Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bum signal lights

I got my 2008 sm5 in for the DPS and other updates. Ran like a dream except the signal lights became intermittent.
    Now I don't know about you folks but I don't want a Spyder coming off warranty with an intermittent electrical problem.
    The tech ordered the handlebar switch and replaced that....not to tell anyone how to do their job but....'cmon there is 1 moving part in there. It either makes contact or it doesn't. Needless to say it wasn't the problem. Bike is still in the shop (over two weeks) and they have ordered an new instrument cluster for it. Is this making sense to anyone? I know the can bus system is pretty funky on the Spyder and deeply integrated so maybe this will fix it?
    Any thoughts appreciated
    Max

Spyder Garage

Yes, it makes sense. The Spyder controls are digital, and are acted on by the computer in the cluster or other modules. Be patient, they will get it taken care of.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by max continuous View Post
    I got my 2008 sm5 in for the DPS and other updates. Ran like a dream except the signal lights became intermittent.
    Now I don't know about you folks but I don't want a Spyder coming off warranty with an intermittent electrical problem.
    The tech ordered the handlebar switch and replaced that....not to tell anyone how to do their job but....'cmon there is 1 moving part in there. It either makes contact or it doesn't. Needless to say it wasn't the problem. Bike is still in the shop (over two weeks) and they have ordered an new instrument cluster for it. Is this making sense to anyone? I know the can bus system is pretty funky on the Spyder and deeply integrated so maybe this will fix it?
    Any thoughts appreciated
    Max
    This may be completely different from your problem. I have some ESI mods for the front fender tip lights and also the rear of the front fender. Those lights on the left side were intermittent. Long story short; the posi-tap had been twisted so tight that it cut through some of the strands of wire. This caused a higher resistance/wire heating and those turn signals would go from blinking normal to not blinking.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know Scotty...she's an odd duck electrically and I guess that makes sense.
    And wyliec, they did do a thorough trace of the harness and rechecked all the connectors and added dialetric grease. I thought like you, maybe something got pinched when they did the DPS.
    Don't get me wrong guys I'm not knocking my shop. They are doing what they can but it's still frustrating to take my trailer for a 400 km. drive and not have spydie back in the barn. The $50.00 deductible I paid for the warranty kinda irked me as well. (computer can't pay it back to me)
    Thanks for the info I think they may be on to something.
    Max

Spyder Garage

Best of luck, and let us know if this resolves the issue for you. Of course, with the new cluster your mileage will be set back to 0.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Best of luck, and let us know if this resolves the issue for you. Of course, with the new cluster your mileage will be set back to 0.
    I suppose so. you would think with it being digital they could pop the numbers in there.
    Not a biggie ..it's only got 6000 km. on it anyway.
    Max

Spyder Garage

Of course, with the new cluster your mileage will be set back to 0.
    I suppose so. you would think with it being digital they could pop the numbers in there.Max
    It is possible to "pop the numbers in there". They need to to have both the new and the old dash available for BUDS and there is a very specific procedure that must be followed to accomplish this. But it CAN be done.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    It is possible to "pop the numbers in there". They need to to have both the new and the old dash available for BUDS and there is a very specific procedure that must be followed to accomplish this. But it CAN be done.
    What is your source for this information? It is opposite everything that has been reported by both dealers and owners, and it is not shown in the shop manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I believe the problem is legal, not technical.
    The mileage count could be changed by BUDS but it is not part of what a dealer can do.

Imagine giving dealers the power to punch in any mileage number they wanted.

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am) it is illegal in a lot of jurisdictions to change mileage numbers. Even when you buy a used Speedo from the boneyard they are required to give you a certificate indicating the miles.
    What a field day a dealer can have, if they had control over the odometer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I believe the problem is legal, not technical.
    The mileage count could be changed by BUDS but it is not part of what a dealer can do.

Imagine giving dealers the power to punch in any mileage number they wanted.

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am) it is illegal in a lot of jurisdictions to change mileage numbers. Even when you buy a used Speedo from the boneyard they are required to give you a certificate indicating the miles.
    The laws were created to prevent such shenanigans.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Any thoughts appreciated
    Max
    I don't understand what you mean by intermittent?? Do you mean you couldn't sometimes turn them on and sometimes they don't respond at all? Or do you mean they would turn on but not stay on?? I don't see the instrument cluster being the issue at all and sounds like to me they are just guessing. I would think they should also check to make sure they have calibrated the angle / yaw sensor propery and connected everyting properly when they did the DPS swap. The computer uses this information to cancel the signal when u make a turn. Wondering if not calibrating or connecting things properly is causing the issue. But I will look at the diagram to be sure the cluster is not actually generating the signal.
    Last edited by lightman02; 07-11-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And then your warranty would start all over again
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    And then your warranty would start all over again
    ...except that the warranty is by time, and mileage is unlimited.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ...except that the warranty is by time, and mileage is unlimited.
    HA, ha, ha! I can hear "Doh" from here and I'm very far away!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by intermittent?? Do you mean you couldn't sometimes turn them on and sometimes they don't respond at all? Or do you mean they would turn on but not stay on?? I don't see the instrument cluster being the issue at all and sounds like to me they are just guessing. I would think they should also check to make sure they have calibrated the angle / yaw sensor propery and connected everyting properly when they did the DPS swap. The computer uses this information to cancel the signal when u make a turn. Wondering if not calibrating or connecting things properly is causing the issue. But I will look at the diagram to be sure the cluster is not actually generating the signal.
    Well I was wrong, Nancy was right, the cluster is actually producing the turn signal. First time I've seen that, so hopedully replacing the cluster will solve your issue. Otherwise I suspect a faulty wire or loose connection. Good luck!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

First let me thank you all for the responses and ideas and for not making the usual jokes about "intermittent signal lights". "Are they working? yes...no..yes..no...yes..no..yes...no!
    Well I managed to sneak away today and pick up the bike. And the winner is........THE CLUSTER!
    To quote my tech from my bill...."Found that if cluster connector is held to the side it will work and if it is held to other side it will fail every time. Checked with new cluster." "Determined to be damage in cluster between pins and chip board". "Replaced cluster and programmed replacement to unit. Test function, O.K."
    Works for me! $50.00 deductible on BEST and DONE! Kudos again to Martin Motor Sports of Edmonton Alberta even with the initial OOPS! on diagnosis.
    Ryde safe
    Max

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    Well I was wrong, Nancy was right, the cluster is actually producing the turn signal. First time I've seen that, so hopedully replacing the cluster will solve your issue. Otherwise I suspect a faulty wire or loose connection. Good luck!!
    Well I think you can be forgiven! Darned things run on electricity/fuel/air/spark (different electricity) and Voo Doo!
    Thanks for your input,
    Max
    Last edited by max continuous; 07-15-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh..By the way. Oddly enough the mileage was reset with the new cluster but the Hrs. on the engine remained accurate.
    Max

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh..By the way. Oddly enough the mileage was reset with the new cluster but the Hrs. on the engine remained accurate.
    Max
    Your ECM keeps track of the hours.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sigh...Why couldn't the world just have been happy with a Chevy 350 cu engine and a Rochester Quadrajet.
    Now that made sense!!
    I could fix that with an American Dime (thinner than Canadian) and my Moms good serving spoon!
    Max

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Max
    Try these guys, you never know, they may be able to do it, it won't be free but if it bothers you it may be able to be done.

http://www.powls-speedometer.com/AboutUs/Default.aspx

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info but ya know??......can't be bothered. BRP knows the mileage and I just have to "carry the 6000" in my head for my service interval.
    All is good and if the monsoons in central Alberta stop I may yet get to ride!
    Trust me...100 mm in 24 hrs. is a lot!
    'cmon..get your rulers out..it's not that hard!
    Darned metric! They even made French mandatory in school here!
    Max