Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    I added V strip LED lights to the mirrors and wired them into the blinker lights. They are for sale on ebay for around $20. They have a adhesive backing. I like the way they look and can be easily seen in traffic.
    The thin wire is at the point of the V. I just ran it over the outside lip of the mirror frame. There is a rubber seal behind the mirror so the wire threads under that. The turn signal lens is easy to remove, just one screw. Fish the wires out and used wire taps. Make sure you connect +to+ and - to- or the LED lights will not work. If hooked up backwards just switch the wires and you are set. Now stash the extra wire inside the mirror housing and mount the lights using the foam tape. Make sure the glass is clean for best adhesion, you only get one chance to position them so choose your location carefully. Replace the lens and you are finished. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Just realized you were talking about an RT. Sorry I did this to my RS. A friend mounted the same lights to his RT so I know they will work there. Just not sure of the wire route.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I plan on trying LED's. Low power usage with brighter results. The next time I have the dash all apart I plan to take a look at this.

Word of caution. I have not looked into this, and have no idea if this will void my warranty or not so I will be checking around first.

That said, our new 2011 Cluster... is half the brightness of the 2010. So in all angles of the sun during the day I cannot tell if my blinkers are on or not. Very frustrating.......
    Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Yes. It was set @ 100% and I brought it all the way to 40% with no change at all to the blinkers in the dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozzzz View Post
    The contrast setting does not effect the turn signal indicator.
    I understand that. My error. The way the previous post was worded, it sounded like the display itself was dimmer. Not sure why changing clusters would affect indicator brightness. That is odd.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...and now the $64,000 dollar question from the peanut gallery!
    Assuming that I'm actually able to get something to stick to the mirror housing and I now have a couple of wires running from each mirror... how do I get in behind the dash to hook them up???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Assuming that I'm actually able to get something to stick to the mirror housing and I now have a couple of wires running from each mirror... how do I get in behind the dash to hook them up???
    Why do you want to hook them up behind the dash, Bob, when on the front side of the mirror is the indicator? Wouldn't that be the best option, to break into the indicator wiring there?

Now I'm wondering if I've missed something in suggesting so simple a solution. Is there a snag in doing that? I can tell you that's what I had in mind for a similar mod on my RT.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 07-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I'm not an electrician in real life... Sorry!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Why do you want to hook them up behind the dash, Bob, when on the front side of the mirror is the indicator? Wouldn't that be the best option, to break into the indicator wiring there?

Now I'm wondering if I've missed something in suggesting so simple a solution. Is there a snag in doing that? I can tell you that's what I had in mind for a similar mod on my RT.

Pop the mirrors off and you can splice into the 12v and ground there at the wiring already going to the mirrow. The twist lock splices make this an easy job. 15mins tops. .

I totally forgot about the video of the LED's, I'll post it on here this weekend.
    My Heaps:

2010 Spyder RT-AC SE5

1987 BUICK Turbo T - TURBO SBC Project still in the works - (11.3 @ 121 without the turbo installed N/A)

RIP - 1982 OLDS CUTLASS 11.02 @ 129.2mph

Sold -- 1987 BUICK Turbo T W02 11.61 @ 118mph

Sold -- 2004 DODGE SRT-4 S2 13.0 @ 111.9 mph

"...there's two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will see 'em,
    but the only thing that matters is that little line between 'em..."

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Pics and videos (day and night) below of the added 8mm led signal indicator lights. Also here is the link to the LEDs I used. http://cgi.ebay.com/20x-Green-LED-La...item53e83daca4

Night vid:

daytime vid:

My Heaps:

2010 Spyder RT-AC SE5

1987 BUICK Turbo T - TURBO SBC Project still in the works - (11.3 @ 121 without the turbo installed N/A)

RIP - 1982 OLDS CUTLASS 11.02 @ 129.2mph

Sold -- 1987 BUICK Turbo T W02 11.61 @ 118mph

Sold -- 2004 DODGE SRT-4 S2 13.0 @ 111.9 mph

"...there's two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will see 'em,
    but the only thing that matters is that little line between 'em..."

Spyder Garage

On my RT I installed < > arrows on my mirrors. The wire comes out on the tip and they come with 3M tape on the back. I drilled a small hole in back of mirror and spliced the wires inside. Does not interfear with removal of mirror. You see them flashing even in daylight and it also can be seen in back of you. I bought them on EBAY. Seller is badguystuff and they come in different colors. He is a US sellar with fast delivery. He even had me send photos after installation to see how they looked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't have a picture of those; do you??

Spyder Garage

Default Turn signals

Thats what i installed, wired to the org. wires in the mirror housing
    Works great and is noticable even in bright sunlight
    $9.00 Autozone
    My Spyder Mods:
    Head light and Fog light 100 watt HID,
    all other lights converted to LED,
    LED accent lights everywhere
    Superior Air Horns (153db)
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Ram mount cup holder, phone holder, ipad holder,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust
    http://spyder1attitude.com/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oohh... I really LIKE this idea...

Autozone... Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Added to my wish list

- Bakerbuilt airwings
    - shorter winshield I can see over when down and look through when up
    - Turn sig indicators I can see

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzi View Post
    Thats what i installed, wired to the org. wires in the mirror housing
    Works great and is noticable even in bright sunlight
    $9.00 Autozone
    I don't see the wire that goes to these in your picture.
    Where does the wire go/come to the lights?
    Was the price $9.00 per light?

Thanks
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Another question

I plan on ordering a set of EFX LED turn signal lights ($15.00 delivered on ebay) and adhering them to the outside edge of the mirrors. There is an existing small hole located in the housing, behind the outside edge of the mirror, that should allow me to fish the wires in through to the inside of the mirror housing so I can connect them directly to the existing signal light wires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    I don't see the wire that goes to these in your picture.
    Where does the wire go/come to the lights?
    Was the price $9.00 per light?

Thanks
    the wire come out off the triangular tip on the light, i mounted the light close to the edge off the mirror so you dont see the wire.(if you look really close you be able to see the wire)
    As stated in another post, i drilled a little whole on the inside of the mirror housing and run the wire through and spliced in to the org. wiring at the mirror.
    And yes the price was around $9.00 for a pair of these.
    (come as a set of 2)

Hope that helps
    My Spyder Mods:
    Head light and Fog light 100 watt HID,
    all other lights converted to LED,
    LED accent lights everywhere
    Superior Air Horns (153db)
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Ram mount cup holder, phone holder, ipad holder,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust
    http://spyder1attitude.com/

Spyder Garage

I added LED lights from PEP Boys to my mirrors, you may want to check them out. I have a pic but its not very good. Simple install just using posi taps connected to the forward turn signal lights on each side.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default EFX LEDs...

Question: Are there any laws regarding exactly what color these lights should be?? Since they face rearward; I'm guessing that they have to be Red???

Spyder Garage

Question: Are there any laws regarding exactly what color these lights should be?? Since they face rearward; I'm guessing that they have to be Red???
    Good point - My machine is Red so I ordered red anyway. Looks like it will be a good mod. Being over 65 I am allowed 90 days to turn off the signal lights in NYS when they don't cancel but this will help being I can't see the dash indicator for crap. Also think it will help people following me know when I am going to turn. Have also installed the Back off mod. Brakes lights flash 3 times quick and one time long, then repeat. Great mod to get peoples attention when you are stopping. Friend was rear ended a few years ago and our whole group has gone to these. Work Great.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you mean that I have to wait another 10 years before I can snap that lever off in my Jeep?
    Where are you in the foothills?? I'm on the Southern edge... Sullivan County...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Good point - My machine is Red so I ordered red anyway. Looks like it will be a good mod.
    Yeah, colour co-ordination is important to me, too. It's really sad for what's left of my intellect but I can actually see where you're coming from. Just one thought I had - it's mighty good fortune for the continued safety of folks in NY traffic that you don't happen to ride a black Spyder....

Being over 65 I am allowed 90 days to turn off the signal lights in NYS when they don't cancel but this will help being I can't see the dash indicator for crap.
    Now this made me laugh all the way to my toes.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Don't know but I have seen many vehicles with Factory amber for turn signals imbedded in the mirrors. Probably have seen more amber than red.

Many rear turn signals are amber but there are also many red, so I suspect it does not really matter.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok ...so I have the LED arrays ...

... and taking the mirror off the RT is a piece of cake. But how do I get the mirror assembly apart to connect the wires to the turn signals?

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    ... and taking the mirror off the RT is a piece of cake. But how do I get the mirror assembly apart to connect the wires to the turn signals?

thehawk
    There are three hooks/clips that you press on and the cover pulls apart.
    One on the outer black plastic cover and another set on the main mirror assembly.
    HokieV

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BMF_RACING View Post
    Pop the mirrors off and you can splice into the 12v and ground there at the wiring already going to the mirrow. The twist lock splices make this an easy job. 15mins tops. .

I totally forgot about the video of the LED's, I'll post it on here this weekend.
    What's the technique for popping the mirrors(glass) off? I'm talking just the glass, not the whole assembly. I cracked the glass by adjusting it and hope to fit another glass on to it.
    Last edited by Bozzzz; 07-17-2011 at 01:15 PM.