Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Arm Broken

If you want you can skip all this and go right to the solution
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s... SKS 10-8-2014

Tonight on the way home from work, the arm that raises the windshield broke in two. One piece is still connected to the mechanism inside the dash, the other is still connected to the pivot on the windshield support frame.

I glued the pieces together and also glued some additional metal to the arm so it has additional reinforcement. I have no idea how long it will hold.

Of course, it's under warranty, and my dealer will surely replace it.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

Does anyone know if there has been a redesign of this arm, or is the only design the new 2011 windshield. I'm wondering if there was more to the windsheild redesign then simply increasing gas mileage. A smaller windshield will also put less stress on this arm.

I just want to make sure I don't replace a faulty design with one exactly the same.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 10-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine has broken as well

My windscreen control arm also broke last weekend at 25,000K's (15,500 miles).
    I know of two others that have had the same happen.

A friend of mine (SPYYDRMAN) on this forum broke his at 12,000K's (7000 miles) when he was visiting me and as he was 500 miles from home we pulled it out and welded it back together. Much stronger now.

On both his and mine you could see where it had been cracked for a while before it broke. The other end had cracks forming in it as well.

I took mine to my dealer to show the break and he has ordered me a new arm. In the mean time I have welded the broken one, both ends, and when I get the new part I will probably put it in the bottom of the trunk just in case, but I believe the welded one will last as it is now much stronger.
    Cheers
    Bob
    Last edited by SC92; 07-07-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    Time & Temp in South of OZ.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you guys recall hitting anything that might have given that system a nasty shock load?
    Would switching over to the smaller (and lighter) 2011 windshield reduce the chances of a catastrophic failure of these parts??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like metal fatigue from the constant shaking and buffeting to me. If there was a flaw in the casting at a stress point, the effects would be greater. Looks like a good thing to inspect carefully. Any pictures showing the exact location would be appreciated. I'm gonna add this to my pre-ride inspections.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

That's a substantial chunk of metal to fracture like that. It's one more thing to worry about. A picture or diagram of where on the arm the break occurred would be immensely useful. Never heard of such a thing happening on BeeEmm screens and their mounts and rise and fall mechanisms are more slender.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Wow, first I've heard of that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sounds like metal fatigue from the constant shaking and buffeting to me. If there was a flaw in the casting at a stress point, the effects would be greater. Looks like a good thing to inspect carefully. Any pictures showing the exact location would be appreciated. I'm gonna add this to my pre-ride inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    That's a substantial chunk of metal to fracture like that. It's one more thing to worry about. A picture or diagram of where on the arm the break occurred would be immensely useful. Never heard of such a thing happening on BeeEmm screens and their mounts and rise and fall mechanisms are more slender.
    My arm broke about 3/8" away from the mount to the windshield support.

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 07-08-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
    Spyder Garage

Default Link to photos

I did't take a photo of my broken arm but I have inserted a link to an Aussie Spyder forum that shows photos of one that has broken.
    Cheers
    Bob

http://www.ozspyderryders.com/index....sg5114#msg5114
    Time & Temp in South of OZ.

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, evidently the new part replacing the broken arm has a new part number,

I don't know if that means the new part is different, or if it is just some inventory change.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

If there is a new part number it is likely that there is a new arm design to replace the previous one. BRP will know how many screen arms have broken by the number they've been asked to replace.

I looked carefully at the photos of the Australian arm that fractured and it was clear that there had been a crack in the arm some time before the actual break. Of course, the natural thing to do was to immediately go and examine the arm on my own machine in case there was any hint that a similar thing was about to happen. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

I couldn't see anything untoward. My 2011 RT has a smaller screen and holding it at the lower centre I couldn't detect any play or looseness that would allow it to shake or rattle. It was obvious from the photos that the Oz arm had been shaking a lot prior to breaking, which may be relevant to its failure if metal fatigue was the cause. It follows that the forces operating on the arm will be less now that the screen height has been reduced.

The condition of the arm is something to bear in mind and keep a watchful eye on...
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 07-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 Spyder RT- S SES Model

My Windsheild bottom arm has just broken in the same place as ThreeWheels posted #7

Have e mailed my dealer to sort out a warranty replacement

Anyone know if they will just replace the broken bracket or the whole arm and are the newer brackets fitted
    stronger than the orginal ones

Ive posted some pictures to show the bracket

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 11-22-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can you guys slow down a bit ...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

When mine broke, the entire assembly was replaced, including the motor, not simply the broken arm.
    The new assembly seems a bit tighter, but nothing I would say is a design difference.

I traded my oversized 2010 windshield with someone who had a smaller 2011 windshield, and that has cut down on the shaking quite a lot.
    IBA #47122

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Here's our temporary fix

Last edited by CyncySpyder; 12-05-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    What size clamp?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

So much for the theory "They redesigned it in 2011 to make it better"......................
    IBA #47122

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    What size clamp?
    Honestly, I have no clue. We went with a larger than needed clamp, & I cut off the excess after we tightened it as tight as we could get it, & just to be safe, we put a small piece of tape over the end that we cut off, just to make sure it doesn't scratch the black plastic of the top dash, in case I did adjust it all the way down. Used it today going to work in a heavy downpour & I couldn't tell it was broke. Worked like a charm. Sorry I don't know the exact size to tell you, but it just needs to be large enough to fit over the entire metal mechanism. It takes a little bending a wiggling to get it in there just right, but once you do, tighten it, then cut off the excess & tape the end, your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    So much for the theory "They redesigned it in 2011 to make it better"......................
    Teds Red Sled IS a 2011 model, that is true. Someone posted that the part #'s are different, so I'm not sure why they would be different if they didn't change them Unless they meant that the part #'s are different for the wind-shield itself, cause as we all know, the shields ARE different. I'm not so sure about the metal adjustment mechanism in question tho & after looking at mine closer, it actually has another crack in it, besides the one that has broken through
    IMG_20111203_154637.jpg You see it towards the top there, its cracked, looks like an old crack, half way thru
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 12-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Interesting. This is the first I have seen this problem mentioned--but it sounds like there may be a flaw in the design. The problem seems to be happening on a few machines.

I am going to check mine since I am getting near that 25,000 miles point.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

MANY thanks for the info !!!

Spyder Garage

Honestly, I have no clue. We went with a larger than needed clamp, & I cut off the excess after we tightened it as tight as we could get it, & just to be safe, we put a small piece of tape over the end that we cut off, just to make sure it doesn't scratch the black plastic of the top dash, in case I did adjust it all the way down. Used it today going to work in a heavy downpour & I couldn't tell it was broke. Worked like a charm. Sorry I don't know the exact size to tell you, but it just needs to be large enough to fit over the entire metal mechanism. It takes a little bending a wiggling to get it in there just right, but once you do, tighten it, then cut off the excess & tape the end, your good to go.

Teds Red Sled IS a 2011 model, that is true. Someone posted that the part #'s are different, so I'm not sure why they would be different if they didn't change them Unless they meant that the part #'s are different for the wind-shield itself, cause as we all know, the shields ARE different. I'm not so sure about the metal adjustment mechanism in question tho & after looking at mine closer, it actually has another crack in it, besides the one that has broken through
    IMG_20111203_154637.jpg You see it towards the top there, its cracked, looks like an old crack, half way thru
    Someone told me you have a 2010 shield on your 2011, LOL.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Angry BROKEN 2010 RT BRACKET.(24,000miles)Out of warranty.

Have had bracket snap at 70mph in outside lane overtaking a very scary moment. went from virtually 0 to 70 mph wind threw my head back narrowly missing the wife who thought I had collapsed with a seizure. After realising what had happened I managed to avoid the barrier and then make my way to a layby where I pushed the screen back to the lower position and rode home at limited speed. Quoted Price for replacement £495 plus fitting plus VAT for complete unit as far as I know the bracket is not available separately. Unless assurance could be made that this part has been upgraded I would not dare ride with a replacement of the same quality knowing that this could happen again. "CHECK FOR CRACKS ITS NOT NICE".

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderghandi View Post
    Have had bracket snap at 70mph in outside lane overtaking a very scary moment. went from virtually 0 to 70 mph wind threw my head back narrowly missing the wife who thought I had collapsed with a seizure. After realising what had happened I managed to avoid the barrier and then make my way to a layby where I pushed the screen back to the lower position and rode home at limited speed. Quoted Price for replacement £495 plus fitting plus VAT for complete unit as far as I know the bracket is not available separately. Unless assurance could be made that this part has been upgraded I would not dare ride with a replacement of the same quality knowing that this could happen again. "CHECK FOR CRACKS ITS NOT NICE".
    Spyderghandi

See these post - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...n-your-machine

Having had my middle windshield bracket break twice

See outcome from BRP - May be worth you making a claim as well - For details see my post :-

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Afersales-Rep

Otherwise try a local engineering firm to see if the part can be welded and modified to make it stronger

Sorry to hear of your problem

Note - Not sure if you are aware of the UK Spyder Owners website - http://www.ukspyderweb.com/
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default It's happening again

This is my second dogbone.

It's starting to break.

I need to find out if it's covered by the BEST Warranty

IBA #47122