Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Turn Signal Light Indicator Brightness

I find it really difficult to see the turn signal indicator on the dash especially while wearing sunglasses and visor.

Any ideas to make them brighter? Higher wattage bulbs? Are they easy to access?

Spyder Garage

Red face

I plan on trying LED's. Low power usage with brighter results. The next time I have the dash all apart I plan to take a look at this.

Word of caution. I have not looked into this, and have no idea if this will void my warranty or not so I will be checking around first.

That said, our new 2011 Cluster the used to replace our bad 2010 cluster, is half the brightness of the 2010. So in all angles of the sun during the day I cannot tell if my blinkers are on or not. Very frustrating.......
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I plan on trying LED's. Low power usage with brighter results. The next time I have the dash all apart I plan to take a look at this.

Word of caution. I have not looked into this, and have no idea if this will void my warranty or not so I will be checking around first.

That said, our new 2011 Cluster the used to replace our bad 2010 cluster, is half the brightness of the 2010. So in all angles of the sun during the day I cannot tell if my blinkers are on or not. Very frustrating.......
    Did you check the contrast settings for the new cluster in your setup menus?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I added an green 8mm LED to the far left/right of my analog gauges in the trim and wired them into the factory blinker wires. No more wondering if they are on or not. I'll post a video once I get a chance. I think it cost me $5 for the leds (w/mounts) off ebay. This was my first mod to the RT.
    My Heaps:

2010 Spyder RT-AC SE5

1987 BUICK Turbo T - TURBO SBC Project still in the works - (11.3 @ 121 without the turbo installed N/A)

RIP - 1982 OLDS CUTLASS 11.02 @ 129.2mph

Sold -- 1987 BUICK Turbo T W02 11.61 @ 118mph

Sold -- 2004 DODGE SRT-4 S2 13.0 @ 111.9 mph

"...there's two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will see 'em,
    but the only thing that matters is that little line between 'em..."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could something be mounted up on top of the mirrors?? A strip of LEDs perhaps?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default blinkers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Could something be mounted up on top of the mirrors?? A strip of LEDs perhaps?
    That sounds like a plan and would be a easy to do........

Freebob...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Being that my eyesight makes a bat's look good enough for sniper school, I never see those dang little lights! I just completely lack the apptitude to formulate a workable solution...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    That sounds like a plan and would be a easy to do........

Freebob...
    I m thinking of a strip of LEDs (in the slight form of an arrow) glued vertically along each outside edge of the mirrors. I thought of this months ago and suggested it to a friend and he installed them and likes the way they look/work.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use the lighted mud flap lights tied to my fender tip blinkers. They are so bright you can miss seeing them on. They have 18 super bright LED's for each side.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Has anybody turned the brake lights on a RT into turn signals also? The rear turnsignals are not the great. I think that the brake lights are very noticeable and would make a great turn signal too. Any thoughts. Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzzz View Post
    I find it really difficult to see the turn signal indicator on the dash especially while wearing sunglasses and visor.

Part of the problem may be in your glasses. If you are wearing polarized sunglasses, the digital display will tend to fade out and/or appear with a rainbow of colors in bright sunlight. I stopped wearing my polarized sunglasses and can see the display a lot better. My helmet visor and built-in sunglasses are not polarized.
    "Do or do not.
    There is no try."

Utopia Backrest, Seal Floorboards, HMT Tail Light, Elka Shocks,
    Evol Sway Bar, ESI Tall Wide Touring Windshield,
    SAENG/TA Quick-Scan Mirrors, Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzzz View Post

LED'S well help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Ryder View Post
    Part of the problem may be in your glasses. If you are wearing polarized sunglasses, the digital display will tend to fade out and/or appear with a rainbow of colors in bright sunlight. I stopped wearing my polarized sunglasses and can see the display a lot better. My helmet visor and built-in sunglasses are not polarized.
    Is this the reason I see rainbow colors in the windshield during brite sun light? I wear transition glasses. Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by recordingguy View Post
    Is this the reason I see rainbow colors in the windshield during brite sun light? I wear transition glasses. Bob
    It can be difficult to see the display in bright sunlight, but your glasses may be part of the problem especially if you can see the display without the glasses. I would have a problem when I stopped for gas and couldn't see the digital display on the gas pump. I took off my glasses and could see just fine. I wear transitions also, and I have more trouble seeing the display and the GPS when it is very bright outside. And I have the brightness/contrast set to 100% on the display.
    "Do or do not.
    There is no try."

Utopia Backrest, Seal Floorboards, HMT Tail Light, Elka Shocks,
    Evol Sway Bar, ESI Tall Wide Touring Windshield,
    SAENG/TA Quick-Scan Mirrors, Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Not having pulled my mirrors off...yet,
    is it possible to fit an led either on the black rim of the mirror or on/around the speaker cover/dash surround and splice into the indicator wiring?
    Is there sufficient room behind either for the back part of the led and the wiring to fit?
    Definitely needs some extra light somewhere tho
    cheers
    Pete
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Spyder Garage

Magic Man, where are you?

Spyder Garage

Just bin lookin in the Custom Dynamics catalog.
    They have an item called "tag bolts" which look like they might be the answer. (Page 69), $17 a pair
    Just fit them wherever and run the wires to an indicator feed.
    Think I might get me sum
    cheers

nomagicneon site has them too (customdynamics) but with a better picture
    Last edited by Vyperyder; 07-09-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...waiting to see some pics of this engineering excercise...

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yes. It was set @ 100% and I brought it all the way to 40% with no change at all to the blinkers in the dash.

After reading some of these great ideas... I am considering going down to Radio Shack and picking up a pair of tiny LED's to mount either on the top edge of the dash or the inside corners closest (Most likely my choice for ease of maintenance and such when removing panels) to the body but in the mirror assembly itself... Positioned so I can see it in my peripheral sight...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

I added these to my last bike, they have a self adhesive strip and are nice and bright. They reminded me to turn off my lights and more importantantly they warned vehicals that I was turning. You can buy a little longer size and trim off what you do not use in groups of 3.

Have a great day,

Randy

Spyder Garage

I added V strip LED lights to the mirrors and wired them into the blinker lights. They are for sale on ebay for around $20. They have a adhesive backing. I like the way they look and can be easily seen in traffic.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=MMcc;347920]I added V strip LED lights to the mirrors and wired them into the blinker lights. They are for sale on ebay for around $20. They have a adhesive backing. I like the way they look and can be easily seen in traffic.[/

Any chance of providing details with respect to wiring of these LED Chevrons?
    Were you able to run the wires behind the mirrors and through the mirror housing without dismantling the mirror housing?
    This is definitely a mod I am looking to do so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

The contrast setting does not effect the turn signal indicator.

Spyder Garage

This is what I am planning to install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-1...item5adea6404e

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

At least yours turn off, my right blinker won’t turn off. It used to turn on when you up shifted, now it is on all of the time,
    Wasted 9 hours at the dealer Friday with no fix, long story but I found the problem in ten minuets when I got it home, need parts and back to the dealer, ye haw
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation