensor errors, and the Spyder is no exception. There are many other possibilities, of course. As was said, an owner can only retrieve active codes. If you had an transient sensor fault, or a similar issue, the dealer will have to retrieve the occurred code(s) through BUDS. I'd suggest a visit to the dealer ASAP. You could have a fouled spark plug or a similar issue. Repeated check engine warnings should be investigated.
    Thanks for the advice! I ran it up to my sisters' house last night (about 10-15 miles from me). No check engine light!!! I took the long way home as well, still no check engine light!!! YAY!!!!

I figure it was one of two things: the gas cap not being tight enough--I clicked it several times after filling up. I removed it and clicked it back on a crap-load of times!!! I don't know if it's like the new cars are or not---a sensor on it to make sure it's seated properly. The other thing: I'm not used to having to step on the brakes when I start it. It will start in neutral WITHOUT the brakes being applied. Didn't have to touch the brakes on the 2-wheeler!!! I'm thinking of the two, it's probably the brakes thing..... We'll see!! If it cools down here later (in the 90's again today), I'll take her for another spin and see what happens.