Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Heim Joint?

It seems like since the problem is related to the windshield torqueing around and cracking the bracket, a better bracket design would include a heim joint (ball end) at the windshield, and some spacers to make up the gap? Then when the windshield torques around on rough roads the ball can wiggle instead of pressuring the bracket. Something more in common with the sway bar ends Baja Ron offers?
    The spacers between the heim joint and the windshield brackets could be wholly or partially made of rubber tubing as well, to allow a degree of lateral movement with shock absorbing capability. Cup washers or springs could be used as well, but simpler is usually better.
    Last edited by reverendg; 04-12-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

The main problem is the 3 holding pins with circlips on 2010-11 RT models, many broke in Québec due to the quality of our roads , the pins with circlips became realy loose in the bushing and the shaking of the windshield did put a real stress on the center bracket . BRP did replace the pins on 2012 model years and later . I did replace , on numerous 2010 and 2011 RT a lot loose pins and circlips for the pins and scews kits ...problem solve.
    The shaking and looseness of windshield = broken bracket sooner or later .

Spyder Garage

Default removing windshield

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    And which physics law you would be referring to?
    Try removing your windshield and see if you can broke the 100mhp.

Spyder Garage

Default This looks like a job for BajaRon !

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They're not available as a separate piece...
    Unless you look to the aftermarket; or a really good machine shop!
    Ron, You've done so well with Heim Joint Links, Anti-Sway bars and Spark Plug Wires.
    Any interest in this challenge ?
    I know I would buy one in a New York Minute.
    Make that a New York Second.

Just asking......................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I've been considering making a repair/reinforcement for the center bracket if there is enough interest in this.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I've been considering making a repair/reinforcement for the center bracket if there is enough interest in this.

JT

I'd buy two and install them just so I WONT have the problem when its not convenient. Things never break when it's convenient.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

JT

I would be interested if it was easy to fit and would not need to reset the screen, Otherwise I would even be happier with a manual adjustment like the one on the ST esp if all the fittings were in Stainless Steel due to the exposure of the fittings to all that nature can throw at us

Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightening View Post
    Yes, please.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

JT
    I vote yes !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

It looks a little tight but I think I can make something to work...

JT

Spyder Garage

JT

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

JT
    Let me know if you want a crash test dummy for install and testing. I will even video it!

Put me on the list for one please.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default broken windsheild bracket

Check your windshield brackets often:
    They have been known to fail occasionally. The consensus is if you run with your shield "full-down" most of the time, it will cause undue stress on the middle bracket, which raises and lowers the shield. Move the shield up slightly off the metal-stop to avoid the potential damage. Keep in mind you cannot replace just the bracket. The entire lift-mechanism has to be replaced to the tune of around $600.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

They have been known to fail occasionally. The consensus is if you run with your shield "full-down" most of the time, it will cause undue stress on the middle bracket, which raises and lowers the shield. Move the shield up slightly off the metal-stop to avoid the potential damage. Keep in mind you cannot replace just the bracket. The entire lift-mechanism has to be replaced to the tune of around $600.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 Windshield Problem

Check out my threads on the same problem "2010 Windshield Problem". These arms are breaking all over the place and BRP should pick up the tab. I am out of warranty and trying to get my dealer to get BRP to at least supply the parts. If you read my thread someone said the arm itself cannot be replaced the whole motor assembly has to be purchased at close to &700.00 not including labor. We should petition BRP to own up to this known design problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    This is my second dogbone.

It's starting to break.

I need to find out if it's covered by the BEST Warranty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JT
    Please do. I'd buy in a flash!

Quote Originally Posted by jpbuch9309 View Post

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners
    My experience is that w/s position made no difference. Mine failed (600 mi from home) and I never run with the shield all the way down, resting on its stops. Your price is about right, the part keeps going up every year, but note that BRP flat rate is only 1/2 hour. There have been comments in this forum where dealers quoted much longer times. The dealer that did mine put in the warranty claim for 1/2 hour -- all that he was allowed. That's what the flat rate manual shows.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 Windshield Arm Crack

I'm at 17,000+ miles and still under extended warranty when I spotted the cracking. Talked with my mechanic and they have replaced a few assemblies at the ride's cost, not covered under warranty. When I mentioned others I knew of, he stated BRP does not think it is a problem so they aren't covering the fix. On the 2010s, he said you need the entire assembly and that is around $200; he said you can't get just the arm that breaks. I used JB Weld and so far seems to be holding fairly well but I'm watching these posts closely for a more permanent fix whether supplied by BRP or not. Rode with a group back in early June and we had to pull over one time when the leader on his 2012 RT had the arm break...a little disconcerting at 65 MPH according to him.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmdahnert View Post
    I'm at 17,000+ miles and still under extended warranty when I spotted the cracking. Talked with my mechanic and they have replaced a few assemblies at the ride's cost, not covered under warranty. When I mentioned others I knew of, he stated BRP does not think it is a problem so they aren't covering the fix. On the 2010s, he said you need the entire assembly and that is around $200; he said you can't get just the arm that breaks. I used JB Weld and so far seems to be holding fairly well but I'm watching these posts closely for a more permanent fix whether supplied by BRP or not. Rode with a group back in early June and we had to pull over one time when the leader on his 2012 RT had the arm break...a little disconcerting at 65 MPH according to him.
    As I said above, mine was replaced under warranty no problem at all. Not BEST but the original warranty. So I can't vouch for BEST. For 2011 and 2012 the part no. is 705004774 and lists for $604. Plus 1/2 hour labor. For 2010 the part no. is 705003266 and is shown as unavailable. Go figure.

Yeah, when that thing breaks, it's "disconcerting". The shield swings out and up and then settles against the top of the dash. At moderate speeds, it directs all the air flow right at your neck (I'm 6'2") -- noisy as all getout. At higher speeds it's pretty wild and when a semi passes you, that thing really flaps around from the turbulence. We had to ride 200 mi that way, fortunately mostly on the Natchez Trace which was a nice 50mph, no trucks, and little traffic. But not fun at all. My passenger was extremely uncomfortable, waiting for the worst to happen, whatever that might be.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELL YOU ASKED FOR IT

.......I have just finished making my first " re-placement " center arm bracket for the RT windshield ......I believe it is strong enough to tow my car. I just finished painting it so it hasn't been put back on my RT yet. I need to establish a procedure for re-mounting the arm and how it needs to be positioned so the windshield will operate within it's normal range.......More to follow.......Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmdahnert View Post
    Have no idea why your dealer would tell you this. The broken mount IS covered by warranty. If your dealer says otherwise you need to contact BRP directly. Its a defect, its broken. That is the basic premise of the warranty. Why on earth would you think otherwise. The bike cannot be ridden safely once the arm is broken. There have been a number of instances posted where BRP paid to warrant this repair. Its your dealer than needs fixing.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......I have just finished making my first " re-placement " center arm bracket for the RT windshield ......I believe it is strong enough to tow my car. I just finished painting it so it hasn't been put back on my RT yet. I need to establish a procedure for re-mounting the arm and how it needs to be positioned so the windshield will operate within it's normal range.......More to follow.......Mikeguyver

Look forward to seeing what you came up with. Let me know if I can post the photos for you....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Arm

There is a recall on the 2014 arm. The dealer ordered me a new one for my 20134 Not sure on other years

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Recall?
    Or Technical Service Bulletin?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Michael...
    If you don't figure out how to post pictures soon...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE PIC THINGY....HAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Michael...
    If you don't figure out how to post pictures soon...
    .........However in the whole scheme of things a pic is not important ......The elements of the cure are .....I made two side plates ( of steel ) custom ground the ends of these to fit into/on the factory cast ends .......then I wrapped the entire " arm " with approx. 7 1/2 in. of 1/16 steel strap.......and then slowly welded the plates to the strap.....First one side , then I inserted the OEM arm , then put on the other plate and weld that....................I would BET MY LIFE that this will not break...............Prior to painting it , I actually put it in my vise and hit it a few times with a hammer ..............scuffed the metal slightly ..........but that was all it did ............It's going on my new RT to re-place the OEM piece. I'm not going to wait for that to break, which from the sounds of this thread there is high likely-hood ..............Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-06-2014 at 02:03 PM.