Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't know what the bore dia. is on the arm... but it does not really matter... Looks to me like you could take a piece of pipe (the right size) and weld a plate in between and make a whole new arm... If no pipe is the right size...take a piece of solid rod and drill to right size. Looks easy to make....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's getting all of the pieces nailed back together...
    THAT'S the fun part!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike's good with wrenches
    But computers???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    I don't know what the bore dia. is on the arm... but it does not really matter... Looks to me like you could take a piece of pipe (the right size) and weld a plate in between and make a whole new arm... If no pipe is the right size...take a piece of solid rod and drill to right size. Looks easy to make....
    ..............PLUS YOU'VE MADE ME WET MY SELF WITH THAT JOKE ........................................pLEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEZE TAKE PICS ...........Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

It's a bit more complicated than you might imagine. The bottom is a metric hex that is broached in and the top has plain bearings pressed into the arm. Seems like no matter how long you search you can't find metric ID pipe or hex pipe. Oh and the hex has to be in a certain orientation for the stepper motor to work correctly. I think the unit has an absolute encoder on the stepper motor...

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .........However in the whole scheme of things a pic is not important ......The elements of the cure are .....I made two side plates ( of steel ) custom ground the ends of these to fit into/on the factory cast ends .......then I wrapped the entire " arm " with approx. 7 1/2 in. of 1/16 steel strap.......and then slowly welded the plates to the strap.....First one side , then I inserted the OEM arm , then put on the other plate and weld that....................I would BET MY LIFE that this will not break...............Prior to painting it , I actually put it in my vise and hit it a few times with a hammer ..............scuffed the metal slightly ..........but that was all it did ............It's going on my new RT to re-place the OEM piece. I'm not going to wait for that to break, which from the sounds of this thread there is high likely-hood ..............Mikeguyver
    Great news !!
    So, what can the rest of us do ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    It's a bit more complicated than you might imagine. The bottom is a metric hex that is broached in and the top has plain bearings pressed into the arm. Seems like no matter how long you search you can't find metric ID pipe or hex pipe. Oh and the hex has to be in a certain orientation for the stepper motor to work correctly. I think the unit has an absolute encoder on the stepper motor...

JT

How about a metric deep well impact socket with the 1/4" drive square end drilled out or cut off?

images.jpg

Just trying to help the design process and keep this moving if I can.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

.........However in the whole scheme of things a pic is not important ......The elements of the cure are .....I made two side plates ( of steel ) custom ground the ends of these to fit into/on the factory cast ends .......then I wrapped the entire " arm " with approx. 7 1/2 in. of 1/16 steel strap.......and then slowly welded the plates to the strap.....First one side , then I inserted the OEM arm , then put on the other plate and weld that....................I would BET MY LIFE that this will not break...............Prior to painting it , I actually put it in my vise and hit it a few times with a hammer ..............scuffed the metal slightly ..........but that was all it did ............It's going on my new RT to re-place the OEM piece. I'm not going to wait for that to break, which from the sounds of this thread there is high likely-hood ..............Mikeguyver
    Here is a step by step
    On the toolbar above is a button for "Gallery" Click it
    You will see several choices click "add album"
    Give it a title say... Mike's Spyder and save it.

Now go back to "Gallery" and click "my albums" and you will see "Mike's Spyder" click it and the tool bar's first tool is "upload photos" click it and browse where you have stored your photos. I have a folder on my desktop called can am that I store them in. Click on the photo and up load it click done at the bottom when you have uploaded all you want.

Next screen will show you all you just did and allows you to put descriptions (or not) then click "save" and all the photos are now in the folded under My Albums called mike's Spyder. Click the pic to enlarge it, right click to copy and then paste on any thread. Easy Peasey.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

..............PLUS YOU'VE MADE ME WET MY SELF WITH THAT JOKE ........................................pLEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEZE TAKE PICS ...........Mikeguyver
    Laugh all you want to but understand... If one person can make this... another can make it and improve on it... You see I have a surface grinder, lathe, milling machine, square well grinders, a lot of other stuff that most people have no idea what it is use to make, and am a certified welder in MIG, TIG, Stick, and Auto weld....Not to mention brazing and silver solder... So something that looks hard to them may look easy to another. I forget sometimes I forget that....

Spyder Garage

Default MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA...

Laugh all you want to but understand... If one person can make this... another can make it and improve on it... You see I have a surface grinder, lathe, milling machine, square well grinders, a lot of other stuff that most people have no idea what it is use to make, and am a certified welder in MIG, TIG, Stick, and Auto weld....Not to mention brazing and silver solder... So something that looks hard to them may look easy to another. I forget sometimes I forget that....
    .......OK let's start fresh..............Have you actually taken this part out of an RT and examined it closely ? ? ?..............Because if you haven't then I think you are just taking a GUESS about how this IS MADE AND HOW IT WORKS .......you really can't appreciate the complexity of the issues from some " fiche " pictures ....................Also if you think this PART is so simple to replicate ......Then please give me your opinion as to why it hasn't been done yet.............I await your answers on this .........Mikeguyver .............................PS , I also await to hear of your announcement of the production date for your " FIX " for this part......??????
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-07-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MikeGuyver,
    I sent you an email this morning...
    If you can take a picture of the strut, and hook it to a reply to my email; I'll post it for you in here!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

.......OK let's start fresh..............Have you actually taken this part out of an RT and examined it closely ? ? ?..............Because if you haven't then I think you are just taking a GUESS about this IS MADE AND HOW IT WORKS .......you really can't appreciate the complexity of the issues from some " fiche " pictures ....................Also if you think this PART is so simple to re-plicate ......Then please give me your opinion as to why it hasn't been done yet.............I await your answers on this .........Mikeguyver .............................PS , I also await to hear of your announcement of the production date for your " FIX " for this part......??????
    Yes I have looked at it.. inspected for cracks on bottem side and with my skills no problem... not in this kind of business so no production but my own.... if mine starts to crack... not cracked yet so if not broke don't fix it.... no pics... just like you said..."However in the whole scheme of things a pic is not important "

Spyder Garage

Default LOOKED AT IT

Yes I have looked at it.. inspected for cracks on bottem side and with my skills no problem... not in this kind of business so no production but my own.... if mine starts to crack... not cracked yet so if not broke don't fix it.... no pics... just like you said..."However in the whole scheme of things a pic is not important "
    .....When you say ...." LOOKED AT IT "....was it still on your Spyder when you " looked at it "................if so, then you haven't a clue what is involved with either ...repairing a broken one or creating a new one................ ..................​So was the arm on or off the Spyder ?????????

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

.....When you say ...." LOOKED AT IT "....was it still on your Spyder when you " looked at it "................if so, then you haven't a clue what is involved with either ...repairing a broken one or creating a new one................ ..................​So was the arm on or off the Spyder ?????????
    OFF!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default PICS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    MikeGuyver,
    I sent you an email this morning...
    If you can take a picture of the strut, and hook it to a reply to my email; I'll post it for you in here!
    ...OK....When Dee shows up we'll try..........and my E-Mail takes forever for it to show up on my screen and I don't know why ....I have ? high speed access.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool...

Spyder Garage

Default THIS PART

OFF!!!!!
    ......" OFF " .....Really ?????............Then I guess I'm a TOTAL MORON because I really ,really, really don't see the simplicity in making a new one ...............and I'm not ALONE in this because NO ONE else has done it yet .....................................Oh wait I have actually made a part to repair the arm......Talk is cheap let's see you make one . ............................Mikeguyver

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

......" OFF " .....Really ?????............Then I guess I'm a TOTAL MORON because I really ,really, really don't see the simplicity in making a new one ...............and I'm not ALONE in this because NO ONE else has done it yet .....................................Oh wait I have actually made a part to repair the arm......Talk is cheap let's see you make one . ............................Mikeguyver
    What is your problem???? Yes I guess you are a moron if you don't believe me..... I still say it is not difficult for ME to make.... You have no idea what I can do or not do.... So yes a moron you would be if you do not know the skill of this person and put me down...So Good bye Blueknight... you have lost all credibility with me...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay...
    Who's ready for some ice cream??
    When do the Pre-Season Football games start? My Missus is really starting to get anxious over the start of the season...
    Does anybody know How Much that NFL full-access channel costs? Do you think that it would be an acceptable anniversary gift for a fan?

Spyder Garage

Default morons

What is your problem???? Yes I guess you are a moron if you don't believe me..... I still say it is not difficult for ME to make.... You have no idea what I can do or not do.... So yes a moron you would be if you do not know the skill of this person and put me down...So Good bye Blueknight... you have lost all credibility with me...
    ..........It's sad that reading comprehension has fallen by the wayside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Michael...
    It's okay to take an opposing position...
    But it's not cool, to attack the man!

Are we good?

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Michael...
    It's okay to take an opposing position...
    But it's not cool, to attack the man!

Are we good?
    ve What attack ??????.....................and what I refer to me being is one thing ,,,, You think He should refer to me as being a Moron...................Bob you are very selective in who you reprimand and it seems to always be ME and never anyone else ...........Why is that ??????

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ve What attack ??????.....................and what I refer to me being is one thing ,,,, You think He should refer to me as being a Moron...................Bob you are very selective in who you reprimand and it seems to always be ME and never anyone else ...........Why is that ??????
    I can understand what you're saying... I DID try the "ice-cream tactic" first; he stopped... you kept up the pace.

I love you. Bro... Just please try to lighten up a little bit! You have TONS of great ideas; that doesn't mean that everybody else can't tie their own shoelaces without oxygen... (like me!)
    Are we good??

Spyder Garage

ve What attack ??????...........................Bob you are very selective in who you reprimand and it seems to always be ME and never anyone else ...........Why is that ??????
    It must be tough love. I don't care for the name calling myself. By anyone! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL