Spyder Garage

Default Digital vs Analog Replacement Gauges

I am having a problem deciding between the two. I lean toward digital for the coolness factor. Would like to hear your pros and cons. Also, please provide a link to what you bought. I have never liked the OEM factory units. I am replacing the fuel with another fuel and the temp with a voltage. Also mention if it was "plug-n-play". Thanks.

cougar
    Last edited by cougar; 07-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

I replaced the factory gauges with volts and oil pressure in digital, when disconnecting the factory gauges the temp and fuel show up in the center gauge cluster. I suppose the only difference between analog and digital is the cool factor. I used AEM digital but their is lots of choices.
    Last edited by bobbobtar; 07-08-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Replaced my OEM gauges with Cyberdyne's Voltmeter and Air Temperature digital gauges in Cobalt Blue. Prior to that I had analog Voltmeter and Oil Pressure (Sterling Series) gauges from Teleflex.

I prefer the readouts on the digital gauges far better than the analog gauges and find the Ambient Air temperature readout more useful to me than the oil pressure gauge I had originally installed. Just a personal preference.

I would have liked to have found a dual air temperature/clock digital gauge but have had no luck yet.

Good luck on your search and install.

Spyder Garage

Hey Northstar, got any pics?
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cougar:

It depends on what you want to display. I bought Intellitronix digital fuel level and water temp. White numbers on a black background. Turns out the Intellitronix fuel level gauge does not have enough range for the Spyder sensor and I could not get it to function. I was sure that the water temp gauge would work because I was going to run independent of the OEM sensor. But, that would leave me with different gauges on each side, even if I could find a programmable digital fuel level gauge with sufficient range. So, the Intellitronix are on the garage shelf awaiting some other project. They are certainly cool but don't work for me. No plug and play here. If you want to display a clock or voltmeter or some such that doesn't use the OEM sensors, you could choose from several brands. None, AFAIK are plug and play for the Spyder. A digital clock would come close... just take power and ground from the gauge connector.

Spyder Garage

Smile

We need pix

Roger

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Reply to NorthStar

NorthStar...Dakota makes a combo gauge....air temp/clock. I have it but have not hooked it up yet. They are pricey. Also they are "true" 2 1/16 inch gauges....meaning they are not the norm of just over 2" in diameter...and fit nicely in a 2 1/16 inch gauge pod. These do not fit inside of a 2 1/16 inch gauge pod so well.

So I'm going to remove my gas gauge and temp gauge and put the air temp/clock on one side and the volt gauge on the other side. The guage pods I bought just aren't going ot work....

So look at Dakota Digital gauges...they are pricey...but look nice.

Duane
    Duane
    2011 RT-Limited - 2010 622, ESI front LED mudflap, Fender tips, HMT Brake Light, Rear BrightSides, Chrome accent center grove front fender, Bridgestone Pontenza(front), Shortee Antenna, Baker AirWings, Utopia Driver Backrest, Custom Mud Flap.

Pending(to be mounted yet) ClearWater lights, SealFloor Boards, Voltage gauge, clock/temp gauge, brake light LED indicators, turn signal LED indicators, manual switch for fan.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry I cannot upload pictures of my gauges from my IPad. It will have to waitp untiil Sunday when we get back from our camping trip.

Spyder Garage

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugesearch.aspx

Anyone used this fuel gauge on your Spyder RT?? There is a matching volt gauge.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cyberdyne Voltmeter & Ambient Air Temperature Pictures

Here are a few quick pictures of the Cyberdyne gauges that I have mounted in the dash of my RT.
    Picture 1 shows the gauges when the bike is not running while picture 2 shows the gauges under power. The voltmeter, on the left, rises to 13.5 volts on my RT while cruising and the temperature readout on the right gauge reads approximately 10% lower than the Spyder temperature gauge. The sender for the temperature gauge is mounted in the lower right side air scoop.

The cobalt blue digital readouts are fairly bright and standout well in direct sunlight. At night they light up the dash like a christmas tree and match my GloRyders attached to the front wheels. I also found chrome 2" hooded bezels at an auto store by chance and they gave me the finished look I was going for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugesearch.aspx

Anyone used this fuel gauge on your Spyder RT?? There is a matching volt gauge.
    i brought this one up before... was curious about trying out. seems like it would have the range but its 10 ohms less bandwidth then the other thread posted with the analog programmable fuel gauge that someone else put in.

i also wonder if i change only ONE guage the fuel guage if it will cause the digital guages to appear on the display. I like my display minimal. I turned off the RPM and only display the Speed.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

If you read the installation sheet, it appears that it should work.